Weather events

Reacher

Seems about right to fire this one up with what's on tap today and into next week. Glad we are rain side of things here in Indy. My family and friends up in Chicago/Northern Illinois and Wisconsin are getting pummeled with snow today.

Things look bad starting Saturday for us and record cold come Monday.

@IUFLA sounds like you guys might be in store for some record cold next week. Get those horses inside!

So far not too bad in Chicagoland. Nov and Dec saw 2 one inch snowfalls. Maybe 2" last weekend. 3-4"? today. This round is very wet and heavy though. Heart attack snow for sure. This weekend looks to be when winter finally arrives. Another (bigger?- can never be too certain but they are saying 6-10" is possible) snow followed be several days with highs in the single digits. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems about right to fire this one up with what's on tap today and into next week. Glad we are rain side of things here in Indy. My family and friends up in Chicago/Northern Illinois and Wisconsin are getting pummeled with snow today.

Things look bad starting Saturday for us and record cold come Monday.

@IUFLA sounds like you guys might be in store for some record cold next week. Get those horses inside!

Yesterday started at 37 degrees, rained like hell, got up to 73 degrees in the afternoon, and back to 35 last night... Crazy

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yesterday started at 37 degrees, rained like hell, got up to 73 degrees in the afternoon, and back to 35 last night... Crazy

Worried about what's coming Monday. Have a friend in your neck of the woods and the text was I moved from Chicago to not worry about my plants and animals outside.

Failure at work today.  Back to back fire alarm runs turn out to be water flow from busted pipes(those residents have it way worse than me).   Can't get the engine into pump gear.  Something doesn't seem right.  Reset everything.  Watching my air gauge go down down down.  Compressor must have froze up.  Drop the tank, drain every drain.  Wait almost 2 hours for the on call mechanic.  This is all after staging on scene.  He says, gotta tow it to the shops.  Oil is now spilling all over the ground as well.  One engine wrecked on the way to the same run.  Another engine was getting pulled out of a ditch.  Our ladder guys came to pick us up.  Just finished breakfast and fixing to head to the shops.  It could be worse.  Not complaining, just saying, the cold sucks.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

One engine wrecked on the way to the same run.  Another engine was getting pulled out of a ditch. 

This reminded me of a conversation with a friend of mine that was a Deputy at the time. He said he would tell his team ‘you can’t help anyone if you don’t make it there, slow down!’

All respect for the work you and your team do and all first responders!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

This reminded me of a conversation with a friend of mine that was a Deputy at the time. He said he would tell his team ‘you can’t help anyone if you don’t make it there, slow down!’

All respect for the work you and your team do and all first responders!!

For sure.  So the rest of the story.  We just got back from the shops with a replacement engine.  Total fiasco.   First 2 reserves didn't work.  I just ate hot chicken chili, hot chicken casserole of some sort.  Hot coffee.  Dry socks and shoes.  We are back in action.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have grandkids who are constantly underdressed for the conditions. They have never experienced what it is like to be caught outside by some kind of problem unprepared. They don't understand layers or wearing gloves. It has to be a generational thing but ,growing up on a farm, it drives me crazy.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I have grandkids who are constantly underdressed for the conditions. They have never experienced what it is like to be caught outside by some kind of problem unprepared. They don't understand layers or wearing gloves. It has to be a generational thing but ,growing up on a farm, it drives me crazy.

I know what you mean.... Kids are better able to withstand cold vs adults but whatever happened to the old Boy Scout motto- Be Prepared? At least have some gear in your car in case you need it. 

• Like 3