Weather events

Reacher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Single digit temps or multiple inches of snow.  Which does everyone hate worse?

If heavy snow is followed by sunny skies and temps above 25, I don't mind it that much.

Single digit temps on the other hand?  Can....not......tolerate.  I cant fathom how people in the upper midwest deal with it on a regular basis each winter.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If heavy snow is followed by sunny skies and temps above 25, I don't mind it that much.

Single digit temps on the other hand?  Can....not......tolerate.  I cant fathom how people in the upper midwest deal with it on a regular basis each winter.

Same here...when I lived in Chicagoland, the snow didn't bother me as much as freezing temps...

It's supposed to be in the 20s here later this week, and I'm wrapping pipes and applying heat tape as we speak...

I was in Greenland (Sondestrom AB...30 miles inside the Artic Circle) for a year, and the lowest I saw it was -45...But once it passed -20, there was no real difference...Ice cream headache as soon as you walked outside...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I just don't like snow anymore. I'd rather be as cold as possible as long as I can still see the grass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

After moving from Georgia back to Michigan, went with family to the Toledo Zoo ‘Lights before Christmas’ Everyone was talking about ‘cold’ as it was low twenties with serious wind! I was reminded of an article I read. The mayor of the northern most city in Norway said ‘there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes!’

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, TheWatShot said:

This actually happens? Clearly not where I live. 

Yeah.  Down in Southern Indiana, about half of our heaviest snows seem to happen with moisture coming in from the South versus an Arctic blast from the North.  

We may get 3-4 inches from a front dipping down from the north, but once we get into the 6+ inches, we're usually, but not always, talking about it coming from the south.

Love the snow, and love the cold. Will get on my cross country skis if we get any accumulation. The toboggan run at Pokagon State Park is a great time as well.

Supposedly there is a luge run up near Grand Rapids. My granddaughter and her husband will be moving there within the next few months, and have been advised to add this to my bucket list.

The lake is starting to freeze, and if I can get out there while the ice is smooth, I'll put my skates on.

I do draw the line though. Sorry @Rico, but ice fishing is just an excuse to get away from the wife and drink beer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Love the snow, and love the cold. Will get on my cross country skis if we get any accumulation. The toboggan run at Pokagon State Park is a great time as well.

Supposedly there is a luge run up near Grand Rapids. My granddaughter and her husband will be moving there within the next few months, and have been advised to add this to my bucket list.

The lake is starting to freeze, and if I can get out there while the ice is smooth, I'll put my skates on.

I do draw the line though. Sorry @Rico, but ice fishing is just an excuse to get away from the wife and drink beer.

I remember living on Crooked Lake not far from you one year. A bunch of friends came out and we went skating in the dark. Was all good time’s until one guy tripped over an ice fishing hole. 
Also read an article about the Muskegon luge course, sounds like good times!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I remember living on Crooked Lake not far from you one year. A bunch of friends came out and we went skating in the dark. Was all good time’s until one guy tripped over an ice fishing hole. 
Also read an article about the Muskegon luge course, sounds like good times!

I was X-country skiing on our lake a few years back and was as far away from my house as I could be. Planted my pole and it went through a fishing hole and snapped in half. Skiing with one pole is no fun 🤩 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was X-country skiing on our lake a few years back and was as far away from my house as I could be. Planted my pole and it went through a fishing hole and snapped in half. Skiing with one pole is no fun 🤩 

My most memorable X country skiing event was also one of the most surreal  moments of my life. My brother and SIL took me X country skiing to Donner Pass memorial state park in CA. It was twilight and I was feeling like their spirits were around me. Not going back!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  Down in Southern Indiana, about half of our heaviest snows seem to happen with moisture coming in from the South versus an Arctic blast from the North.  

We may get 3-4 inches from a front dipping down from the north, but once we get into the 6+ inches, we're usually, but not always, talking about it coming from the south.

Southern Indiana always seems to be noticeably warmer than the northern half of the state. I know that storms coming from the south usually bring heavier snow due to pulling Gulf moisture, but it seems like every single storm we get here, regardless of where it came from, is followed by brutal, punishing cold. 

Don't even get me started on those days in the spring when southern Indiana is getting severe weather and it's practically cold enough to snow up here. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Southern Indiana always seems to be noticeably warmer than the northern half of the state. I know that storms coming from the south usually bring heavier snow due to pulling Gulf moisture, but it seems like every single storm we get here, regardless of where it came from, is followed by brutal, punishing cold. 

Don't even get me started on those days in the spring when southern Indiana is getting severe weather and it's practically cold enough to snow up here. 

I can relate. I used to live and work in Cedar Rapids, IA. My company also had an office in Louisville. In March we still had snow on the ground. We'd do a skype call with the LVille office and they'd all be wearing golf shirts.