NBA Thread

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wowzer…no wonder these kids want to get to the NBA so bad!! As for Brown….man that would give me heartburn….especially knowing you would have another max contract with Tatum alongside. I don’t know how you can fill out a quality roster once you get to numbers like that. Bostons depth which has been a big plus will certainly take a hit.

Next year is a HUGE year for the Celtics obviously.

The salary cap will keep going up too. Obviously having two super max guys leaves less for everyone else, but if it’s two top ten or fifteen players you can do it and still get the right guys around them.

The question for Boston is of course if they think Brown is that good. I think the skills there, and he’s a really smart good guy, so you’d think he’d put it together in big playoff moments at some point. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Some data on just how insane Miami's shooting was in this series, especially considering 3pt shooting was a weakness for them most of the season. 

I mean yes, but also two of the games were blowouts and one of the Heat win they only shot 34% from three.

Game 3 for example, the Heat could have made 5 less threes (40%) and still won by double digits. Game 7, they could have made 3 less (39%) and still won by double digits. As good as the Heat shot, they still don't shoot a particularly high volume by today's standards so the absurd percentages they put up aren't the same as if the Celts shot that percentage. 

The Heat also made a good clip from there in two of their losses (Games 5 and 6), yet the Celtics found a way to win. Probably because in two of the three Celtics wins they had good shooting nights from three, and turned the Heat over a lot while taking pretty good care of the ball themselves. Those things all feed off of each other in the Celts wins IMO. 

I get that I'm giving an overly simplistic explanation, but if the Celtics internal response is to say, "well they just shot out of their minds" then they're not going to address the problems and not get to where they want to go. 

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The salary cap will keep going up too. Obviously having two super max guys leaves less for everyone else, but if it’s two top ten or fifteen players you can do it and still get the right guys around them.

The question for Boston is of course if they think Brown is that good. I think the skills there, and he’s a really smart good guy, so you’d think he’d put it together in big playoff moments at some point. 

Well he did have the cut on his hand. That couldn’t have helped. I wonder if they are anticipating big money coming in on the next tv deal but I’m not so sure about all that. Outside or NFL I got to wonder how much appetite for the rest of the professional sports are…not sure there will be a huge bidding war as more and more people keep moving away from the traditional cable and tv providers.

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

Some data on just how insane Miami's shooting was in this series, especially considering 3pt shooting was a weakness for them most of the season. 

Yep hard to dispute Miami shot incrediblely well. They definitely had the right guys shooting the right shots…and obviously the guys were in a great rhythm the whole series. It’s one thing if you are giving up those good looks to poor shooters as you would normally want them to beat you (think making Green and Wiggins/Barnes shoot 3s for GS as opposed to Steph, Klay, Poole). Miami doesn’t have Steph/Klay but it seemed the guys got hot together. Streus, Robinson, Vincent, Martin all were in a good rhythm all series…..they played small a lot and Boston didn’t take advantage at the rim enough. We saw what happened when Boston made them try to finish in the paint…Heat could score over them. 

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Outside or NFL I got to wonder how much appetite for the rest of the professional sports are…not sure there will be a huge bidding war as more and more people keep moving away from the traditional cable and tv providers.

It will be interesting. Live sports content, while losing viewers, is holding up better than TV overall. NBA regular season primetime viewership was the same as 20 years ago, although down a lot from 10 years ago, but overall TV primetime viewing is down 40% in the last 20 years. 

One caveat: Nielson started counting out of home viewership in 2020 (bars, etc). 

image.thumb.png.9e4b1fd5e4425532c0c9d55a4d667c8a.png

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It will be interesting. Live sports content, while losing viewers, is holding up better than TV overall. NBA regular season primetime viewership was the same as 20 years ago, although down a lot from 10 years ago, but overall TV primetime viewing is down 40% in the last 20 years. 

One caveat: Nielson started counting out of home viewership in 2020 (bars, etc). 

image.thumb.png.9e4b1fd5e4425532c0c9d55a4d667c8a.png

No doubt live sports are doing much better than other programming but you can only get so much blood from a turnip. It’s valuable but network tv in general is still having a very hard time in this new environment and obviously advertisers will continue to look at other digital avenues etc. I just wonder everyone always assumes they will get more money…well what happens when they that doesn’t happen? We’ve seen teams in MLB and NHL etc not get paid and have their contracted providers go out of business…going to be interesting to see how many bidders for the nba there are this go around…especially if this is a dud viewership these finals.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No doubt live sports are doing much better than other programming but you can only get so much blood from a turnip. It’s valuable but network tv in general is still having a very hard time in this new environment and obviously advertisers will continue to look at other digital avenues etc. I just wonder everyone always assumes they will get more money…well what happens when they that doesn’t happen? We’ve seen teams in MLB and NHL etc not get paid and have their contracted providers go out of business…going to be interesting to see how many bidders for the nba there are this go around…especially if this is a dud viewership these finals.

ESPN doesn't have much leverage. From mid-October to mid-March, the NBA fills 10-15 hours of night-time, live programming per week. Plus, all of the discussion programming that feeds off of that. 

Word is, the NBA is looking to triple their existing contract to $75B. We'll see. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

ESPN doesn't have much leverage. From mid-October to mid-March, the NBA fills 10-15 hours of night-time, live programming per week. Plus, all of the discussion programming that feeds off of that. 

Word is, the NBA is looking to triple their existing contract to $75B. We'll see. 

ESPN has plenty of sports they can put on. Pickle ball, cornhole, etc. now would it be smart…probably not but Disney may look to sell ESPN or spin it off so who knows how much they want to invest. There are other suitors of course like Amazon, Apple, etc and maybe ESPN puts all their live sports behind a paywall in their ESPN+ I can see that to make up the revenue but Disney is looking to cut costs so it will be interesting to see how much more the NBA will get. We all know it will be more…but with inflation etc we will see how things go. The only thing certain is uncertainty.

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Wow...we'll see.  At some point, the numbers simply don't make any sense financially.  No idea what that number is, but it would be interesting to see how the revenue trend compares to just the general rate of inflation.  If it's multiples of inflation, it likely won't work.  At some point, most people simply can't afford tickets, subscriptions, etc. and something has to give.

• Like 1

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Wow...we'll see.  At some point, the numbers simply don't make any sense financially.  No idea what that number is, but it would be interesting to see how the revenue trend compares to just the general rate of inflation.  If it's multiples of inflation, it likely won't work.  At some point, most people simply can't afford tickets, subscriptions, etc. and something has to give.

More and more cord cutters….ESPN and cable tv providers are bleeding money. I have a feeling maybe not in the next 10 years but after that the market will be vastly different…NFL and others will probably be stream only.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

More and more cord cutters….ESPN and cable tv providers are bleeding money. I have a feeling maybe not in the next 10 years but after that the market will be vastly different…NFL and others will probably be stream only.

Also would not shock me that it's an NBA and/or NFL-only stream.  Lots of streaming subscribers are subsidizing the cost of live sports with little to no interest in watching them.  I could see YouTube TV, Hulu, etc. making various leagues available as add-on subscriptions for those who really want them.  Isn't NFL Sunday ticket already a thing?  I could see this more and more, frankly.

On 5/31/2023 at 1:34 PM, dgambill said:

Inflation? They're going to get more money, it may not be the same as the NFL or even the same as other increases, but their TV contract is absolutely not going to get smaller, ticket prices are not going to go down, beer prices are not going to go down.... 

On 5/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, FKIM01 said:

I mean, if you told teams 60 years ago what the numbers are today, I think they'd have said we passed the "numbers don't make sense" threshold a few decades ago. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Let's Go Heat! 

PS...the stars have aligned for Denver. If they can't finish this one off they never will.

Curious on the stars aligning comment - have they not decimated the West including neutering LBJ and KD?

I think they've made it looks easy because they're really good more than the stars have aligned. 

• Like 1

I'm all in on Denver! Hate the Heat. I actually really like Jimmy Butler, but can't stand the rest of them. 

I'm a Joker guy and like their coach too. I don't really like Murray though. But I also have family in Dever that are big fans, so I'm rooting for Denver and actively against Miami. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm all in on Denver! Hate the Heat. I actually really like Jimmy Butler, but can't stand the rest of them. 

I'm a Joker guy and like their coach too. I don't really like Murray though. But I also have family in Dever that are big fans, so I'm rooting for Denver and actively against Miami. 

artworks-000344152692-hch6qf-t500x500.jpg.6f217a725d3e14de78dbd923b5eb62b6.jpg

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, if you told teams 60 years ago what the numbers are today, I think they'd have said we passed the "numbers don't make sense" threshold a few decades ago. 

Yes...BUT...now we have the declining TV viewership issue.  At some point, viewership dropping while costs go up has to create a problem where economic equilibrium has no choice but to adjust.  Something has to give here.  ESPN won't pay triple just because the NBA asks for it.  It either has to make economic sense, or they don't do it, or they do it and go bankrupt.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did Mark Jackson just say, "Michael Porter has to be in the discussion for most improved defensive player over the last month." 

Did I hear that right? What does that even mean?!?!

It means he has a habit of saying random things because he must be afraid of dead air time.   😅

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes...BUT...now we have the declining TV viewership issue.  At some point, viewership dropping while costs go up has to create a problem where economic equilibrium has no choice but to adjust.  Something has to give here.  ESPN won't pay triple just because the NBA asks for it.  It either has to make economic sense, or they don't do it, or they do it and go bankrupt.

I am excited to see who is the most improved player between the 1st and 2nd quarter.

Momma, there goes that man!