NBA Thread

Well, Game 7 will be interesting. Who knows? Anything can happen. 

If you're Miami you're feeling like you just miraculously lost a game in which your best two players played terrible. Get them right and you win. 

If you're Boston you're glad it's at home and you're thinking no way we shoot 7-for-35 from 3 again. Just shoot even normal bad and not disastrously bad and we would have won that game easy. 

Most likely it will come down to making open 3's. 

18 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

It feels impossible to see Miami winning Game 7 after that crushing loss. 

I'm biased, but I almost feel the opposite. I think if you're Miami it's really easy to flip the focus to Game 7. If you're Boston there's almost a sense of you already accomplished something and you're riding high, when the job isn't done yet. 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm biased, but I almost feel the opposite. I think if you're Miami it's really easy to flip the focus to Game 7. If you're Boston there's almost a sense of you already accomplished something and you're riding high, when the job isn't done yet. 

Yeah I tend to agree. Miami can easily say “we played about as bad as possible and lost on a tip in at the buzzer” and go get focused.

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Well, Game 7 will be interesting. Who knows? Anything can happen. 

If you're Miami you're feeling like you just miraculously lost a game in which your best two players played terrible. Get them right and you win. 

If you're Boston you're glad it's at home and you're thinking no way we shoot 7-for-35 from 3 again. Just shoot even normal bad and not disastrously bad and we would have won that game easy. 

Most likely it will come down to making open 3's. 

I think both teams will shoot relatively well from 3. Imo free throws and turnovers will decide it. Boston has enjoyed a pretty healthy advantage from the free throw line and if they can limit their turnovers or even have less I can’t see where Miami would be able to make it up. I feel like Miami had their shot with the poor Boston finish…going to wish they didn’t get caught ball watching and finish the last play.

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I tend to agree. Miami can easily say “we played about as bad as possible and lost on a tip in at the buzzer” and go get focused.

True, but the flip side of that is that the Celtics played pretty bad too. Last night was their lowest 3's made of the season. They're not shooting 7-for-35 again. 

I think outside of White and Smart, Boston made just 1 three all game. 

But yeah, I just see Miami as being super locked in and focused right now, where I see the Celtics doing what they do and coming in like this is already over. 

The narrative since Game 3 has been, "If it gets to Game 7 then it's over!" I think that narrative actually helps Miami, not Boston. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think both teams will shoot relatively well from 3. Imo free throws and turnovers will decide it. Boston has enjoyed a pretty healthy advantage from the free throw line and if they can limit their turnovers or even have less I can’t see where Miami would be able to make it up. I feel like Miami had their shot with the poor Boston finish…going to wish they didn’t get caught ball watching and finish the last play.

That's why the 3pt line is so important though. If the Celtics shoot even relatively well, they win.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

No worries.  The Celts will get it done.  

We'll see. It's a game 7 and anything can happen. I'm encouraged coming out of Game 6. While the Celtics collapsing again wasn't encouraging, it is encouraging that Miami won basically every statistically category last night and it took a last 4 minutes collapse by the Celtics for Miami to be in the game down the stretch. 

The Celtics have pulled no-show's before, but I just can't see them going 7-for-35 from 3 again, meanwhile Miami shot 47% from 3 last night. If the Celtics just shot normal bad (say 10-for-35) from 3 instead of worst of the season bad, then last night wouldn't have even been close. 

But again, it's a Game 7. Any random player (ie. Grant Williams against Milwaukee last season) have the game of their life and tip the scales. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

We'll see. It's a game 7 and anything can happen. I'm encouraged coming out of Game 6. While the Celtics collapsing again wasn't encouraging, it is encouraging that Miami won basically every statistically category last night and it took a last 4 minutes collapse by the Celtics for Miami to be in the game down the stretch. 

The Celtics have pulled no-show's before, but I just can't see them going 7-for-35 from 3 again, meanwhile Miami shot 47% from 3 last night. If the Celtics just shot normal bad (say 10-for-35) from 3 instead of worst of the season bad, then last night wouldn't have even been close. 

But again, it's a Game 7. Any random player (ie. Grant Williams against Milwaukee last season) have the game of their life and tip the scales. 

Did the heat win every category? Outside of 3pt shooting it’s hard to imagine they did. They were awful giving up second chance pts…culminating in that final tip in. They were awful scoring at the rim…I think missed 17 of 20 I saw last night….so imagine pts in the paint were advantage Boston too. Boston outscored them from the line…and while Boston had more turnovers the Heat didn’t manufacture much (I think it was like 10-11 pts) unlike what Boston was able to generate off the Heat’s. In the end it’s funny the Heats technical foul for losing their cool (something Boston did early on in the series) so their poise under pressure was a difference in the game as that free throw decided the game from the 4 pt play by Brown. Yes 3pt shooting almost downed the Celtics but with their length and advantage with athleticism and playing at home where they’ve seen big free throw advantages they should be attacking the rim and not relying on the 3. Boston is unstoppable when the 3 is falling but they have many ways to win the game. The Heat….well it’s clear they have to hit 3s, limit turnovers, and hope Butler can carry them late. Like Spolstra said…they have to win the hard way. They have to really manufacture a win. Boston just has to not give it away honestly…they are that much more talented. I think they have been much more focused since they went down 3 games and play best locked in. As long as they don’t fall in love with the 3 they should be fine imo.

Edited by dgambill

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Google Scottie Pippen

Got it…I don’t follow Twitter so I figured it had to hace some context. Horrible player is unequivocally false obviously. Horrible teammate is likely also false but could be argued from a team maté perspective. What isn’t an arguement is the two together were almost unstoppable and complemented each other immensely. Michael had zero playoff series victories without Scottie…and we all know Scottie without Michael didn’t win any championships. It’s sad to see what’s happened between the two. I’m not going to pick sides though. Jordan could have been a more gracious teammate over the years and you wouldn’t likely be seeing all this stuff. It just makes everyone look petty involved…sad. That said guys at the top clearly have huge egos. See Shaq and Kobe etc etc. Most have a hard time coexisting. One thing I give Lebron credit for is he seems to be a great teammate from that perspective. Guys love playing for him and he makes others around him better and he brings out the best in his teammates typically. Well the old Lebron did at least. So funny the difference in generations…the old ones were so competitive it caused ripples even among teammates while the new AAU generation opponents want to team up.

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Did the heat win every category? Outside of 3pt shooting it’s hard to imagine they did. They were awful giving up second chance pts…culminating in that final tip in. They were awful scoring at the rim…I think missed 17 of 20 I saw last night….so imagine pts in the paint were advantage Boston too. Boston outscored them from the line…and while Boston had more turnovers the Heat didn’t manufacture much (I think it was like 10-11 pts) unlike what Boston was able to generate off the Heat’s. In the end it’s funny the Heats technical foul for losing their cool (something Boston did early on in the series) so their poise under pressure was a difference in the game as that free throw decided the game from the 4 pt play by Brown. Yes 3pt shooting almost downed the Celtics but with their length and advantage with athleticism and playing at home where they’ve seen big free throw advantages they should be attacking the rim and not relying on the 3. Boston is unstoppable when the 3 is falling but they have many ways to win the game. The Heat….well it’s clear they have to hit 3s, limit turnovers, and hope Butler can carry them late. Like Spolstra said…they have to win the hard way. They have to really manufacture a win. Boston just has to not give it away honestly…they are that much more talented. I think they have been much more focused since they went down 3 games and play best locked in. As long as they don’t fall in love with the 3 they should be fine imo.

Not 100% sure it was every statistical category, obviously I know the Heat were terrible in the paint, but they won the 3pt shooting, offensive rebound and turnover categories. According to the tweet below teams that win those categories win the game 85% of the time. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not 100% sure it was every statistical category, obviously I know the Heat were terrible in the paint, but they won the 3pt shooting, offensive rebound and turnover categories. According to the tweet below teams that win those categories win the game 85% of the time. 

Yep but the Celtics won second chance points and I believe they won pts off turnovers (or evened it out at least) so it’s what you do with those opportunities but yes…Miami squandered their opportunities. You can see Bostons length gave them fits. I’m not minimizing 3pt shooting but I think if Boston doesn’t shoot themselves in their foot with a bunch of careless turnovers and attacks the basket even if Miami out shoots them from 3 they should still win. If Boston is disciplined (big if) they are the best team in the NBA.