Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

Have a cat that spends most of its time outside patrolling the perimeter.  It was a stray that now keeps all other strays away thank goodness.  Had a neighbor that let its pit mix run around untethered. Got in our yard one day and the cat attacked it and won. She got bit on the head and split her scalp open. Got a rabbit later that day. The thing is a beast. Get her fixed up and she looks even more intimidating.  Resized_Screenshot_20220613-215539_Gallery.thumb.jpeg.69f021a7924ee37133240b7e3657ac75.jpeg

It's the gray one.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We brought our newest guy home from training. We were following my wife's trainer who hauled him for us...

As we're going down 242, at a stoplight, our horse is looking at a motorcycle... I could read his mind...

"Iron horse, huh? Think you can outrun the real thing? Well... Do ya, punk?"

IMG_6851.thumb.jpg.865e08f26052006296a328aa4c3e2863.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We brought our newest guy home from training. We were following my wife's trainer who hauled him for us...

As we're going down 242, at a stoplight, our horse is looking at a motorcycle... I could read his mind...

"Iron horse, huh? Think you can outrun the real thing? Well... Do ya, punk?"

IMG_6851.thumb.jpg.865e08f26052006296a328aa4c3e2863.jpg

Reading a new book from Geraldine Brooks called “Horse.” It switches back and forth between a racehorse in the mid-late 19th century and present day. Really good book so far. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Reading a new book from Geraldine Brooks called “Horse.” It switches back and forth between a racehorse in the mid-late 19th century and present day. Really good book so far. 

Horses have an interesting dynamic...

We have a gelding (the white one, who we rescued... He'll be going to a new home soon) and a mare (middle) that get along pretty well. The mare is the alpha...

Our newest guy is a gelding as well (but I think he was gelded late, as he still has some stallion tendencies) but for now we're keeping them in separate pastures. If we didn't, there'd be trouble... We'll keep them like this probably until the white gelding gets his new home...

PXL_20221008_232346655.thumb.jpg.50b30621cfc69d3f8aa8fa259adba28f.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My wife convinced me to foster another rescue kitten. I was hesitant, but this little kitten is definitely winning me over. Our dachshund rescue Edie is obsessed with her and the kitten seems pretty into her as well. At night she sleeps on my chest just under my beard, so I can’t move. But that’s okay with me. Am going to be bummed when she is adopted out, but we can’t have another cat in our small apartment. 

57A8998D-25B1-4EA4-8B95-F69B5B58D0C4.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

One of our foster kittens was adopted Monday night and someone is coming to pick up the other one on Thursday. I think my wife has a signed up for two more kittens this weekend to foster.

The way she convinced me was saying, “If we foster two kittens, it really saves four. We take the two from the rescue organization and then they have room to rescue two more.” I’m a sucker for animals. 

• Like 4

On 8/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, IUFLA said:

Is he keeping it on his land? If not, then the boarding can be anywhere from $300-$900 per month...Pasture boarding is the cheapest. They simply stay out all the time and pretty much graze. Full board is where they put them in a stall at night, and feed them hay and grain...

If your friend has land, then of course that's no factor...Just gotta worry about feeding, bedding, and vet visits.

We turn ours out to graze during the day, and bring them into their stalls at night. I put about 3 flakes (There's about 9 flakes in each bale) of hay in each stall for overnight munching. Hay is about $11 bucks a bale here right now, delivered.

We also feed them grain 2 times a day. They go through a bag of grain a week. Grain is about $25 per bag. We change out the bedding in their stalls every other day (we muck them every day). Pine shavings are about $7 a bag and will cover 2 stalls.

Vet visits normally twice a year for shots, teeth floating, and sheath cleaning for the geldings. That's usually around $300-$500 per visit, depending on what they get done. Of course, it's cheaper to trailer them to the vet, than have the vet come to your house. 

And the farrier comes about every 6 weeks to either trim their hooves or put on new shoes if they wear them. You overlook that part, and the vet will be making extra visits...and he's not as cheap as the farrier...Costs about $50 per horse for trims, and $200 if they get 4 shoes.

Believe it or not, you're getting off cheap Mr IUFLA. I live in "horse country" in SC, and boarding (with feed) can run up to $@2-3k / month. No kidding. Farriers and Vets are in high demand and they know it, and charge accordingly. One of neighbor friends spends $4k+ / mo on her horse.

I thought boats and golf were expensive hobbies. Not even close.

Good thing I like to look at horses rather than own them. We live in an Equestrian neighborhood. 5-10 acre lots. I think we're only 1 of 2 property owners without horses. Everybody else has 1-10 of the critters.

Edited by DWB

On 11/16/2022 at 7:58 AM, Lostin76 said:

One of our foster kittens was adopted Monday night and someone is coming to pick up the other one on Thursday. I think my wife has a signed up for two more kittens this weekend to foster.

The way she convinced me was saying, “If we foster two kittens, it really saves four. We take the two from the rescue organization and then they have room to rescue two more.” I’m a sucker for animals. 

Be careful.  They can add up quickly. 

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

Believe it or not, you're getting off cheap Mr IUFLA. I live in "horse country" in SC, and boarding (with feed) can run up to $@2-3k / month. No kidding. Farriers and Vets are in high demand and they know it, and charge accordingly. One of neighbor friends spends $4k+ / mo on her horse.

I thought boats and golf were expensive hobbies. Not even close.

Good thing I like to look at horses rather than own them. We live in an Equestrian neighborhood. 5-10 acre lots. I think we're only 1 of 2 property owners without horses. Everybody else has 1-10 of the critters.

Whoa 🙂 

That's much higher than anyplace I know around here or when we boarded in Chicagoland...

I have a friend/co-worker whose wife owns a prestigious eventer barn in the Fort Worth area, and I know she charges $1,200 for full board. I tell my friend she finances his aviation habit 😁 

But, if people will pay it, that's the very basis of capitalism... 

Edited by IUFLA

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Whoa 🙂 

That's much higher than anyplace I know around here or when we boarded in Chicagoland...

Aiken, SC is THE horse capital of the US. People come here from all over the country to partake in competitions, shows, polo tournaments, steeplechases, the whole 9 yards. Aiken is only 8-10,000 people at most, and I bet we have close to 20 polo fields. They just build a multi-million $$$ steeplechase facility a mile from our house. Use it 2-3 times a year. But it's packed when they do use it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...