Weather events

Reacher

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Looking like a nasty front moving through, I know we have a tornado watch in effect until 8PM.

How is everyone faring?

Off and on bad winds in Indy. Another round getting ready to get fired up with potential for really bad stuff around 3pm. Going to see the movie Air today at 230 so hopefully power doesn't go out. Stay safe everyone!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Looking like a nasty front moving through, I know we have a tornado watch in effect until 8PM.

How is everyone faring?

Nothing but rain and wind so far. Looking like the outbreak that was predicted will be a bust. 

School officials jumped the gun early this morning and cancelled school. I bet they feel pretty foolish now. 

• Like 2

My trusted weather source had a post last night complaining about groups who are more interested in scaring people that forecasting weather. I'm wondering if this is the post it was referring to, and if this is what caused school administrators to freak out and cancel everything today:

339438789_873042377129199_1267585367536988692_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

My trusted weather source had a post last night complaining about groups who are more interested in scaring people that forecasting weather. I'm wondering if this is the post it was referring to, and if this is what caused school administrators to freak out and cancel everything today:

339438789_873042377129199_1267585367536988692_n.jpg

As I read this the radio out of Defiance OH issued a severe thunderstorm warning with the potential of tornadoes 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not really weather but it's up in the sky so I'll post it here. Anyone else here that loud boom last night in Central Indiana or elsewhere? We were having dinner in Carmel and heard the noise that you just can't describe. Meteor or Meteorite.....Sonic Boom.

Pretty crazy stuff. I didn't see the flash but just heard the boom.

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/did-you-hear-a-boom-from-the-central-indiana-sky/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not really weather but it's up in the sky so I'll post it here. Anyone else here that loud boom last night in Central Indiana or elsewhere? We were having dinner in Carmel and heard the noise that you just can't describe. Meteor or Meteorite.....Sonic Boom.

Pretty crazy stuff. I didn't see the flash but just heard the boom.

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/did-you-hear-a-boom-from-the-central-indiana-sky/

If it was around 5pm it was my 1.5 year old pushing over the bar stools in the kitchen according to my wife.  Turns out though, the meteor came through around 830.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

EF-1 Tornado hit New Albany this morning, including causing significant tree damage and at least some minor structural damage on the Indiana University Southeast campus.  From what I've seen, the tree loss will really change the look of the campus.  Some nice, old, trees that provided a lot of shade were lost.  

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

EF-1 Tornado hit New Albany this morning, including causing significant tree damage and at least some minor structural damage on the Indiana University Southeast campus.  From what I've seen, the tree loss will really change the look of the campus.  Some nice, old, trees that provided a lot of shade were lost.  

Geez.  My parents are a straight shot slightly south west from there in Georgetown.  We have experienced some crazy low clouds and storms up there.  I'm guessing as they roll over the Knobs,  that has some sort of effect on those fronts.  You were probably about in high school that year it rolled through Sellersburg and down the Knobs.  What year was that latest 80s, early 90s?   

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

My annual drought count is back: 11 days since we last had rain, 18 days since we last heard thunder. Minimal chances of thunderstorms for the next week. The weather people I follow are concerned it may not rain again until the second week of June. 

I am very concerned.  I got 65 acres of soybeans here at the house that need a drink.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

I am very concerned.  I got 65 acres of soybeans here at the house that need a drink.

Better hope one of these scattered thunderstorms finds you over the next couple days. Looks like best chance for me is 40%. Afraid we might be in for a hot and dry summer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The Eagle has landed: a brief thunderstorm moved through this afternoon. First rain in 15 days and first thunder in 22 days. No rain predicted for another week at least. 

Same. Just got off the water and we felt like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank. Just enough of a downpour to move most of the dust around.