NBA Thread

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you are upset we traded the 40th pick for 47 and money. More than likely the player picked there wouldn't make the team. The GM Buchanan and Pritchard said after the season that they don't have room for 5 rookies. They can't have half of their roster made up second year guys or rookies.

They are so cheap that they put in a max offer last year for Ayton which showed they were willing to spend the money.

Scott….we just disagree. Yes you can have your whole roster made up like that if you want. You can send guys to this thing called the g league too. But you are correct. If you want to be a play in tournament team you don’t want a roster full of 23 and under guys….but don’t worry…if there is a 26 year old in the draft with no upside I’m sure we will take them like we did Duarte…nothing wrong with this roster here…see OKC. Also if you want to combine picks to move up that fine…but if you want to give them away for cash…I’m sorry if I’m not thrilled you want to refill your jet.

IMG_2016.png

Just now, DC2345 said:

The Pacers made the trade to acquire 4.3 million dollars. They acquired some cash in another deal last year as well. They can only use that money in trades so this could be a precursor to another move involving a veteran. 

If that is the case and they use it…I’ll be happy…if it just expires then it will be no surprise. We are well under the luxury tax so I’m not sure we need it. It would need to be a trade because I don’t want anyone in the free agent market.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Scott….we just disagree. Yes you can have your whole roster made up like that if you want. You can send guys to this thing called the g league too. But you are correct. If you want to be a play in tournament team you don’t want a roster full of 23 and under guys….but don’t worry…if there is a 26 year old in the draft with no upside I’m sure we will take them like we did Duarte…nothing wrong with this roster here…see OKC. Also if you want to combine picks to move up that fine…but if you want to give them away for cash…I’m sorry if I’m not thrilled you want to refill your jet.

IMG_2016.png

Just show me the transactions over the last couple of years that makes you not believe in the organization.  You are still looking at things that happened 5 years ago. Pritchard made two great trades when their so called super stars demanded a trade.

Got two eventual all stars for Paul George. VO and Sabonis.

Got Lavert for VO

Traded Sabonis, Holliday and got Haliburton and Heild

Traded Lavert for a 1st round picks 

Traded Brogdon for a 1st round.

Also I just looked at draft trades the last couple of years and you see a lot of trades for future picks and cash

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just show me the transactions over the last couple of years that makes you not believe in the organization.  You are still looking at things that happened 5 years ago. Pritchard made two great trades when their so called super stars demanded a trade.

Got two eventual all stars for Paul George. VO and Sabonis.

Got Lavert for VO

Traded Sabonis, Holliday and got Haliburton and Heild

Traded Lavert for a 1st round picks 

Traded Brogdon for a 1st round.

Also I just looked at draft trades the last couple of years and you see a lot of trades for future picks and cash

I’m sorry Scott but where has all that got us? We have a poor team with one all star point guard…the team has always made moves with one eye always on putting people in the seat and trying make the playoffs…the goal is to win a championship…not make the playoffs. Mediocrity is the worst thing for a sports  fan. It may pay the bills for the owners (as Simon has proven) but it sure doesn’t make for a compelling team. It’s been 5 years since the Pacers last won a playoff game….that isn’t even talking about a playoff series…almost 10 years since that happened. Color me not impressed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m sorry Scott but where has all that got us? We have a poor team with one all star point guard…the team has always made moves with one eye always on putting people in the seat and trying make the playoffs…the goal is to win a championship…not make the playoffs. Mediocrity is the worst thing for a sports  fan. It may pay the bills for the owners (as Simon has proven) but it sure doesn’t make for a compelling team. It’s been 5 years since the Pacers last won a playoff game….that isn’t even talking about a playoff series…almost 10 years since that happened. Color me not impressed.

You couldn't be more wrong on this one. You brought up OKC and their roster and how many trades did they do to acquire draft picks. They keep swapping draft picks and has lik3 30 1st round picks in the next 10 years. A rebuild takes more than a coue of year in the NBA. Since they put Buchanan in tbe GM role and move Pritchard to the president role they have made great studies. Went from 25-35 wins in one year. Started out 23-18 lady year and at that time.e was 4th in the East. When Haliburton got injured the season went down hill.

For the Denver traded if we traded  the 29 and 32 for the 20th pick in this year's draft would you like the trade. The first round we get next year will probably will be in the low 20's at the worst. That pick has been traded so many times there are a lot of stipulations to the pick. We get the pick of the team with the best record from Houston, OKC, Utah and the Clippers. If it were this year we would have gotten the 20th pick 

Now we have two first round picks this year and 2 next year as well. We can use them in other trades to get experience players. Say next year we are in the playoff contention at the trade deadline this pick gives us more to trade.

We have more than just one good player. Mathurin was a all rookie first team last year. Nemhardt was a big surprise with his roomie season. Turner had a very good year and played well with Haliburton. We need a starter at the 3 and 4 and if we do that we are a playoff team. 

Edited by IU Scott

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You couldn't be more wrong on this one. You brought up OKC and their roster and how many trades did they do to acquire draft picks. They keep swapping draft picks and has lik3 30 1st round picks in the next 10 years. A rebuild takes more than a coue of year in the NBA. Since they put Buchanan in tbe GM role and move Pritchard to the president role they have made great studies. Went from 25-35 wins in one year. Started out 23-18 lady year and at that time.e was 4th in the East. When Haliburton got injured the season went down hill.

For the Denver traded if we traded  the 29 and 32 for the 20th pick in this year's draft would you like the trade. The first round we get next year will probably will be in the low 20's at the worst. That pick has been traded so many times there are a lot of stipulations to the pick. We get the pick of the team with the best record from Houston, OKC, Utah and the Clippers. If it were this year we would have gotten the 20th pick 

Now we have two first round picks this year and 2 next year as well. We can use them in other trades to get experience players. Say next year we are in the playoff contention at the trade deadline this pick gives us more to trade.

We have more than just one good player. Mathurin was an all rookie first team last year. Nemhardt was a big surprise with his roomie season. Turner had a very good year and played well with Haliburton. We need a starter at the 3 and 4 and if we do that we are a playoff team. 

Nothing you said made me think positive about our team. Nothing. I like Halliburton I do…Mathurin struggles to shoot the ball and is a horrible defender right now but hopefully that can change.  I’m not sure he can even be a starter in this league if we are talking about on a deep playoff caliber team. Nemhardt was a solid second rd pick but again he isn’t a starter. I see no superstar yet, and I see marginal starting caliber talent. …but I’m holding out hope. This is a bad team who I think doesn’t have direction on building a championship team. I think they want to pick at 7 and call the rebuild complete then make moves to land veterans like Barnes etc and be just good enough to secure an 8 seed and sell enough tickets to make Simon some $. Imo we are doing a half a$$ed rebuild. Go all in for crying out loud.

• Confused 1

Anyone who thinks the Pacers have done a bad job in the last 2-3 years reshaping the roster is just wrong. I’m sorry but you are. They’ve made good moves and made pretty good picks. They still need to make some upgrades but they’re getting closer. Let’s see what they do over the next few weeks between the draft and free agency. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Anyone who thinks the Pacers have done a bad job in the last 2-3 years reshaping the roster is just wrong. I’m sorry but you are. They’ve made good moves and made pretty good picks. They still need to make some upgrades but they’re getting closer. Let’s see what they do over the next few weeks between the draft and free agency. 

No doubt they are on the right track

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

To me when I watch Taylor Hendricks I see Paul George. That’s who the Pacers should pick imo. Walker is a solid defender and can play the 4 but athletic wings win and the Pacers haven’t had a real good one since PG left. 

I like Walker because of his defense and rebounding.  I don't think we need a big scorer because scoring wasn't a problem last year.  I think we will use the 7th pick on  one of these two and then sign a player at the position we don't pick.  If we pick Walker I could see us signing someone lime Harrison Barnes.

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Sure we are improving. The horrible decision of holding onto twin bigs and trying to make that work means moving off that and getting a promising point guard is of course better. So right track…ehh. That’s not saying much imo. Hopefully what I’m hearing about adding veteran wings like Tobias Harris and Harrison Barnes are incorrect. I don’t mind taking on vets with big contracts if picks are involved but watching Boston move Marcus Smart for the haul they got plus draft picks and we still haven’t moved Heild or TJM or Turner is just not good enough.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I like Walker because of his defense and rebounding.  I don't think we need a big scorer because scoring wasn't a problem last year.  I think we will use the 7th pick on  one of these two and then sign a player at the position we don't pick.  If we pick Walker I could see us signing someone lime Harrison Barnes.

I get that but to me you take the guy that has a higher upside rather than drafting for need. The Pacers aren’t a title contender that only has one whole.

25 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Hey @BGleas thoughts on the Celtics trade?

Im sad to see Marcus Smart go, but I like it. We have more work to do to fill things out, but we traded high on Smart who is going to trend down quickly due to his physical style. 

We got a big that is very efficient offensively from both inside and the 3, is a plus-defender, and takes some offensive load off of Tatum and Brown. 

I also think if Derrick White is your 3rd best player you're losing in the 2nd round or ECF, but if he's your 4th guy then you can win a championship. 

We need to add a guard and wing depth, but I like this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

@BGleas I keep seeing on the TL that TJD and Celtics make sense. Does it?

Not sure, I haven't seen anything on that. I'm not sure it would be a great fit for TJD. 

He'd be behind Rob Williams, Porzingas and if we keep him Grant Williams. 

We also have a GLeague big that the organization likes. So given the Celtics goal is a championship, I don't see it as a great fit for TJD. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Im sad to see Marcus Smart go, but I like it. We have more work to do to fill things out, but we traded high on Smart who is going to trend down quickly due to his physical style. 

We got a big that is very efficient offensively from both inside and the 3, is a plus-defender, and takes some offensive load off of Tatum and Brown. 

I also think if Derrick White is your 3rd best player you're losing in the 2nd round or ECF, but if he's your 4th guy then you can win a championship. 

We need to add a guard and wing depth, but I like this. 

I agree. Great job selling high….unlike a certain team I know that holds on to guys too long and doesn’t know how to maximize value for their guys.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Not sure, I haven't seen anything on that. I'm not sure it would be a great fit for TJD. 

He'd be behind Rob Williams, Porzingas and if we keep him Grant Williams. 

We also have a GLeague big that the organization likes. So given the Celtics goal is a championship, I don't see it as a great fit for TJD. 

You will have to hope Porzingas can stay healthy and that is a big if. You also have Brogdon who has trouble staying healthy. Still can't believe the Celtics got two first round games.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I agree. Great job selling high….unlike a certain team I know that holds on to guys too long and doesn’t know how to maximize value for their guys.

That was Red Auerbach's mantra, sell high on players before they decline. 

It not only still permeates the Celtics front office, but even the other franchises there. That's partly where Belichick got that style from too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The last couple of years who have we had on to long. We got two future all stars for PG so that trade ended up well. We got a good player for VO who wanted out and was injured.