NBA Thread

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Lakers will get home cooking to get back in the series. Continue to put Murray and Jokic in pick n roll on defense against Lebron and AD and company. They really found something in Hachimura. Finally looks like the prospect he was suppose to be coming into the league.

Too bad.  Lakers slower than Denv.  Reaves and Davis are solid.  Joker can make James or Davis look outplayed some times.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Lakers will get home cooking to get back in the series. Continue to put Murray and Jokic in pick n roll on defense against Lebron and AD and company. They really found something in Hachimura. Finally looks like the prospect he was suppose to be coming into the league.

Nope

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John S said:

Agree with you. Butler/Heat are on a mission. IMO, not even Tatum can match Butler’s determination/skill now  

Agree, Butler really seems to be on a mission. We'll see how he holds up playing so many minutes. 

For the Celtics, it's really not about Tatum so far, it's about Jaylen Brown who has been awful and the rest of the guys and Joe Mazzulla. 

Tatum has been pretty great. 

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Is that you Jeane Dixon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Is that you Jeane Dixon?

I didn’t think the NBA would allow the Lakers to lose. Started out seemingly with Joker in foul trouble but both of these series have been won by the secondary players out playing their opponent. KCP, Brown, Green, Porter dominated Lakers supporting cast. Same in the Boston series with Martin, Streus, Robinson, Vincent and co.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree, Butler really seems to be on a mission. We'll see how he holds up playing so many minutes. 

For the Celtics, it's really not about Tatum so far, it's about Jaylen Brown who has been awful and the rest of the guys and Joe Mazzulla. 

Tatum has been pretty great. 

What’s the 4th quarter stats look like? Winning time? Just wondering because that is why people are saying that….not that I agree but the narrative comes from that.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

What’s the 4th quarter stats look like? Winning time? Just wondering because that is why people are saying that….not that I agree but the narrative comes from that.

Yeah, that is the narrative and it's a pretty lazy one to be honest. That take is also why I specifically mentioned Jaylen Brown and Joe Mazzulla. 

The Heat are literally triple teaming Tatum in the 4th quarters up top with their zone, while Boston is letting Jimmy play the entire 4th going one on one. 

If Miami is going the triple Tatum, then you'd expect Jaylen Brown to be able to feast and he's just been bad. 

You'd also expect Mazzulla to do something, anything, to get the ball out of Jimmy's hands down the stretch, and also play Williams and White in crunch time who have been way more effective than Horford and Brogdon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, that is the narrative and it's a pretty lazy one to be honest. That take is also why I specifically mentioned Jaylen Brown and Joe Mazzulla. 

The Heat are literally triple teaming Tatum in the 4th quarters up top with their zone, while Boston is letting Jimmy play the entire 4th going one on one. 

If Miami is going the triple Tatum, then you'd expect Jaylen Brown to be able to feast and he's just been bad. 

You'd also expect Mazzulla to do something, anything, to get the ball out of Jimmy's hands down the stretch, and also play Williams and White I'm crunch time who have been way more effective than Horford and Brogdon. 

Yeah I wasn’t agreeing with the narrative…just saying that is where it was coming from. They are watching Butler close out games. Some very very poor coaching. There are tons of other options you can use with Tatum when Miami goes to that zone. A big problem is all the Celtics standing around watching….including Brown. Bostons talented depth should be utilized much better. It’s not awful to take the ball out of Tatums hands and let him play off the ball at times and trust guys like Smart and Brown to break down the defense and get them moving out of position and then work it around to Tatum or simply isolate him on one side of the floor and let him get to a spot and shoot over guys like Martin etc.

The thing about Miami is they are really good defensively and also can switch basically 1-5 with how good Bam is and will likely make the pick n roll difficult.  The one thing I hate about the isolation basketball is that it if the other 4 guys are standing around and not moving is it gets very difficult for those guys to stay involved and sharp. 

No excuse on defense…not forcing the ball out of Butlers hands late in games doesn’t make a lot of sense. You also can’t afford to have poor defenders on the floor to get switched on him late in games like Brogdon. I know Miami shoots the 3 very well so a zone isn’t ideal but trapping Butler and getting it out of his hands has to be a priority….at least try to get it late in the clock before he gets it back because Butler is very methodical in getting to his spots on the floor…he isn’t exactly dynamic with his moves and speeding him up or making him take his shot a few more feet out and not letting him pound it to his spots on the floor is important…or at least running another defender as he is trying to get to those spots has to be a better alternative then giving him those high percentage looks.

• Like 1

Officiating on the road is always going to swing to the home team given the crowd and momentum. It isn’t as bad as college basketball and certainly no where near HS basketball where the officials are hand picked by the schools but it’s just a thing you have to execute through. I think the Celtics have been playing with fire not taking care of business at home…seems they’ve dialed their concentration in on the road but facing a team as tough as nails and unwavering like the Heat…might be biting off more than they can chew.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Officiating on the road is always going to swing to the home team given the crowd and momentum. It isn’t as bad as college basketball and certainly no where near HS basketball where the officials are hand picked by the schools but it’s just a thing you have to execute through. I think the Celtics have been playing with fire not taking care of business at home…seems they’ve dialed their concentration in on the road but facing a team as tough as nails and unwavering like the Heat…might be biting off more than they can chew.

Except that the Heat had big foul advantages in the first quarters in Boston too. 

Just embarrassing that all series long Gabe Vincent, Caleb Martin and Duncan Robinson have thoroughly outplayed the collective of Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Malcolm Brogdon and Derrick White. 

It's not even close, that group of undrafted guys is absolutely kicking the crap out of everyone on Celtics but Tatum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Except that the Heat had big foul advantages in the first quarters in Boston too. 

So Boston got screwed at home? In the garden? Ehh. I’m not saying Boston didn’t have some calls missed but it’s been clear which team has come out the most aggressive all 3 games. Miami has really attacked Boston and taken into at them pretty hard. Tatum and Brown are at their best attacking the paint…also dropping off to Williams…they haven’t done that enough. When you fall in love with your dribble step back game it’s hard to put pressure on officials…also it doesn’t pull defenders and open up offensive rebounding opportunities. 

I think Boston has too much talent. They will close this gap and get it close.

Just now, dgambill said:

So Boston got screwed at home? In the garden? Ehh. I’m not saying Boston didn’t have some calls missed but it’s been clear which team has come out the most aggressive all 3 games. Miami has really attacked Boston and taken into at them pretty hard. Tatum and Brown are at their best attacking the paint…also dropping off to Williams…they haven’t done that enough. When you fall in love with your dribble step back game it’s hard to put pressure on officials…also it doesn’t pull defenders and open up offensive rebounding opportunities. 

I think Boston has too much talent. They will close this gap and get it close.

To be 100% crystal clear so that it can't be twisted, I absolutely am not saying the Celtics are down in the series because of the refs. 

That is not what I've said. Just want to make sure that's really clear. 

But yes, in all three games the Heat have had a big foul discrepancy in the first quarter. You can say that the Heat are more aggressive, but I can point to specific plays where Brown and Tatum have been just as aggressive as Jimmy and Bam but they aren't getting the same calls early. 

Brown should have taken 4 free throws in the first quarter tonight and Tatum 2. They took none.