Ohio State post-game thread

Reacher

34 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I feel responsible to at least say that this loss had nothing to do with DG’s lack of whatever.  Not a fan at all, but for this game I have no complaints on him. Pathetic effort on the defensive boards and the inability to make layups by this team is just unbelievable. Robbie Hummel nailed it. Can’t expect CAM to have an answer when we miss the number of layups and open shots that we do. If anything, we can be mad at CAM for not having a shooter three years in. 

Im a huge Dg critic and he did have two turnovers and no assists but I tend to agree with you this game 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

We shot 58.3% from 3 and we only shot 12 all game.  Also, our best player in the post only got 6 shots.  One off a deflection, and I think 3 in the 2nd half were from offensive rebounds.  That means we got him 2 shots in the flow of the offense.  Yikes.

I don't know what we want to call our offensive system, but it isn't working.  If we're shooting above 50% from 3, we should put up 25+.  If not, TJD should get 15+ shots.  To have 12 threes and TJD get 6 shots is a disaster.

We also give up open 3 after open 3.  I have zero confidence this is a system built to work in 2020.

Way too soon to question the system 3 years is not nearly enough time for any of us to make that statement,  no way can we expect a system to work with someone else's players. That why I am following Dayton,  cant give Grant credit for it and since his guys are not all there yet in all honesty that is CAM'S team so we can take solace in knowing that Dayton is pretty good.  🙄 like our guys just don't want to work hard enough to find the sarcasm emoji. If we all want to bury our collective heads in the sand and pretend all is well that's fine. I bury mind so I dont have to watch these away games or smell the stench of our play. Yes I am negative. Thankful I spent my time working on a plumbing issue under the house

23 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I feel responsible to at least say that this loss had nothing to do with DG’s lack of whatever.

For this game, I tend to generally agree with this. However, DG has a tendency to come in, make a single boneheaded play (hello, one handed skip pass to DeRon's feet, I'm looking at you), which negatively alters any flow/momentum that we were building. And it always seems to happen at critical junctures of the game that coincides with prolonged scoring droughts. Sure he hits some shots to keep us in some games, and occasionally has a great offensive game, but it's his unwillingness to play like an experienced, level-headed senior that makes good decisions that kill us. 

That said, missing so many looks right at the rim and getting killed on the offensive glass is on everyone else today. I guess I just do not enjoy watching trash basketball. 

*EDIT: the quote wasn't actually from IU/Butler/Notre Dame, but something he was responding to*

1 minute ago, BEKA said:

For this game, I tend to generally agree with this. However, DG has a tendency to come in, make a single boneheaded play (hello, one handed skip pass to DeRon's feet, I'm looking at you), which negatively alters any flow/momentum that we were building. And it always seems to happen at critical junctures of the game that coincides with prolonged scoring droughts. Sure he hits some shots to keep us in some games, and occasionally has a great offensive game, but it's his unwillingness to play like an experienced, level-headed senior that makes good decisions that kill us. 

That said, missing so many looks right at the rim and getting killed on the offensive glass is on everyone else today. I guess I just do not enjoy watching trash basketball. 

Exactly. In these road games, he's generally coming in when we are down, and is just adding more fuel to the fire. In addition to that terrible pass to DD, he also had what looked like an easy shot in the lane and instead threw the ball away trying to pass. It's tough for him, because he has to immediately play well or he's going to get pulled, but we've all seen the same show over and over.

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Way too soon to question the system 3 years is not nearly enough time for any of us to make that statement,  no way can we expect a system to work with someone else's players. That why I am following Dayton,  cant give Grant credit for it and since his guys are not all there yet in all honesty that is CAM'S team so we can take solace in knowing that Dayton is pretty good.  🙄 like our guys just don't want to work hard enough to find the sarcasm emoji. If we all want to bury our collective heads in the sand and pretend all is well that's fine. I bury mind so I dont have to watch these away games or smell the stench of our play. Yes I am negative. Thankful I spent my time working on a plumbing issue under the house

Yeah come on. Need at least 9 years to know a system is flawed. 

System is not flawed IMHO.  Still getting to the FT line. Just need guys that can complete the most basic of all basketball plays.  Hitting the free throws.  Today, against OSU... oh.... those bunnies. Another basic basketball play.  After a while. I lost count of the bunnies IU blew. 

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not taking anything away from Dayton, but they are not in the B1G......

16 minutes ago, BEKA said:

*EDIT: the quote wasn't actually from IU/Butler/Notre Dame, but something he was responding to*

And I agree with your sentiment I took a picture of the game clock to remind me of when that exact play occurred because you are 100% correct it was a critical juncture that went from us getting the game down to five -seven point deficit with an easy bucket for Davis to them getting the ball and piling on 

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Not taking anything away from Dayton, but they are not in the B1G......

Haven't watched Dayton this year, so question for anyone who may follow them. Anthony Grant was 117-85 at Alabama and was fired end of year 6.  First two years at Dayton was 35-29. This year 19-2. Has he changed his system or is Obi Toppin just that dominant?

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

System is not flawed IMHO.  Still getting to the FT line. Just need guys that can complete the most basic of all basketball plays.  Hitting the free throws.  Today, against OSU... oh.... those bunnies. Another basic basketball play.  After a while. I lost count of the bunnies IU blew. 

It may be the system and Archie it may not be.  The point is that we’re in year 3 and he’s a 100% responsible for this roster.  He’s had more than enough time to fix things and next year likely won’t be any better.  It will be a lot worse if Trayce bolts.

Ive been reading the various message boards and Twitter and the vast majority of the fan base has checked out and wants Archie gone.  I don’t see how he recovers at this point.

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Ive been reading the various message boards and Twitter and the vast majority of the fan base has checked out and wants Archie gone.  I don’t see how he recovers at this point.

That... to me is a shame.  Currently, despite the recent performances, IU is still in the hunt for a NCAAT bid.  And that's not me talking. But rather, more that one bracket gurus.

And then.  And then.  Oh I know, that IU has never won the B1G championship.  However, considering how the B1G season has gone so far, Indy is as close to home court advantage as IU can ask for.

43 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It may be the system and Archie it may not be.  The point is that we’re in year 3 and he’s a 100% responsible for this roster.  He’s had more than enough time to fix things and next year likely won’t be any better.  It will be a lot worse if Trayce bolts.

I gentlemen in his mid 70's life long IU fan said he just cant watch this team play. He is not blaming CAM but just told me he quoting RMK would rather watch 2 frogs humping. I cleaned up a lot.of language.  I think a lot of apathy setting in

For me IU is not.must see TV anymore each year my apathy grows and it does sadden mem

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I gentlemen in his mid 70's life long IU fan said he just cant watch this team play. He is not blaming CAM but just told me he quoting RMK would rather watch 2 frogs humping. I cleaned up a lot.of language.  I think a lot of apathy setting in

For me IU is not.must see TV anymore each year my apathy grows and it does sadden mem

I DVR the game today.  It will get deleted without me watching.  I had a feeling we were going to lose and I had some other commitments anyway.  We are going to end up around .500 in the BIG by my estimation, which will get us in the tournament.  I feel we will probably have a similar finish next year as well.  That is where the question will be, is that good enough in the first four years?

I think we are a squeak into the tournament team this year and a bubble type of team next (I don't feel our Miller's recruiting adequately addressed this team's weakness).  We really need to make some hay with that 2021 class.

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That... to me is a shame.  Currently, despite the recent performances, IU is still in the hunt for a NCAAT bid.  And that's not me talking. But rather, more that one bracket gurus.

And then.  And then.  Oh I know, that IU has never won the B1G championship.  However, considering how the B1G season has gone so far, Indy is as close to home court advantage as IU can ask for.

For me the fact that getting in by the skin of our teeth is considered  a success.  At this point even the thought of being a 1 seems like the farthest thing imaginable 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Me too! I haven't watched the last two games and I don't feel bad about it one bit. I am doing a complete bathroom makeover so today I was tearing out a couple of walls and laminate flooring. Tomorrow I get up in the attic to remove some blown-in fiberglass insulation and run some wiring for recessed lighting and a new light/bath fan combination.  

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

For me the fact that getting in by the skin of our teeth is considered  a success.  At this point even the thought of being a 1 seems like the farthest thing imaginable 

I would not consider getting in by winning the B1G Tournament would be considered getting in by the skin of our teeth. Nor would I feel that way, by winning all the way to the championship game.  The way this season has gone for the entire B1G, I could see that happening.  Let's not forget we are on a three game roll against Michigan State... a team many early on had winning it all.

Decided to catch the game at Buffalo Wild Wings today so at least I'd have some decent grub and company rather than feeling like my entire 2 hours was wasted. 😎🍻

Another frustrating game to watch. Quickly I got the sense of 'here we go again'. All those missed looks inside on a day when we actually shot well from the 3 point and FT lines. Gave up too many rebounds and too many layups.

I kind of resigned myself to the game being a loss beforehand. Sweeping our remaining home schedule is critical. Hoping we are up to the task!

Archived