2023 NFL Discussion

rico

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Question is if the Colts  pick like 10th but the top 3 QB's are off the board. Do you reach for a QB even though he isn't worthy being a top 10 pick or do you pick the BPA.  I know we need a QB but nothing hurts an organization more than reaching for a QB early in the draft.

While its not ideal to reach for a QB early in draft, it doesn't have to cripple an organization if they have the stones to make the hard decisions. 

Arizona took Kyler Murray one year after drafting a Josh Rosen #10 the year before. 

The Eagles drafted Jalen Hurts, when they had just locked up Wentz long term which ended up being a mistake. 

The Commanders took RGIII and then later in the same draft took Cousins. 

The Patriots made sure they were constantly drafting and developing QB's (Garapolo, Brisett, etc., etc).

Your organization just has to prioritize ensuring the QB is constantly developing and also that they're not afraid to make the hard decisions about that position. 

Again, not advocating for reaching for a 1st round QB, just saying it doesn't have to cripple an organization. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

While its not ideal to reach for a QB early in draft, it doesn't have to cripple an organization if they have the stones to make the hard decisions. 

Arizona took Kyler Murray one year after drafting a Josh Rosen #10 the year before. 

The Eagles drafted Jalen Hurts, when they had just locked up Wentz long term which ended up being a mistake. 

The Patriots made sure they were constantly drafting and developing QB's (Garapolo, Brisett, etc., etc).

Your organization just has to prioritize ensuring the QB is constantly developing and also that they're not afraid to make the hard decisions about that position. 

Again, not advocating for reaching for a 1st round QB, just saying it doesn't have to cripple an organization. 

Arizona is the only one you mentioned that took a chance with.a high pick. Hurts was a second round pick and probably wasn't thought of a sure fire starter this early. Cousins I think was a 5th rounder

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Question is if the Colts  pick like 10th but the top 3 QB's are off the board. Do you reach for a QB even though he isn't worthy being a top 10 pick or do you pick the BPA.  I know we need a QB but nothing hurts an organization more than reaching for a QB early in the draft.

I think that’s unanswerable at this point. We may have blown the tram up completely by April, or we could be trying to build a house on sand. 

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If they tank properly, they will have better than the 10th pick.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If they tank properly, they will have better than the 10th pick.  

I’m not sure we have to try to tank properly at this point. If Ehlinger is our QB all year and Taylor misses a lot of time (and he absolutely should), then the tanking will take care of itself.

We have the worst offense in the league, probably quite comfortably, if the two above points are true. 

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Miami.  The Dolphins took Dan Marino just after making the Super Bowl with a young David Woodley.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

Miami.  The Dolphins took Dan Marino just after making the Super Bowl with a young David Woodley.  

Rivers was drafted very shortly after Drew Brees.

Mahomes wasn't necessarily taken close to Alex Smith, but Alex Smith was still a fairly reasonable age and playing great, and the Chiefs moved up for Mahomes. 

The reality is when teams see a guy they think they can upgrade with at QB in the draft, they're willing to do it and it often pays off big. The Colts just have a coward at GM that really only takes low-risk, high-reward moves and is afraid to actually  take a big swing. That's why we haven't won anything worth while in his tenure despite all the accolades of him as a great drafter. 

• Like 1

Looks to me like the "experts" are saying there are 4-5 QBs that "will be" taken in the 1st round.  Those 5 are Young, Stroud, Levis, Hooker, and Richardson.  With Richardson being the guy that is a tweener.  There are about 5 or so others I have seen going from rounds 2-5.  A few of them intrigue me such as Penix and O'Connell.  And there are a couple I really haven't seen play that much if any at all such as Nix.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Looks to me like the "experts" are saying there are 4-5 QBs that "will be" taken in the 1st round.  Those 5 are Young, Stroud, Levis, Hooker, and Richardson.  With Richardson being the guy that is a tweener.  There are about 5 or so others I have seen going from rounds 2-5.  A few of them intrigue me such as Penix and O'Connell.  And there are a couple I really haven't seen play that much if any at all such as Nix.

Nix really intrigues me if we aren't going to take a QB high.

He has all the tools in the world (GREAT athlete, strong arm, good size, good pedigree) but was very up and down at Auburn. He has put up phenomenal numbers at Oregon, but you'd obviously want to see him do it in a Bowl Game or CFP setting against either like an SEC team or the OSU/Michigan loser in the Rose Bowl. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Nix really intrigues me if we aren't going to take a QB high.

He has all the tools in the world (GREAT athlete, strong arm, good size, good pedigree) but was very up and down at Auburn. He has put up phenomenal numbers at Oregon, but you'd obviously want to see him do it in a Bowl Game or CFP setting against either like an SEC team or the OSU/Michigan loser in the Rose Bowl. 

Wasn't he pretty bad against Georgia in the first game of the year.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Wasn't he pretty bad against Georgia in the first game of the year.

Yes, but I'm willing to give that particular game a pass because it was his first game in a new system, with a new coach for Oregon as well, and they flew halfway across the country.

I do think it's more than fair to hold some bad moments at Auburn against him. That's why I'd like to see him have a big game against a good team now that he's had time to adjust to Oregon. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Had to be done, wonder who the interim will be. John Fox or Gus Bradley and wonder who will be the OC and play caller.

After looking on staff there’s nobody on there that has called plays before so just take your pick probably. It might be Scottie Montgomery the RB coach because I think frank gave him some OC responsibility after he fired the OC. 

Just now, rico said:

And many would say that Georgia is the best defensive team in the country.

Agreed.

I think he seems like a guy who is continuing to grow as a player, though. Auburn was a pretty good team until he got hurt last year and has been terrible ever since, and Oregon is obviously in the CFP conversation and he's in the Heisman conversation. I'm not sure why Bo couldn't be a second or third round guy that ends up like Jalen Hurts. Any guy you take in that range is going to have to put in work, but at least Bo is a guy that has all the physical tools in place. 

• Like 1

Richardson is laughable to think of as a pro prospect. I think Hooker is in that category, as well, but at least he is going to have an accomplished college career. 

Taking 5 of these guys in the first round, no better than they are, you can see why so many of these NFL franchises struggle year after year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Had to be done, wonder who the interim will be. John Fox or Gus Bradley and wonder who will be the OC and play caller.

You would have to wonder how this somehow resonates to IU football and Dolson right now.... Frank fired his OC and then shortly after IU fired Hiller...... Will there be another firing?