NBA Thread

30 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes...BUT...now we have the declining TV viewership issue.  At some point, viewership dropping while costs go up has to create a problem where economic equilibrium has no choice but to adjust.  Something has to give here.  ESPN won't pay triple just because the NBA asks for it.  It either has to make economic sense, or they don't do it, or they do it and go bankrupt.

I don’t disagree that it may not be as big as the NBA wants, either the upcoming contract or the one after, but even if viewership remains flat or slightly declined it’s still going to increase YoY in terms of contract value.

I am not saying that’s a good thing for the NBA if that happens, but I believe the original point of the contract talk was around Super Max’s, and my only point was those are going up in value to match the salary cap going up in value. That’s going to continue to happen. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Total dud of a first half.  They won’t keep an audience at this rate.  Jokic is brilliant but he’s like eating your vegetables.  

Legitimately asking, not sure what you meant by the "eating vegetables" and Jokic? I love watching him play. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Legitimately asking, not sure what you meant by the "eating vegetables" and Jokic? I love watching him play. 

I was being facetious but he’s more fundamental than being electric like a Giannis.  Basketball purists appreciate him but Joey Video Game might move on.  

• Like 1

Preface: I dont follow the NBA much cuz it's 💩.

But what is this Lonzo Ball stuff i have been seeing? Possible career ending injury? Maybe caused by BBB shoes?

If any of this is true, its not funny, but kinda. That whole thing with pops a few years ago... Does son sue dad and BBB for the $1 its worth?

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Preface: I dont follow the NBA much cuz it's 💩.

But what is this Lonzo Ball stuff i have been seeing? Possible career ending injury? Maybe caused by BBB shoes?

If any of this is true, its not funny, but kinda. That whole thing with pops a few years ago... Does son sue dad and BBB for the $1 its worth?

Blew out his knee and fixing it hasn’t gone well. Don’t know about the shoe thing.

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know you don’t want to hear it but I was hoping for a 76ers vs Denver finals….would have loved an old school big vs big and settle the who is the real mvp once and for all.

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know you don’t want to hear it but I was hoping for a 76ers vs Denver finals….would have loved an old school big vs big and settle the who is the real mvp once and for all.

Not at all, of course I wanted the Celtics to not only get to the Finals but also win it, but an Embiid vs Jokic Finals would have been super compelling. 

• Like 1

I'm sure it's circling around somewhere but that Morgan, Anunoby, and now Bryant class will have all played in the NBA Finals. Add Zeller this year...and even though Vic is injured he's considered on the team. Minus Thomas I don't recall a stretch where we've had more IU blood in NBA finals.

• Like 1

I really like Butler, the Heat coach and their current players.  How could anyone hate the Heat.   

I'm a Mavs fan.  Hating the Heat franchise is part of the Mavs culture. The only other one that might pass them would be the Rox.  

One of the best NBA picture is one of Dirk celebrating over Wade laying on the floor after he missed shot at end in a Mavs big comeback in Game 2 in the 2011 Finals.  Dirk wasn't really standing over him but walking by when the photo was snapped. 

The Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki celebrates as the Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade lays on the floor after missing shot as time ran out in Game 2 of the 2011 NBA Finals at the AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami, Florida, Thursday, June 2, 2011. The Mavericks defeated the Heat, 95-93. (Photo by Al Diaz/Miami Herald/MCT/Sipa USA Stock Photo - Alamy

Then there was this in Game 5 of the same finals:

Dirk Nowitzki talks 'disrespectful' LeBron, Dwyane Wade gesture (nypost.com)

Add in 2006 finals when Wade after 2 Games and 3 quarters of Mavs dominance was sent to the line over and over and over and over during the series.  Even T_Mac from that other hated team the Rockets made comments about those fake fouls.   We all know Stern and Gestapo Ref Rush hated Cuban. There is your conspiracy theory. True or not who knows who cares.   Mavs still would of won series in 06 but Josh howard missed some game winning FT's that cost them big time in Game 5.  So Mavs still had big chances to get it done. Still get to hate the Heat franchise. 

Disgraced Former Ref Tim Donaghy Says Mavericks Were 'Screwed' out of 2006 Title | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Glad that Dirk and Wade have moved past all that and seem friends now. 

To bad the Spurs let the Heat off the hook in Game 6 of 2013 or LeBum and Heat would only have won 1 title during that 4 year period.  

28 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I really like Butler, the Heat coach and their current players.  How could anyone hate the Heat.   

I'm a Mavs fan.  Hating the Heat franchise is part of the Mavs culture. The only other one that might pass them would be the Rox.  

One of the best NBA picture is one of Dirk celebrating over Wade laying on the floor after he missed shot at end in a Mavs big comeback in Game 2 in the 2011 Finals.  Dirk wasn't really standing over him but walking by when the photo was snapped. 

The Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki celebrates as the Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade lays on the floor after missing shot as time ran out in Game 2 of the 2011 NBA Finals at the AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami, Florida, Thursday, June 2, 2011. The Mavericks defeated the Heat, 95-93. (Photo by Al Diaz/Miami Herald/MCT/Sipa USA Stock Photo - Alamy

Then there was this in Game 5 of the same finals:

Dirk Nowitzki talks 'disrespectful' LeBron, Dwyane Wade gesture (nypost.com)

Add in 2006 finals when Wade after 2 Games and 3 quarters of Mavs dominance was sent to the line over and over and over and over during the series.  Even T_Mac from that other hated team the Rockets made comments about those fake fouls.   We all know Stern and Gestapo Ref Rush hated Cuban. There is your conspiracy theory. True or not who knows who cares.   Mavs still would of won series in 06 but Josh howard missed some game winning FT's that cost them big time in Game 5.  So Mavs still had big chances to get it done. Still get to hate the Heat franchise. 

Disgraced Former Ref Tim Donaghy Says Mavericks Were 'Screwed' out of 2006 Title | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Glad that Dirk and Wade have moved past all that and seem friends now. 

To bad the Spurs let the Heat off the hook in Game 6 of 2013 or LeBum and Heat would only have won 1 title during that 4 year period.  

Hard to say if the Spurs would have come back so motivated the next year after 2013. Saw it this year with the Heat and Celtics…teams that are so close to winning one year come back focused and determined the next. Butler talked last year after game 7 with the Celtics about they had enough and they would be back and win it. I think the Spurs felt that way after that Heat series. 

As far as coach and the players go with the Heat they are very likable….but so are the Nuggets. Guys like Murray and Jokic have been doubted and they are showing you don’t have to be the elite athlete/prospect….just like Curry and Thompson in years past these guys aren’t the biggest, fastest, jump the highest, but through skill and hard work they’ve made it to the top of the league. 

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like the Suns  will be hiring Frank Vogel 

I thought if the Celtics were to make a move it should be him. That said they stuck with Joe and maybe after a full offseason and building a better staff maybe they get over the hump. It’s just difficult when you have a team honestly in their prime and just can’t get them over the hump…it’s got to make you wonder. Boston isn’t just a championship caliber team…they have the makings of a dynasty but they still haven’t learned the most important things about winning…winning is in the details…doing the small things right over and over.