NBA Thread

I'm curious what the Celtics do from here. I think they're clearly not done yet. 

Getting Porzingas and a 1st plus a swap is a haul for Smart. No doubt. 

The great year Derrick White had made moving Smart possible and viable. With that said, you're not winning a title with a guard rotation of White, Brogdon and Pritchard. 

While the Celtics definitely improved their big situation and added a dynamic player in Porzingas, they still need to add a guard and some wing depth. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm curious what the Celtics do from here. I think they're clearly not done yet. 

Getting Porzingas and a 1st plus a swap is a haul for Smart. No doubt. 

The great year Derrick White had made moving Smart possible and viable. With that said, you're not winning a title with a guard rotation of White, Brogdon and Pritchard. 

While the Celtics definitely improved their big situation and added a dynamic player in Porzingas, they still need to add a guard and some wing depth. 

Indeed. Definitely will need to make a move for a point guard/combo. I don’t know what they can sign in free agency but expect they have mid-level exception…bring back Shroader…P Beverly, G Vincent?? Don’t think Chris Paul if he gets cut would stay out East. Otherwise another trade is likely inbound.

Edited by dgambill

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't understand the NBA.   Why do teams agree to bad trades with Boston and LA?  I don't get the trove of 1st round  picks added.  Golden state's 24 is intriguing.   They are getting old on top of nearly constant injuries.  Danny's gone and the good ild fashioned Boston fleecing continues. 

Boston….deal falls through because the guy they try to trade has injury issues….make new trade and it’s even better for them….geez

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas  would Dillon Brooks be an option? You guys lost your best defender and he could be a similar replacement that Smart gave you. Perhaps his horrible postseason he does a 1 yr to rehabilitate his image? 

Yeah, could be an option, though I don't really know what the list of available wings looks like. I'd assume Brooks might be looking for more than the mid-level, despite his poor playoff performance. 

Smart wasn't really our best defender anymore. He didn't have a great defensive year last season. One of the reasons I like this trade is that while it's sad to see a guy like Smart go, he's going to fall off a cliff fast. We definitely sold high on him. 

But, White was a better defender last season, and Porzingas is a + defender. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, could be an option, though I don't really know what the list of available wings looks like. I'd assume Brooks might be looking for more than the mid-level, despite his poor playoff performance. 

Smart wasn't really our best defender anymore. He didn't have a great defensive year last season. One of the reasons I like this trade is that while it's sad to see a guy like Smart go, he's going to fall off a cliff fast. We definitely sold high on him. 

But, White was a better defender last season, and Porzingas is a + defender. 

Maybe part of a Grant Williams sign and trade perhaps…not sure like you said you could get it done otherwise. Just thought he might fit. You guys were out-toughed by Miami….you are losing both “tough” guys it seems so would think you would want to address that physicality someway.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For those that know....where are the 2-3 likely spots JHS goes? Either position of need or whatever. Just curious.

Seems like he is getting mocked the most to the Raptors (#13) and Hawks (#15). I have actually seen a couple where he's going 8th to the Wizards. Mid to late lottery is the likely range.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Pacers continue to trade draft picks….this time for money. These are so “Pacer” moves. I hope we nail number 7. This is suppose to be a good, deep draft and we’ve done nothing but give up picks and move back with little to show for it.

In a prior life I was a season ticket holder with another couple. Turned them in 15 years ago and only go to a few games each year. When they show me their actually serious about winning again I'll support....otherwise they better nail number 7 like you said. 

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe part of a Grant Williams sign and trade perhaps…not sure like you said you could get it done otherwise. Just thought he might fit. You guys were out-toughed by Miami….you are losing both “tough” guys it seems so would think you would want to address that physicality someway.

Yeah, definitely need to bring in a couple scrappy/tough role player types to replace that. Guys like Brooks, PatBev, etc. 

But I also like a point that Jay Williams made on ESPN. While its great that Smart was the heart and soul, and along with Horford, the leader. But to win titles in the NBA at some point your stars have to be the leaders. 

While Celtics fans loved Smart, now is the time to rip off the bandaid and sink or swim with Tatum and Brown from a leadership perspective. Gone is that Smart crutch and I think in the long run it's actually good for Tatum and Brown. 

They have to take ownership now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Man....I guess I'd want him to be in Atlanta out of those 3.

Really? I think Atlanta is the worst possible fit for JHS. I can't think of a much worse fit, unless Atlanta ends up moving Murray or Young. 

I wouldn't want to be a guard drafted to a lottery team that already has two extremely high usage all-star caliber guards ahead of me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really? I think Atlanta is the worst possible fit for JHS. I can't think of a much worse fit, unless Atlanta ends up moving Murray or Young. 

I wouldn't want to be a guard drafted to a lottery team that already has two extremely high usage all-star caliber guards ahead of me. 

Purely for quality of life. Toronto has been tanking and DC is a no win situation. At least Atlanta was a playoff team last year....but I'm not the guy to ask. Just hoping some other team grabs besides Toronto or Washington.

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, definitely need to bring in a couple scrappy/tough role player types to replace that. Guys like Brooks, PatBev, etc. 

But I also like a point that Jay Williams made on ESPN. While its great that Smart was the heart and soul, and along with Horford, the leader. But to win titles in the NBA at some point your stars have to be the leaders. 

While Celtics fans loved Smart, now is the time to rip off the bandaid and sink or swim with Tatum and Brown from a leadership perspective. Gone is that Smart crutch and I think in the long run it's actually good for Tatum and Brown. 

They have to take ownership now. 

Very good point. Tatum and Brown truly have to step up now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Purely for quality of life. Toronto has been tanking and DC is a no win situation. At least Atlanta was a playoff team last year....but I'm not the guy to ask. Just hoping some other team grabs besides Toronto or Washington.

Agree on Washington as it's too much of a mess, but Atlanta would he a terrible situation. He'd barely get any opportunity, again unless Atlanta moves Murray and/or Young. 

As a rookie, I'd rather be in a situation where I'm going to get opportunity. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agreed. Both high usage and ball dominant. Not a good fit. I thought Pelicans would be a good fit. Orlando as well if they move a couple of their guards (I’m not high on Suggs/Fultz/Anthony), maybe Utah.

There are other fits..but not lottery. GS I think would be great fit at 19.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I expect the Wiz are committed to Ty Jones starting at PG for now.  

I suspect they aren’t committed to anyone…if the right deal came along for Jones. I do think he is the right pg (unless you draft one) for a rebuild. Takes care of the ball…makes smart play…veteran to lead on the court with all the young guys I’m sure they will bring in. That said if he nets them a pick I’m sure they will move on.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Pacers continue to trade draft picks….this time for money. These are so “Pacer” moves. I hope we nail number 7. This is suppose to be a good, deep draft and we’ve done nothing but give up picks and move back with little to show for it.

So you are upset we traded the 40th pick for 47 and money. More than likely the player picked there wouldn't make the team. The GM Buchanan and Pritchard said after the season that they don't have room for 5 rookies. They can't have half of their roster made up second year guys or rookies.

They are so cheap that they put in a max offer last year for Ayton which showed they were willing to spend the money.