Looking ahead to 2019-2020

7 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I just hope that I have HALF of the enthusiasm as HTD has when I'm his age.  Gotta respect him for that, no matter how crimson colored his glasses are.

Don't confuse enthusiasm for hatred.......because hatred can swallow you up.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don't expect them to be better than MSU or Maryland but I do think they'll be better than Iowa assuming Cook doesn't come back.  Why would I bet on McCaffrey over Painter?  Iowa almost always chokes down the stretch.  Minnesota loses by far their two best players and I think Purdue will have the better team.  OSU will be interesting to see where they are next year and are we really going to talk about the talent difference between IU and Purdue?  I'd argue the overall talent difference was negligible last year between the two programs.  It's not like our roster was stacked with 4 and 5* guys while yours wasn't. 

I’m thinking Cook stays. If he leaves, then I agree they fall that to the middle pack with the rest.

Has Coffey said he is leaving early for Minnesota? 

IU talent and Purdue talent last season comes down to experience and chemistry for me. We were a very youthful side with a senior leader. Purdue didn’t have to rely on freshmen. You guys had both quality and quantity of upperclassmen. Experience matters. 

I wouldn’t bet on who will finish higher between the two teams right now. Obviously IU is still recruiting for next season and while I think Hunter plays, it’s not set in stone yet. Is Purdue finished or are they still recruiting for next year?

42 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Dang it !  pee yew did not win the 2019 Big Ten title ?!They were co-champions ! That is not Winning the title , that is SHARING the title ! A big difference , unless you are a Purdue fan , apparently !!!!!

It's actually not a big difference at all.  Look at it on Wikipedia.  It shows regular season championships.  Without doing research, it's not obvious if it was shared or outright.

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

I’m thinking Cook stays. If he leaves, then I agree they fall that to the middle pack with the rest.

Has Coffey said he is leaving early for Minnesota? 

IU talent and Purdue talent last season comes down to experience and chemistry for me. We were a very youthful side with a senior leader. Purdue didn’t have to rely on freshmen. You guys had both quality and quantity of upperclassmen. Experience matters. 

I wouldn’t bet on who will finish higher between the two teams right now. Obviously IU is still recruiting for next season and while I think Hunter plays, it’s not set in stone yet. Is Purdue finished or are they still recruiting for next year?

Yeah Coffey declared but could technically still come back now that they've changed the rules where you can come back even if you hire an agent.

I mean Purdue only had 3 upperclassmen that played meaningful minutes.  They had 4 freshman who all played and 2 sophomores.  I agree IU was younger but Purdue had to rely on young guys quite a bit last year.

Purdue is still recruiting a bit for next year.  Either a grad transfer or potentially Jake LaRavia as well.

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Dang it !  pee yew did not win the 2019 Big Ten title ?!They were co-champions ! That is not Winning the title , that is SHARING the title ! A big difference , unless you are a Purdue fan , apparently !!!!!

We won the big ten in 2002 but shared it with 4 other teams but we are still considered conference champions.

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah Coffey declared but could technically still come back now that they've changed the rules where you can come back even if you hire an agent.

I mean Purdue only had 3 upperclassmen that played meaningful minutes.  They had 4 freshman who all played and 2 sophomores.  I agree IU was younger but Purdue had to rely on young guys quite a bit last year.

Purdue is still recruiting a bit for next year.  Either a grad transfer or potentially Jake LaRavia as well.

Let’s do a quick comparison by position. IU vs PU, tell me who you think has the advantage. (Using your lineup for PU)

PG - Phinisee or Easton

SG - Green or Stefanovich

SF - Hunter or Newman

PF - Jackson-Davis or Wheeler

C - Davis or Haarms

I can talk myself into being excited about IU with our potential roster in terms of personnel.  But I really think the key thing will be whether there is a 180 turnaround in terms of chemistry, competitiveness, and toughness.  Those things we can't know in the offseason sketching out different lineups (although fun).  We will have to wait and see what it looks like on the floor.  Let's be honest, other teams consistently wanted it more last year.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Let’s do a quick comparison by position. IU vs PU, tell me who you think has the advantage. (Using your lineup for PU)

PG - Phinisee or Easton

SF - Hunter or Newman

C - Davis or Haarms

That comparison makes me feel pretty good!

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Me too. Hunter needs to play, you and I have discussed that prior. But of those lineups, one could argue that IU has the advantage at every position other than center. 

It will be worse for the Toiletmakers if Eastern declares for the draft!

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

PG - Phinisee or Easton

SF - Hunter or Newman

C - Davis or Haarms

PG- I’ll go with Eastern. Better rebounder, better defender, and I think he will have a bigger role and score a lot for Purdue next year. I like Phinisee and think he’ll be really good but I like Eastern more in terms of what he can bring to the table. 

SG- Green over Sasha. I like Sasha and think he’ll be really good but will give the nod to Green for sure. 

SF- I’m going to leave that one alone. Newman is a freshman and we have no idea what to expect from Hunter. 

PF- This is an interesting one. Both are athletic but Wheeler is by far the better shooter. TJD is highly ranked obviously but how big of an impact will he have from Day 1? I don’t know if there’s a clear winner  here. For reference, Swanigan averaged 10 ppg as a freshman. I’m guessing TJD can get that too but I bet Wheeler can as well with an expanded role. 

C- Haarms over Davis. I like Davis but he’s been injury prone and hasn’t quite put it all together yet. I like his offensive game better than Haarms but Haarms is night and day better on defense. I think Haarms is a better shooter but Davis has the better post game. 

So I’ll take Purdue at PG and C, IU has the advantage at SG, and I think SF and PF are too close to call. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Are we STILL talking about Purdue???

well, sorry to divert your conversation, but for IU I’m going with:

21 wins

2nd round out in big boy tourney

6th in B1G

RP 2nd team all big ten

Hunter and TJD all freshman team

Top 15 defense

and a partridge in a pear tree 

I would love 21 wins and a second round in the big boy tourney after the last three years.  But I think there are too many questions at this point.  Hunter is the biggest.  I know some have said they hear he will play but I probably won’t buy it completely until I hear that he is really practicing.

23 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Are we STILL talking about Purdue???

well, sorry to divert your conversation, but for IU I’m going with:

21 wins

2nd round out in big boy tourney

6th in B1G

RP 2nd team all big ten

Hunter and TJD all freshman team

Top 15 defense

and a partridge in a pear tree 

Wanna lay money on those prognostications?

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Not really. Just sick of reading about Purdue. 

But humor me, which is the most outlandish?  

None of them really.  They could all happen.  

And as I started this thread I should have named it differently.  My thought was to talk about all of college basketball for the next season.  Just not us or the B1G....but nationally.  

Archived