2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Should have added definitely a down the road 1.....if I'm the Colts this type of guy doesn't exist in this draft or more than likely the next. Trade whatever necessary to get him so you can try and compete in the AFC.

I agree but a team like the Jets have two 1st rounders both in the top ten so they would have way more to offer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The former gm on espn this morning suggested that Carolina may be interested in him and Garrapalo.  

That would set precedent wouldn't it? Holy cow that would be crazy to trade for both. Deebo went to SC for college... wasn't even used well in college.

I think he is soft for not wanting to be used in every way possible, but that is just my opinion. He certainly doesn't play soft. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

That would set precedent wouldn't it? Holy cow that would be crazy to trade for both. Deebo went to SC for college... wasn't even used well in college.

I think he is soft for not wanting to be used in every way possible, but that is just my opinion. He certainly doesn't play soft. 

Average career of an NFL RB has to be a lot shorter than for a WR. 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Average career of an NFL RB has to be a lot shorter than for a WR. 

Then he shouldn't get big money. He isn't elite as only a WR. He's very good.  But not elite. 

If he can't agree to being used the best way possible for his team to succeed... I don't have a lot for him.  

Ok...one of you guys who know how to share Twitter on here go find Sam Ehlinger's response to Zak Keefer (Indy Star Reporter) question today.

I know it's their craft and they should know that but still.....that was some Deshaun Watson stuff from a few years ago. 

Here's my idea of a play call. Hey you there with 4.2 speed.....go deep and I'm going to throw this thing as far as I can. Go catch it.  

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok...one of you guys who know how to share Twitter on here go find Sam Ehlinger's response to Zak Keefer (Indy Star Reporter) question today.

I know it's their craft and they should know that but still.....that was some Deshaun Watson stuff from a few years ago. 

Here's my idea of a play call. Hey you there with 4.2 speed.....go deep and I'm going to throw this thing as far as I can. Go catch it.  

This one? 

Did you see Orvloskys reply?

There is nothing in sport as complex as making a play in football "work." 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This one? 

Did you see Orvloskys reply?

There is nothing in sport as complex as making a play in football "work." 

Thanks! Maybe I just love football....or I love seeing people who know their craft regardless of job and the intellect that goes behind it. That answer to me is just awesome as well as Orlovsky's....processing all of that before Aaron Donald tries to separate you from your kidney. 

Just awesome stuff to me. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! Maybe I just love football....or I love seeing people who know their craft regardless of job and the intellect that goes behind it. That answer to me is just awesome as well as Orlovsky's....processing all of that before Aaron Donald tries to separate you from your kidney. 

Just awesome stuff to me. 

I just picked up my playbook for the HS I coach at... 

When you throw out the definitions, policies, and any other "gunk"... 

You're sitting with probably 100 pages front and back of "information" between offense and defense.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I just picked up my playbook for the HS I coach at... 

When you throw out the definitions, policies, and any other "gunk"... 

You're sitting with probably 100 pages front and back of "information" between offense and defense.  

Good friend from my IU days....her son is headed to Ball St next year. Just got his first playbook for his Ipad. Pretty intense....and sometimes I wonder if the paralysis of analysis is in play but other times I'm like it can't be. Certain positions (QB) have to see 5-6 things (probably more) in that 2 second window just to move the chains 10 yards. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good friend from my IU days....her son is headed to Ball St next year. Just got his first playbook for his Ipad. Pretty intense....and sometimes I wonder if the paralysis of analysis is in play but other times I'm like it can't be. Certain positions (QB) have to see 5-6 things (probably more) in that 2 second window just to move the chains 10 yards. 

Don't forget though.. some of that stuff is pre snap stuff, as well! 

Ipads are stupid good lol.. we have 2 on the sideline and 2 in press box. Literally within 1 sec of that play ended I am looking at it to see what went wrong (don't watch the good plays) .... which I know that's different then what your friends son uses them for, but still cool. 

Paralysis by analysis absolutely happens, especially at the younger ages, my goodness does it happen. 

Over the summer is when we do most of our offensive work, in season practices are 70% defense or more. (Small school, dudes going both ways.. or they are at least backups on the other side of the ball). 

What we do offensively is what we do. Defensively we alter tons of stuff week to week to try and neutralize the opponent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Don't forget though.. some of that stuff is pre snap stuff, as well! 

Ipads are stupid good lol.. we have 2 on the sideline and 2 in press box. Literally within 1 sec of that play ended I am looking at it to see what went wrong (don't watch the good plays) .... which I know that's different then what your friends son uses them for, but still cool. 

Paralysis by analysis absolutely happens, especially at the younger ages, my goodness does it happen. 

Over the summer is when we do most of our offensive work, in season practices are 70% defense or more. (Small school, dudes going both ways.. or they are at least backups on the other side of the ball). 

What we do offensively is what we do. Defensively we alter tons of stuff week to week to try and neutralize the opponent. 

There was an old clip with Ray Lewis talking to Cowherd about presnap and Peyton. He said it took him a bit but he finally wouldn't have his D jump into their real formation until about 10 seconds left so Peyton couldn't do his thing presnap. 

I love chess matches at any level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

There was an old clip with Ray Lewis talking to Cowherd about presnap and Peyton. He said it took him a bit but he finally wouldn't have his D jump into their real formation until about 10 seconds left so Peyton couldn't do his thing presnap. 

I love chess matches at any level. 

Oh yes. Much strategy and not showing your hand. 

We multiple "indicators" we use. 

Makes it sooo much easier with instinctual football players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh yes. Much strategy and not showing your hand. 

We multiple "indicators" we use. 

Makes it sooo much easier with instinctual football players. 

Which is why I hope and pray some smart GM (hopefully my Bears) takes Mcfadden this week. I feel like he's a coach on the field seeing just one extra thing....at least that's what I see.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

Got any names to go with those positions?

I hope two of their first three picks are WR. Sky Moore with the 2nd round pick.  I see David Bell is sliding and would pick him in the 4th round. With the 3rd round pick I would pick a TE and the one from OSU might be there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rico said:

Got any names to go with those positions?

WR draft is deep. I gave up on trying to figure out who the Colts should pick a long time ago. Just a friggin crap shoot lol 

Things to consider:

Campbell's health

Granson's development

Can Pryor hold up at LT? 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:46 AM, btownqb said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I like Deebo and we were touting him all year.  His thighs are massive, like a back.

But, you're right, his value is versatility, including having the ball in traffic.  If he wants to eliminate that from his repertoire so he avoids hits from LBers, his financial value goes down.  Great football player but it's predicated on his versatility.  You take out the versatility and he downgrades from great to very good.  IMO.  I say this as a guy who likes his game.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I like Deebo and we were touting him all year.  His thighs are massive, like a back.

But, you're right, his value is versatility, including having the ball in traffic.  If he wants to eliminate that from his repertoire so he avoids hits from LBers, his financial value goes down.  Great football player but it's predicated on his versatility.  You take out the versatility and he downgrades from great to very good.  IMO.  I say this as a guy who likes his game.

I think that the real issue is how Deebo is classified for negotiation purposes. WR contracts have blown up recently. RBs don’t make anywhere close to what the top WRs do. Deebo is close to coming off his rookie contract and doesn’t want any team labeling him as a RB. 

• Like 2