NBA Thread

The downfall of the Celtics defense the last 10 or so games of the regular season and in the playoffs has been staggering. 

Derrick White was 2nd team all defense and obviously Smart was DPOY last year, and we're just getting absolutely torched. Can't even keep Duncan Robinson from getting straight line drives this series. 

• Like 1

Just now, HoosierDom said:

I missed the first 6-7 minutes of the game, but in what I have seen, I don't think it has been unfair.

First thing Barkely said St halftime was how awful the refs have been. 

I can't point to probably six plays where the Celtics got clearly fouled at the rim and no clue, including both White and Smart drives late in the half. 

We're attacking and have taken 3 free throws. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

His head just isn’t in the game…don’t know what’s happening there. Smart and Tatum only two playing with any sense of fire.

He's been horrendous this entire series. Getting absolutely torched by Caleb Martin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First thing Barkely said St halftime was how awful the refs have been. 

I can't point to probably six plays where the Celtics got clearly fouled at the rim and no clue, including both White and Smart drives late in the half. 

We're attacking and have taken 3 free throws. 

Sure looked like an offensive foul on that first replay of a turnover and run-out they just showed.

Miami only has 8 free throws. One of those is from a T and the C's are lucky they don't have more of those.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He's been horrendous this entire series. Getting absolutely torched by Caleb Martin. 

Caleb has played fantastic….that’s do all to himself…Jalen has played equally poorly and that too is of his own doing. I don’t think one has to do with the other but simply both are at the opposite ends of the spectrum confidence wise. I think that comes from a few things…but the most important is coaching. Spols has put all his team in position to be successful. Fed their confidence…not sure what Mazzula has done for anyone on the Celtics. They are standing around and that isn’t a recipe for success.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

Sure looked like an offensive foul on that first replay of a turnover and run-out they just showed.

Miami only has 8 free throws. One of those is from a T and the C's are lucky they don't have more of those.

Well the give the Celtics 8 attempts instead of just 3, which easily should have happened, and this would be a different game right now. 

I was thinking the same thing Reggie said. Every team in the league has young players. Maybe they were on 2 way contracts or whatever.  But typically when the games get important, those guys are nowhere to be found.  Miami develops their young guys and gets them to the point that they actually trust them on the court and with important shots. 

Lose Tyler Herro.  No problem.  They don’t even flinch.  Other young guys step up.  

As good of an organization as there is in professional sports.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

At this point, let's just get completely boatraced and swept, only way I think the owners move on from Mazzulla after removing the interim tag a couple months ago. 

Maybe Horford will coach them…sounds like he has been last few quarters already. Celtics are too good to waste this talent on a bad coach. Not sure they can wait to let him learn on the fly. You only get so many opportunities with a championship caliber roster like this.

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was thinking the same thing Reggie said. Every team in the league has young players. Maybe they were on 2 way contracts or whatever.  But typically when the games get important, those guys are nowhere to be found.  Miami develops their young guys and gets them to the point that they actually trust them on the court and with important shots. 

Lose Tyler Herro.  No problem.  They don’t even flinch.  Other young guys step up.  

As good of an organization as there is in professional sports.  

They actually are playing better without Herro. Role players understand it’s on them to step up and perform…not defer. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe Horford will coach them…sounds like he has been last few quarters already. Celtics are too good to waste this talent on a bad coach. Not sure they can wait to let him learn on the fly. You only get so many opportunities with a championship caliber roster like this.

Agree. Windows are short in the NBA, don't have time to wait with Mazzulla. This clearly hasn't worked. The defense has taken a massive dip. 

• Like 1

Man I’d put all my starters out there but Tatum and make them keep working until they find some sense of pride or confidence or touch or something. Brown looks broken and defeated…all of them really White etc. Even if it doesn’t matter this game they need to find something…a rhythm something they can carry over. They win game 4 they go home and take care of business then pressure is back on Miami to hold court game 6. No time to feel sorry for themselves.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Man I’d put all my starters out there but Tatum and make them keep working until they find some sense of pride or confidence or touch or something. Brown looks broken and defeated…all of them really White etc. Even if it doesn’t matter this game they need to find something…a rhythm something they can carry over. They win game 4 they go home and take care of business then pressure is back on Miami to hold court game 6. No time to feel sorry for themselves.

Agree, but I think this team is ready for Cancun. 

• Like 1

Won't pretend to know the NBA game but when I see a game or series like this? One team and organization is getting embarrassed and the other is just doing their thing. It's either coaching/players/approach.....no in between to get raced out of the gym like this at your own place and on the road.

Pretty happy for Jimmy Butler though. Years ago he was the only guy I liked on Bulls.....just needed a new plan and team. Maybe some maturity for him too.

Denver vs Miami...actually not a bad series.

• Like 1