NBA Thread

On 5/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, IU Scott said:

To me Boston will win fairly easily in game 7. I think it will be very hard for Miami to overcome losing the way they lost game 6.  When you thought you had the series won but you lose on a play like that I don't see over coming that.

This is why I don't bet on sports because I have no clue what I am talking about 

• Like 2

Ok, when you lose like that it's clearly not the refs fault. The Celtics were horrendous. 

But in my frustration please allow me this. 

When the game was within reach in the 3rd quarter there were two horrendous travel calls on the Celtics and they both took points off the board and one should have been an And 1 instead of a travel.  

Then there were two clear travel/double dribbles during that stretch on Miami that weren't called that resulted in baskets. Then also Jimmy stepped out of bounds on a pass that resulted in a 3. 

That was 5 points taken from us and 7 given to them on bad travel/double dribble calls and an out of bounds. 

Essentially a 12 point swing and these were all in the critical moments when it was between 7-12 points. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Ok, when you lose like that it's clearly not the refs fault. The Celtics were horrendous. 

But in my frustration please allow me this. 

When the game was within reach in the 3rd quarter there were two horrendous travel calls on the Celtics and they both took points off the board and one should have been an And 1 instead of a travel.  

Then there were two clear travel/double dribbles during that stretch on Miami that weren't called that resulted in baskets. Then also Jimmy stepped out of bounds on a pass that resulted in a 3. 

That was 5 points taken from us and 7 given to them on bad travel/double dribble calls and an out of bounds. 

Essentially a 12 point swing and these were all in the critical moments when it was between 7-12 points. 

I felt like the refs were a factor tonight in the same way that they were in Game 6 right after the Heat took the lead 🤷‍♂️

Like it's always hard to go back at certain points to say the impact, but you can feel it there as you watch it.

Obviously the difference maker in this game was the shooting, and really Jaylen Brown as you mentioned just completely melted down. He seems as ready to carry a team in big games as Paul George. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is why I don't bet on sports because I have no clue what I am talking about 

I think pro athletes are more resilient and have shorter memories than people give them credit for. I recall the Pacers losing two playoff games on Lebron buzzer beaters but bouncing back to win the next game, one of which was in Miami. 

• Like 1

I don’t want to be too hard on the Celtics because the game plan had to probably go out the window when Tatum tweeked his ankle. Killed me to watch them settle for 3s. I still think their coach was the one who sank them. Did not make any adjustments, did not put his guys in position to be successful. Even if Tatum was hurt he didn’t even use him as a decoy. White and Williams at the rim and in the paint had the right idea…just not enough of it. Not saying the coach can’t get better and learn but man can you wait on him to learn and miss the window that this team has.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

We will take him. Give you Turner, Heild, plus your pick back.

Haha, yeah that's not happening. Not suggesting either team would do it, but any Jaylen Brown trade with the Pacers would start with Tyrese Haliburton. 

If Boston moves Brown, it's for another star player. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Haha, yeah that's not happening. Not suggesting either team would do it, bit and Jaylen Brown trade with the Pacers would start with Tyrese Haliburton. 

Did I mention that I have been rooting for the Heat since they came into the league in 1968?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Haha, yeah that's not happening. Not suggesting either team would do it, bit and Jaylen Brown trade with the Pacers would start with Tyrese Haliburton. 

Oh yeah I know….it was a little tongue in cheek. No way you are giving up a stud like Brown for peanuts. I was just playing on the raw emotions of a fan after a tough loss. There will be tons of over-reactions today. Brown isn’t a number 1….but he is a damn good number 2 and his length and athleticism is rare…sure he needs to be working all offseason to tighten his handles but there aren’t many comps for a player like him. He is exactly what all 30 teams are looking to find.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Lotta history there!

I'm all in on Denver! I don't do the "I hope the team we lost to wins" crap. Screw the Heat. Go Nuggets!!

Who do you hate more? Philly or Miami? There is a whole lot of history with both those teams but man Miami has to be up there the past 20 years.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh yeah I know….it was a little tongue in cheek. No way you are giving up a stud like Brown for peanuts. I was just playing on the raw emotions of a fan after a tough loss. There will be tons of over-reactions today. Brown isn’t a number 1….but he is a damn good number 2 and his length and athleticism is rare…sure he needs to be working all offseason to tighten his handles but there aren’t many comps for a player like him. He is exactly what all 30 teams are looking to find.

Yeah, I know you didn't really mean that trade package. 

On Brown, I've always been a fan and he is really good. But man, the handles issue and the turnover issue has been there for years and hasn't gotten any better. He was really, really bad this entire postseason. You can't have that from your #2 guy in the playoffs. 

You can have it for a game here and there, but then he needs to step up and respond and he didn't do it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Who do you hate more? Philly or Miami? There is a whole lot of history with both those teams but man Miami has to be up there the past 20 years.

Oh, I hate Miami way more. I never really hate the Sixers because I'm not even worried about them. 

I hate Miami. The whole LeBron super teak thing. Pat Riley. And now Kyle Lowry. Eben though Lowry is a shadow of his former self, I just have no respect for him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Lotta history there!

I'm all in on Denver! I don't do the "I hope the team we lost to wins" crap. Screw the Heat. Go Nuggets!!

Totally irrelevant but I used to play for the Nuggets.  The year was 1970 something and I was in the 5th grade.  I actually led the team in scoring but the truth of the matter is we sucked.  Back then the local Little League Basketball league only had 8 teams.  The Black Cats, the Blue Blazers, the Red Devils, the Purple Eagles, the White Knights, the Green Giants, the Orange Tigers, and the Gold Nuggets.  I led the Nuggets to a 2-12 regular season record and a first game exit in the season ending tournament.

I am amazed at how far the organization has came from those days.  NBA finals baby!

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Haha, yeah that's not happening. Not suggesting either team would do it, but any Jaylen Brown trade with the Pacers would start with Tyrese Haliburton. 

What else would you guys give up for Hali? He’s a better asset at this point than Brown.

And to be clear, not saying he is a better player just yet but age and cost are on his side in a huge way and the talent gap isn’t that big, and Hali is still years away from his prime. 

Edited by KoB2011

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

You just absolutely can't pay Jaylen Brown after this mess. He's a 2nd Team All NBA guy and has just been a train wreck for 7 games, and he wasn't that good in the Sixers series. 

He's due a $300M+ extension. You just can't. 

I can't remember who it was but I thought someone had a proposed trade with Warriors and Celtics involving Brown. Honestly though why would any team who is wanting to get over the hump or in Warriors case back to the Finals pay $300M for Brown after what they just witnessed?

I can see the Celtics moving on but finding a dance partner with that contract is going to be tough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't remember who it was but I thought someone had a proposed trade with Warriors and Celtics involving Brown. Honestly though why would any team who is wanting to get over the hump or in Warriors case back to the Finals pay $300M for Brown after what they just witnessed?

I can see the Celtics moving on but finding a dance partner with that contract is going to be tough.

I'm down from the emotion of last night. The Celtics will and should pay Brown. He has his flaws, as we all saw, but it's hard to get a talent like that in the building. 

You have to offer him the super max. It doesn't really become a problem for another two years when you then have to give Tatum the supe max as well. 

So you have 2 years to keep making runs and tinker with things around them. 

The only other move would be a sign and trade where you're targeting Dame or someone like Bradley Beal. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What else would you guys give up for Hali? He’s a better asset at this point than Brown.

And to be clear, not saying he is a better player just yet but age and cost are on his side in a huge way and the talent gap isn’t that big, and Hali is still years away from his prime. 

Oh, agree. Haliburton would be on a much better deal which is the big difference. 

I don't think there would be any deal between Boston and Indy for a deal there. There's just no match. Celtics are win now, and Indiana is in ascension mode so not looking to sell. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm down from the emotion of last night. The Celtics will and should pay Brown. He has his flaws, as we all saw, but it's hard to get a talent like that in the building. 

You have to offer him the super max. It doesn't really become a problem for another two years when you then have to give Tatum the supe max as well. 

So you have 2 years to keep making runs and tinker with things around them. 

The only other move would be a sign and trade where you're targeting Dame or someone like Bradley Beal. 

download.jpeg.ff09f3fb5fe5877def9255879742d6c6.jpeg

• Haha 1