Weather events

Reacher

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We got home from our vacation this afternoon, and it's miserable here...we have one horse that has a hard time sweating, so we usually spray him twice a day...the other 2 came up while we were spraying him, so we did all 3...

Come on, October...

https://gizmodo.com/texas-electric-grid-is-straining-amid-heat-wave-ercot-1850557066

Looks like some nasty weather is headed into Indiana within an hour or so.  Strong winds and tornado possibility.  Be alert everyone.  It appears that the front will drop down through the southern part of the state.  Storms moving at 65 mph per Weather Channel.  Derecho possible.

Edited by jv1972iu

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Between you guys in Texas and what's going on in the Southwest just some unreal temps. Stay safe. Hope those horses are doing ok!

I spray them off a couple of times a day... They see me at the wash rack and they come trotting... 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I spray them off a couple of times a day... They see me at the wash rack and they come trotting... 

Hey where are you again? I just picked up Texas in my travel territory. I am in Houston right now, spent the last 2 days North of Dallas.

EFF'in hot and I've spent months in Tucson, in the summer!

Side note, I am not sure about horses, but back when I was raising Alpaca's, wetting them down can be bad as the water can steam and cook them. But that was probably due to the paca fleece holding in the heat. It can kill a paca unless you keep them soaked for a long long time.

10 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Hey where are you again? I just picked up Texas in my travel territory. I am in Houston right now, spent the last 2 days North of Dallas.

EFF'in hot and I've spent months in Tucson, in the summer!

Side note, I am not sure about horses, but back when I was raising Alpaca's, wetting them down can be bad as the water can steam and cook them. But that was probably due to the paca fleece holding in the heat. It can kill a paca unless you keep them soaked for a long long time.

I live about 25 miles NNE of Houston in Splendora... Yes, it's effin' hot and will be for a while...

I scrape most of the water off of the horses (they have a special tool for that). You can't just wet them and forget about it... Like you say, they'll steam... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Anyone else get a rude awakening from last night's storms? Finally got slammed after a week's worth of storm cells skipping us/fizzling out. 

Everything that was missing us in May and June and early July has now been hitting us pretty hard. This week alone between my yard and aunt's up the road we have had 7 very large branches/trees come down on north side of Indy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Everything that was missing us in May and June and early July has now been hitting us pretty hard. This week alone between my yard and aunt's up the road we have had 7 very large branches/trees come down on north side of Indy.

I live in the same area and lost a part of my cherry tree last night. Just finished cleaning it up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's been weird where I live. In June everything was going south of us, and in July it feels like everything has been going north. No damage here last night, although we did get a severe thunderstorm warning (the typical "60 mph winds" that are probably more like 40 mph). NWS crews are looking at Portland and the northwest side of Fort Wayne for possible tornado damage. 

Also, I want to give credit to weather forecasters, who hear all kinds of insults when they're wrong but crickets when they're right. The forecasts this week were spot on, and July/August storm systems are hard to predict because the jet stream is all over the place. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been a rough week for the NWS when it comes to tornado warnings. Last weekend, there was a spotter a couple counties away from me who reported a cone-shaped funnel almost reaching the ground, with a strong signature on radar, and no warning was ever issued. Then this afternoon, this happened near Crawfordsville and somehow slipped through the cracks. 

366293121_766528318814308_5662777593673789519_n.jpg

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

The fires on Maui are burning down the main street of Lahaina.  Evacuations happening...people jumping into the ocean to avoid flames...911 down...big trouble.  Maui Classic takes another hit??

36 dead and counting.  More crazy extreme weather from the changing climate.  

Edited by jv1972iu