Looking ahead to 2019-2020

1 hour ago, rico said:

Good take Scott and I am right there with you.  And I will add Purdue scares me a bunch.  They are pretty much going through next year just as they did this year.  The Boilers do have guys that are ready to step into starting roles that saw considerable time this year.  Add to it that Newman is coming in as well.  

I’m not buying the Purdue hype. They are losing 3 of their biggest pieces, in Edwards, Cline, and Eifert. None of their recruits are expected to be more than bench players in year 1. They will be decent but not world beaters next year. Middle of the pack conference team with a slew of other teams.

I think people are trying to minimize how young we were last season. Then elevate where other programs are at. IU started the Big Ten tournament with 4 freshmen and sophomores. Getting older is going to play a huge role next year.

MSU, Iowa, and Maryland are the top of the conference. After that IU could finish anywhere from 4th to 9th. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m not buying the Purdue hype. They are losing 3 of their biggest pieces, in Edwards, Cline, and Eifert. None of their recruits are expected to be more than bench players in year 1. They will be decent but not world beaters next year. Middle of the pack conference team with a slew of other teams.

And where have I heard this before?  Oh, it was right here before last season after Purdue lost 4 starters.  How did that work out for them?

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

I think people are trying to minimize how young we were last season. Then elevate where other programs are at. IU started the Big Ten tournament with 4 freshmen and sophomores. Getting older is going to play a huge role next year.

MSU, Iowa, and Maryland are the top of the conference. After that IU could finish anywhere from 4th to 9th. 

People said the same thing when they lost 4 seniors the year before and yet they win the big ten.

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, I understand discussion but I have seen some comments where people seem to think he is going to come in and be as good as Romeo based off a quote from a player in early practices.

Discuss away, just don't build up an expectation around the guy that is going to unfairly set him up for "failure".

He is like the second string QB that everyone has heard was great in practice, they think they got the next Tom Brady sitting on the bench when in reality they may just have a fairly solid player.  When you expect great and get good, it leads to disappointment.  I just want a little more cautious optimism about a guy who is apparently coming back from surgery for a freak condition.

Romeo was far from the only one saying Hunter was really good.  Prior to going out of commission, he was a gold jersey recipient, labeled as a gym rat and Jockitch raved about him.  As I said (and you apparently failed to notice), he could soundly beat expectations or he could be a complete zero if not recovered.  I don't think that's over-hyping him.

3 hours ago, Feathery said:

I think your first paragraph is almost verbatim what we heard last year. It was “They lose 4 senior starters and it’ll be Carsen Edwards and a bunch of nobodies.” Going into last year, no one had any idea what Grady Eifert would become. We started a walk-on at the 4 this year lol. I fully expect Aaron Wheeler to be a better 4 next year than Grady was this year. He’s got a ton of potential and showed a good amount of it last year. 

And you’re incorrect with your comment about none of the recruits are expected to be anything more than bench guys. I’d be very surprised if Brandon Newman doesn’t start next year. 

I think Painter gets the benefit of the doubt after what he showed this year with this team don’t you?

15 hours ago, JWoolsey said:

Alright guys I've got a little treat for yall....I've been spamming the optimism vibe around the forum lately and I'll continue that again.

Replacing the output lost from Romeo and Juwan looks pretty daunting but in reality I don't think that it will be. I've cooked up a formula in excel to find out how difficult that would be and honestly it was very easy to do. I could see every player on the list performing better than that output besides Trayce which makes next year even more enticing.

Working on the assumption that we land Brunk.

Devonte - 28.6 mpg / 12.6 ppg.

Durham - 28.3 mpg / 9.6 ppg.

Rob - 27.7 mpg / 8.6 ppg.

Trayce - 23.4 mpg / 11.2 ppg.

Smith - 21.4 mpg / 7.1 ppg.

De'ron - 15.7 mpg / 6.1 ppg.

Brunk - 15.7 mpg / 5.0 ppg.

Hunter - 15.7 mpg / 5.3 ppg.

Race - 10.0 mpg / 2.7 ppg.

Damezi - 9.0 mpg / 2.3 ppg.

Franklin - 4.6 mpg / 0.9 ppg.

care to share the spreadsheet?

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think your first paragraph is almost verbatim what we heard last year. It was “They lose 4 senior starters and it’ll be Carsen Edwards and a bunch of nobodies.” Going into last year, no one had any idea what Grady Eifert would become. We started a walk-on at the 4 this year lol. I fully expect Aaron Wheeler to be a better 4 next year than Grady was this year. He’s got a ton of potential and showed a good amount of it last year. 

And you’re incorrect with your comment about none of the recruits are expected to be anything more than bench guys. I’d be very surprised if Brandon Newman doesn’t start next year. 

I think Painter gets the benefit of the doubt after what he showed this year with this team don’t you?

If you start Brandon Newman, as a true freshman, then you're not as good as you think. He will be a good player, but on a top tier big ten team, he will be a bench contributor. That’s not a knock on him, he just isn’t the caliber of player in year one. He will be a really good player before his time at Purdue is done. 

You may have heard this or that last year but you still had Carsen Edwards, a lights out 3 point shooter in Cline, and the ultimate Brian Cardinalesqe annoyance player in Eifert. You had less wins this year than last. It took a historic run by Carsen to carry purdue to the Elite 8. 

You have some nice pieces coming back, but you will slide back a few games again this year. Again, I’m not saying Purdue will suck, they will just be in the mix with the rest of the mid tier pack of the conference. They are not on par with MSU, Maryland, and Iowa. But they will be on par with OSU, Michigan, IU, and Minnesota. I’m interested in seeing if Illinois joins this group and I’m not sure what to make of a Happless Wisconsin. 

33 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If you start Brandon Newman, as a true freshman, then you're not as good as you think. He will be a good player, but on a top tier big ten team, he will be a bench contributor. That’s not a knock on him, he just isn’t the caliber of player in year one. He will be a really good player before his time at Purdue is done. 

You may have heard this or that last year but you still had Carsen Edwards, a lights out 3 point shooter in Cline, and the ultimate Brian Cardinalesqe annoyance player in Eifert. You had less wins this year than last. It took a historic run by Carsen to carry purdue to the Elite 8. 

You have some nice pieces coming back, but you will slide back a few games again this year. Again, I’m not saying Purdue will suck, they will just be in the mix with the rest of the mid tier pack of the conference. They are not on par with MSU, Maryland, and Iowa. But they will be on par with OSU, Michigan, IU, and Minnesota. I’m interested in seeing if Illinois joins this group and I’m not sure what to make of a Happless Wisconsin. 

You would fit right in with the Purdue "experts" here before last season to a tee.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

You would fit right in with the Purdue "experts" here before last season to a tee.  

Let’s look at the Purdue lineup for a second, using Newman as a starter like Boiler thinks.  

PG - Hunter So. (Ave 2.2 pt, 30% fg)

SG - Newman Fr. 

SF - Eastern Jr.  (avg 7.5, 49.5% fg)

PF - Wheeler Rs So. (4.7 ppg, 44% fg)

C - Haarms Rs Jr. (9.4 ppg, 63% fg)

bench - I don’t know what to expect here.

The point I’m making is there is nothing to fear from Purdue. They are where a lot of teams in the conference are at next year. Could finish as high as 4th, or as low as 9th. 

55 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Let’s look at the Purdue lineup for a second, using Newman as a starter like Boiler thinks.  

SG - Newman Fr. 

The point I’m making is there is nothing to fear from Purdue. They are where a lot of teams in the conference are at next year. Could finish as high as 4th, or as low as 9th. 

First off, I don’t think Hunter will start. I’m guessing it’ll be as follows:

PG- Eastern- he’s already an all-league defender and I think his role on offense will expand next year  

SG- Stefanovich- can possibly be the next Cline/Mathias but more athletic/better at creating  

SF- Newman- will be a stud imo even if not right away. Will be needed to make shots.

PF- Wheeler- the guy is a potential star in the making IMO. Easily the most athletic 4 Painter has ever had. Already has shown he can shoot it just needs to improve his ball-handling skills.  I expect a big jump from him.

C- Haarms- the guy was playing at an all-B1G level toward the end of the year and I expect him to have a really good year next year.

Bench:

Trevion Williams- had a much better year than anyone anticipated and will be a really good backup for Haarms.

Hunter- will back up multiple guard spots. His D was solid this year just have to hope his shot comes around.

Dowuona- Mobile big who redshirted last year. Still a work in progress but super athletic.

Thompson- Good shooter who will back up PG spot.

Gillis- probably going to redshirt.

All in all, still a lot of solid pieces to work with. It was beneficial for all of the young guys (Wheeler, Stefanovich, Williams, and Hunter) to get so much experience this year which will pay dividends next year. 

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

First off, I don’t think Hunter will start. I’m guessing it’ll be as follows:

PG- Eastern- he’s already an all-league defender and I think his role on offense will expand next year  

SG- Stefanovich- can possibly be the next Cline/Mathias but more athletic/better at creating  

SF- Newman- will be a stud imo even if not right away. Will be needed to make shots.

PF- Wheeler- the guy is a potential star in the making IMO. Easily the most athletic 4 Painter has ever had. Already has shown he can shoot it just needs to improve his ball-handling skills.  I expect a big jump from him.

C- Haarms- the guy was playing at an all-B1G level toward the end of the year and I expect him to have a really good year next year.

Bench:

Trevion Williams- had a much better year than anyone anticipated and will be a really good backup for Haarms.

Hunter- will back up multiple guard spots. His D was solid this year just have to hope his shot comes around.

Dowuona- Mobile big who redshirted last year. Still a work in progress but super athletic.

Thompson- Good shooter who will back up PG spot.

Gillis- probably going to redshirt.

All in all, still a lot of solid pieces to work with. It was beneficial for all of the young guys (Wheeler, Stefanovich, Williams, and Hunter) to get so much experience this year which will pay dividends next year. 

Williams and Wheeler are the two that I think have big potential. Haarms will be Haarms...he is an effort energy guy and will probably put up similar numbers but I can see Williams turning into a really good big. I do think there will be growing pains next year because it isn’t just losing starters they were the identity of the team and everything ran through them...guys will have to learn new roles etc. I still expect you to be a tournament team though.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

SG - Newman Fr. 

You also had more unknowns going into last year than you do this year. Starters this past year based on their previous year stats:

Eastern- 2.9 PPG; 48% fg

Edwards- 18.5 PPG; 45% fg

Cline- 4.0 PPG; 39% fg

Eifert- 1.6 PPG; 63% fg

Haarms- 4.8 PPG; 58% fg

Aside from Carsen, you had question marks across the board. Obviously he was talented but the narrative was it’s Carsen Edwards and a bunch of unproven guys which was the truth. Now you have 2 returning starters and the other starters and bench guys played a lot last year and got a ton of experience. That wasn’t the case going into this past season. Eifert had barely played, Wheeler, Stefanovich, Williams, and Hunter were playing for the first time. Carsen and Cline had the most experience with Eastern and Haarms having a decent bit of exposure. This year is going to be a lot different in that regard. 

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You also had more unknowns going into last year than you do this year. Starters this past year based on their previous year stats:

Eastern- 2.9 PPG; 48% fg

Edwards- 18.5 PPG; 45% fg

Cline- 4.0 PPG; 39% fg

Eifert- 1.6 PPG; 63% fg

Haarms- 4.8 PPG; 58% fg

Aside from Carsen, you had question marks across the board. Obviously he was talented but the narrative was it’s Carsen Edwards and a bunch of unproven guys which was the truth. Now you have 2 returning starters and the other starters and bench guys played a lot last year and got a ton of experience. That wasn’t the case going into this past season. Eifert had barely played, Wheeler, Stefanovich, Williams, and Hunter were playing for the first time. Carsen and Cline had the most experience with Eastern and Haarms having a decent bit of exposure. This year is going to be a lot different in that regard. 

I’m happy you think Purdue will be good. Yet, you still haven’t proven to me where they are better than MSU, Iowa, or Maryland. Which would mean at best they finish 4th and take a step back next year. Which means they will be fighting with the rest of the pack in the middle of the conference. I see no talent advantage between Purdue, OSU, Minnesota, IU, or Michigan. Throw in Wisc, Illinois (Ayo stays?), and Rutgers (Only 1 senior last year) in that mix if you want too. I think all of those teams are good and pretty equal on overall talent. The middle teams will be mixing it up all season. 

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

I’m happy you think Purdue will be good. Yet, you still haven’t proven to me where they are better than MSU, Iowa, or Maryland. Which would mean at best they finish 4th and take a step back next year. Which means they will be fighting with the rest of the pack in the middle of the conference. I see no talent advantage between Purdue, OSU, Minnesota, IU, or Michigan. Throw in Wisc, Illinois (Ayo stays?), and Rutgers (Only 1 senior last year) in that mix if you want too. I think all of those teams are good and pretty equal on overall talent. The middle teams will be mixing it up all season. 

I don't expect them to be better than MSU or Maryland but I do think they'll be better than Iowa assuming Cook doesn't come back.  Why would I bet on McCaffrey over Painter?  Iowa almost always chokes down the stretch.  Minnesota loses by far their two best players and I think Purdue will have the better team.  OSU will be interesting to see where they are next year and are we really going to talk about the talent difference between IU and Purdue?  I'd argue the overall talent difference was negligible last year between the two programs.  It's not like our roster was stacked with 4 and 5* guys while yours wasn't. 

9 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I believe Michigan State was the ,#1 seed going into the B T en post season tournament ,not pee yew! They BEAT the smellermakers and went to the Final Four , Not pee yew ! Some people seem to have their information  Wrong !!!!

I take it the EE doesn't mean anything in your book?  Purdue had a great season and we were the ones with our heads in the proverbial toilet.  No amount of bashing is gonna change that fact.

14 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I believe Michigan State was the ,#1 seed going into the B T en post season tournament ,not pee yew! They BEAT the smellermakers and went to the Final Four , Not pee yew ! Some people seem to have their information  Wrong !!!!

Purdue and MSU both split the B1G Title this year.  MSU had #1 seed due to the tiebreaker mainly due to them whooping up on Michigan (and ironically losing to you guys twice).  They beat Purdue once but also lost to them as well. Seems like you're the person who has wrong info.

Nope ! I was Correct ! MS U was the#1seed going into the Big Ten post season tournament ! No matter how you try to twist it ! Not pee yew !!! ps  , this forum seems to have been taken over by Black and Gold with all of the love being given to those pee yew jerks ????????? It makes me sick to my stomach to see this crap on an Indiana Fotum

14 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Nope ! I was Correct ! MS U was the#1seed going into the Big Ten post season tournament ! No matter how you try to twist it ! Not pee yew !!! ps  , this forum seems to have been taken over by Black and Gold with all of the love being given to those pee yew jerks ????????? It makes me sick to my stomach to see this crap on an Indiana Fotum

None of that matters.  The record books will show that Purdue won the B1G in 2019, not that they were the 2 seed in the B1G tournament.

I guess HTD has already forgotten that we got bounced from the NIT and the Boilers made it to the EE in the NCAAT.  Now he is planting yet another seed for next year.  Well my take is we better quit bashing on them and take care of our own house.

33 minutes ago, rico said:

I guess HTD has already forgotten that we got bounced from the NIT and the Boilers made it to the EE in the NCAAT.  Now he is planting yet another seed for next year.  Well my take is we better quit bashing on them and take care of our own house.

I just hope that I have HALF of the enthusiasm as HTD has when I'm his age.  Gotta respect him for that, no matter how crimson colored his glasses are.

Archived