2023 NFL Discussion

rico

I love this post on Colts.com about drafting a QB in the 1st round.  This is why I say you just don't pick a QB because you need one.  I always want them to pick the BPA especially early in the draft.

I see many of the draft "experts" talk about what the Colts will do in the draft.

The draft process on the QB position, even with all the improved scouting techniques is a highly flawed .

If you look at history some interesting facts come out. Drafting a QB in the first round is a high risk endeavor 

In the past 9 Years 20 QBs have been drafted in the first round.  I wanted to come up with some metrics to see the % that have worked out with the team that they drafted them

I am "measuring" the results with the simple question,

I see many of the draft "experts" talk about what the Colts will do in the draft.

The draft process on the QB position, even with all the improved scouting techniques is a highly flawed .

If you look at history some interesting facts come out. Drafting a QB in the first round is a high risk endeavor 

In the past 9 Years 20 QBs have been drafted in the first round.  I wanted to come up with some metrics to see the % that have worked out with the team that they drafted them

I am "measuring" the results with the simple question,

Would the NFL team make the same draft decision, at their position in that years draft, in hindsight - Its a YES/NO decision

For the ones that are still TBD (last few years) I counted these as YES. The selection of Goff as a "NO" is not that he is a horrible QB, but a simple question.... If you could do the pick again would you take Goff at number 1 overall.....  my guess is the Rams would have gone another way

2012 Draft Round 1

1st Andrew Luck - YES

2nd Robert Griffin - NO

8th Ryan Tannehil - NO

22nd Brandon Wheedon - NO

2013 Draft Round 1

16th EJ Manuel - NO

2014 Draft Round 1

3rd Pick Blake Bortles - NO

22nd Johnny Manziel - NO

2015 Draft Round 1

1st - Jameis Winston - NO

2nd Marcus Marriota  - NO

2016 Draft Round 1

1st Jared Goff - NO

2nd Carson Wentz - YES

22nd Paxton Lynch - NO

2017 Draft Round 1

2nd Mitch Trubiski - NO

10th Pat Mahomes - YES

12th Deshaun Watsun - YES

2018 Draft Round 1

1st Baker Mayfield - YES

3rd Sam Darnold - NO

7th Josh Allen - YES

10th Josh Rosen - NO

32nd Lamar Jackson - YES

With this data, drafting a QB in the first round is a 30% hit rate

The folks that want to give up 2 or 3 first round picks to move up to get Fields or Wilson may want to think deeper on this

From my perspective, and looking at the analytics it would appear that drafting the best BPA OL, DL , CB, or even WR,  available at 21 is the safest approach

And going with an extremely low risk/ low cost FA (Winston) or if the deal is decent, offering a trade to get Matthew Stafford. (Stafford route is my first choice), but I wouldnt want to  get fleeced in the trade.

If the right LT isnt there at 21, there are a few FA OTs that we could pick up

Let me know your thoughts...........

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

From the Colts board, it appears Elberflus will be back, according to them. Houston did NOT request a second interview for DC Elberflus. Not saying that he is not being considered anymore, but starting to question Houston’s decision making. Wondering if Houston is trying to get an offensive minded coach to persuade Watson staying with the Texans.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

From the Colts board, it appears Elberflus will be back, according to them. Houston did NOT request a second interview for DC Elberflus. Not saying that he is not being considered anymore, but starting to question Houston’s decision making. Wondering if Houston is trying to get an offensive minded coach to persuade Watson staying with the Texans.

I think they will hire Bienemy from KC

Brady threw 3 INTs, competed 55% of his passes and threw for under 300. He was not good yesterday. 

Had some good moments in the first half, but by far was a subpar performance by him.  

GB was just god awful. OL was just exposed.. Jones fumble, 3 4Q possessions that resulted in 3 points,  and the score before the half were the determining factors in that game.  

• Like 2

Just general comments.

1) Buffalo gets up 9-0 and they don't make Mahomes test the bum toe? Seems to me I'd like to see how injured he is and force him to move a bit.

2) Same game. Give Kelce a 10-12 yard cushion? Kelce could have had 20 catches.

3) Thought Allen made the mistake every young QB makes when nervous or pressured. They run right. Chiefs deserve an atta boy basically cutting the field in half.

4) Packers didn't take advantage of turnovers. 6 points. 

5) I think we saw yesterday the first time Packers really missed Bakhtiari. 

6) Won't dive much into the final decisions for Packers. No one can ever convince me taking 3 was the right call.

7) Rodgers presser sounded like a guy who was shocked it wasn't 4 down territory...and also sounded like it's 50/50 on his return. Packers are $27M over the cap and have 6 free agents. Tough decisions coming for them.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just general comments.

1) Buffalo gets up 9-0 and they don't make Mahomes test the bum toe? Seems to me I'd like to see how injured he is and force him to move a bit.

3) Thought Allen made the mistake every young QB makes when nervous or pressured. They run right. Chiefs deserve an atta boy basically cutting the field in half.

6) Won't dive much into the final decisions for Packers. No one can ever convince me taking 3 was the right call.

7) Rodgers presser sounded like a guy who was shocked it wasn't 4 down territory...and also sounded like it's 50/50 on his return. Packers are $27M over the cap and have 6 free agents. Tough decisions coming for them.

I heard Rodger’s contract is pretty hefty, can’t leave the Packers next year if he wanted too since it runs through 2023

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just general comments.

5 was evident 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Brady threw 3 INTs, competed 55% of his passes and threw for under 300. He was not good yesterday. 

Had some good moments in the first half, but by far was a subpar performance by him.  

GB was just god awful. OL was just exposed.. Jones fumble, 3 4Q possessions that resulted in 3 points,  and the score before the half were the determining factors in that game.  

And I am in mourning today. The Pack blew it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I heard Rodger’s contract is pretty hefty, can’t leave the Packers next year if he wanted too since it runs through 2023

I don't know anything about player's contracts and what they can and can't do. I'm trying to wrap my simple mind around a veteran player like Rogers. He knows he has plenty of gas in the tank, but not much time left to get to the Super Bowl. He is obviously thinking, "Which team has the best tools with potentially the quickest, most efficient trip to a Super Bowl?" The Colts have to be one of the top teams that check all the boxes. Even though his contract says he is owed a certain amount of money, maybe Rogers would take less if he felt strongly enough about a team? I know I may be way off, but just thinking out loud. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

So I take it you're picking KC to win?  Something tells me Brady will pull it off.  KC will have its worse game of the season.  You can almost guarantee it.