The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I was friends with Jerry's cousin Tom when I lived in Franklin. We had alot of convsations about Jerry playing at Purdue instead of Indiana. He could of been  a Hoosier very easily.

Yep. I went to school with Jerry. Really good guy. Never a big head or anything like that. And he was a helluva high school QB too.

He really wanted to go to IU but RMK had other players he was waiting for and Jerry finally signed with the Boilers.

I believe RMK has said that it was one of his biggest recruiting mistakes.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

As long as Cal is coaching in the NCAA, those are the type of players he will continue to attract. I mean, really, he has to be the most transparent D-1 coach of all time.

His pitch,....."Come to UK, then you can be FAST-TRACKED to the NBA and $$$$ quicker than any other school!....Look at all the NBA players I've produced!!" 

Those type of players have lost site of what it means to play for and represent a college university with honor and selflessness. Those type of players are just as transparent as Cal....Aa far as I'm concerned, he can have every single one of them.....

90% of the players he's "produced" would have been in the NBA if my dog was their college head coach.

On the subject of KenPom.  Yes, his formula at the beginning of the year factors in last season.  That said, the impact  diminishes with each and every game played this season.  So, while it does not totally go away until January of this season, the impact from last year at this point is minimal.  It's not like we're going to wake up on January 1st and see Purdue drop from 10th to 45th or IU jump from 34th to 12th.  For some reason, his formula is infatuated with Purdue this season, much the way it traditionally liked Wisconsin more than it seemed warranted.  

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Your estimate is low.  I can't think of a single player who wasn't projected to the NBA, get drafted under Cal's "development".

I get what you are saying but some guys out perform their rank. Shia Gilgous Alexander wasn’t a 5* and was a lottery pick. Not to argue because I get your point but let’s not talk in absolutes.

Might have been said but, UVA losing by double digits at home to South Carolina, along with both Purdue's 2nd B1G game the other night and the Butler game Saturday revealed  the Boilermakers are maybe less special than their fans perhaps started to believe after they smacked Virginia in the Challenge.

UVA is NOT even a legit top 15 team after this IMO.. 2 not so good losses for the Cavs on the season now seems like they overshadow their wins .

For all of the talk about IU's 11 wins lacking much quality and the blowout loss at Wiscy they still handled a couple of teams away from home that are not very far separated from South Carolina. This SC win factored in hurts my perception of all 3 of their(PUke, SC and UVA's) respective NCAAT resumes to a degree which isn't entirely fair to South Carolina having added the ranked road win.UVA coming higher than 15 - 17 would surprise me a little .

Speaking of Carolinas, UNC dropping that game to Wofford in that 4 game losing streak that just ended had already arguably devalued UVA's win over the Heels..Personally curious how much more does it take before the polls and voting reflect a  bit more reality.

Butler and Dayton come to mind .Both have looked just as good if not  better to the eye as/than any team I've named here.

In regards to that UVA game yesterday, Jay Bilas made an interesting comment on the Cavs.  And I paraphrase, "You can't depend on your pitcher to throw a shutout every game."  That is to say that your offense has to put up numbers.  Viginia has no offensive firepower and their defense got exposed by the Gamecocks.  USCe pushed the ball up the court, attacked the rim, and when they could kicked it out(sound familiar) for an open jumper.  Virginia let USCe shoot  27-49 from the floor.  The only thing the Cavs might have going for them this year is that it appears to be a week ACC.

4 hours ago, rico said:

In regards to that UVA game yesterday, Jay Bilas made an interesting comment on the Cavs.  And I paraphrase, "You can't depend on your pitcher to throw a shutout every game."  That is to say that your offense has to put up numbers.  Viginia has no offensive firepower and their defense got exposed by the Gamecocks.  USCe pushed the ball up the court, attacked the rim, and when they could kicked it out(sound familiar) for an open jumper.  Virginia let USCe shoot  27-49 from the floor.  The only thing the Cavs might have going for them this year is that it appears to be a week ACC.

They just aren't a very good team honestly. They have no scoring threat. Their point guard Clark is a HUGE drop off from what they had last year. He almost had a double double yesterday....in TURNOVERS! Kid is 5'9 yet some how plays SMALLER than that! I can't see any way possible this team is ranked by the end of the year.

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

I get what you are saying but some guys out perform their rank. Shia Gilgous Alexander wasn’t a 5* and was a lottery pick. Not to argue because I get your point but let’s not talk in absolutes.

Funny...I swear I saw him play and play well in the McDonald's game...?

Archived