Weather events

Reacher

On 1/15/2024 at 10:33 AM, cthomas said:

I have grandkids who are constantly underdressed for the conditions. They have never experienced what it is like to be caught outside by some kind of problem unprepared. They don't understand layers or wearing gloves. It has to be a generational thing but ,growing up on a farm, it drives me crazy.

My teens don’t wear coats. Hats. Gloves. It’s beyond annoying. But. In their defense, since Covid, they have stopped using school lockers. Now they have to carry everything. Rather inconvenient imo. So I don’t blame them entirely for not wanting to haul around winter coats and accessories all day. 

7 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

My teens don’t wear coats. Hats. Gloves. It’s beyond annoying. But. In their defense, since Covid, they have stopped using school lockers. Now they have to carry everything. Rather inconvenient imo. So I don’t blame them entirely for not wanting to haul around winter coats and accessories all day. 

Neither one of my kids used lockers in high school even though they were available.  Their backpacks (daughter still in HS) are heavy as hell.  

My son has never worn jeans in his life.  5 degrees outside?  Shorts.  He will layer shirts, including ones with hoodies to help with the cold.  He has a pair of khakis for appropriate occasions.  And, if he's going to be outside in the super cold for an extended time, he'll wear sweatpants.  But no jeans since he was about 10.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Neither one of my kids used lockers in high school even though they were available.  Their backpacks (daughter still in HS) are heavy as hell.  

My son has never worn jeans in his life.  5 degrees outside?  Shorts.  He will layer shirts, including ones with hoodies to help with the cold.  He has a pair of khakis for appropriate occasions.  And, if he's going to be outside in the super cold for an extended time, he'll wear sweatpants.  But no jeans since he was about 10.

Jeans are about all I’ve worn since I was 10.:coffee:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting an early start on drought season this year. No rain or snow in over 2 weeks and rain chances over the next 10 days are minimal. A lot of yellow lawns out there right now. 

I usually don't mind having a few days of unseasonably warm weather in February, but this mild spell lasting over a week is messing with my internal clock and making me think it's already spring. Kind of wish we'd get some snow just to sort of normalize things. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My best friend lives in Yorkville, Il... Took this pic last night out his front door

IMG_20240228_1334052.thumb.jpg.d8ae3a87ba53b52f13e2231a20855e38.jpg

My sister in law and family lived in Yorkville for years before heading to Arizona. I know my friends in Huntley and Buffalo Grove were in the basement last night for a good 20 minutes. Was pretty scary stuff.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My best friend lives in Yorkville, Il... Took this pic last night out his front door

IMG_20240228_1334052.thumb.jpg.d8ae3a87ba53b52f13e2231a20855e38.jpg

My son said there was a tornado sighting in Sandwich just west of Yorkville. I got quite a lightning show and 10 seconds of pea sized hail.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was tracking the warnings from NWS Indy, and think I saw just about every size descriptor for hail. I counted tennis ball sized, baseball sized, golf ball sized, ping pong ball size, nickel sized, quarter sized, half dollar sized, and here at the house we had pea sized. Apparently these are standard comparisons, it's just rare that I ever see so many used in the same night. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Quite a day yesterday. Hadn't heard thunder since September, and my area was in a severe thunderstorm watch, a tornado watch, two severe thunderstorm warnings and two tornado warnings over the course of the day. 

7 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I was tracking the warnings from NWS Indy, and think I saw just about every size descriptor for hail. I counted tennis ball sized, baseball sized, golf ball sized, ping pong ball size, nickel sized, quarter sized, half dollar sized, and here at the house we had pea sized. Apparently these are standard comparisons, it's just rare that I ever see so many used in the same night. 

It got pretty weird during the IU game. Sirens going off all over Indy/Northside. Sounds like East of Muncie got the worst of things and I believe Southern Indiana had a few breakouts as well. 

Time of the  year I guess.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It got pretty weird during the IU game. Sirens going off all over Indy/Northside. Sounds like East of Muncie got the worst of things and I believe Southern Indiana had a few breakouts as well. 

Time of the  year I guess.

I missed any sirens, thankfully. I would have heard it too, as there's one immediately in our backyard! After that first line passed through, we were just south of the next group of cells that popped up, and north of the group that passed over Indy and parts south.

I used to love storms, but that was before I had to worry about things like property damage. After we had the siding blow off, that was enough for me. My car is parked outside at the moment, so I wanted no part of baseball sized hail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

With the line of storms passing through the midwest, hope everyone stays safe out there. 

Just starting our round 2 here in Indy. Was 70 this morning and by 9 tonight it's supposed be 40...just hoping we avoid the tornado talk.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

With the line of storms passing through the midwest, hope everyone stays safe out there. 

It was wild down here in the Evansville/Southwest Indiana area earlier this morning. Storm sirens started going off at around 5:30 a.m. Counties to the west of the city, Posey county, got hit. Semis and a box truck blown over on I-69, trees down. The most amazing one was in western Kentucky where a moblie home was blown over and a family of 5 was trapped and had 2 of 3 children were pinned. Fortunately they were all recovered without any injuries. A wind clocked at 100 mph was headed towards Santa Clause where I have a niece that lives there.

We are still under a severe weather threat until 7:00 a.m. Wednesday morning as we could be in for round 2 sometime this afternoon.

We had a tornado touch down a mile from our home this evening.  Thankfully we have no damage. I was one of those idiots who stands out in the driveway trying to see it. The most dangerous storm I faced though as Mrs. Keet yelling at me over the phone from the basement to get inside. 

• Haha 1