'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Juwan Howard and Patrick Ewing (to a lesser degree) also come to mind.  

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Add Chris Mullin to that list...Except there's no evidence he cheated...He just got tired of losing...

All good examples.  So hard to be an NBA-level talent and also be successful as a college coach.  Some of the things they quoted Penny as saying during the broadcast last night made me think he had no clue what he's doing.  Tulsa played like crap as well, but when they made a late run to win, Penny had no idea how to adjust.

He's got players...he just has no idea what to do with them.  Ewing is the same.  Howard...I have my doubts but we'll see.  These guys can all recruit but eventually you have to coach and develop. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

All good examples.  So hard to be an NBA-level talent and also be successful as a college coach.  Some of the things they quoted Penny as saying during the broadcast last night made me think he had no clue what he's doing.  Tulsa played like crap as well, but when they made a late run to win, Penny had no idea how to adjust.

He's got players...he just has no idea what to do with them.  Ewing is the same.  Howard...I have my doubts but we'll see.  These guys can all recruit but eventually you have to coach and develop. 

absolutely.  people often think being a good player automatically makes you a good coach.  Magic is my all time favorite NBA player.  he was a terrible coach.  i think Penny is as dirty as they come too.  

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He might be but I can say this and it's not a big stretch to say outside of Coach K and RMK making an appearance last season, Sampson just might be the best coach to step foot inside Assembly Hall the last 20 years

He's an amazing coach.  Easily top 5 in the country.   We'd be Duke right now if we'd have kept him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He might be but I can say this and it's not a big stretch to say outside of Coach K and RMK making an appearance last season, Sampson just might be the best coach to step foot inside Assembly Hall the last 20 years

You can be a cheater and good at your job too. Even if they are skirting some of the rules at Houston it isn’t like they are bringing super high recruiting classes...typically they rank 50-70 or so...pretty much where you would expect a top team in the AAC (pretty good conference imo). I mean he isn’t putting in top 20 classes...or landing 5* kids. He just is coaching the crap out of what he has. Now are some of these kids pretty talented but maybe have academic or other issues that keep them out of major conferences? Probably and I’d say that is where rules might be getting slipped by but I don’t think he is doing anything blindly outside the lines. Sampson is a good xo coach and seems to develop good players. Not sure what would have happened long term because I had some issues with some of the stuff some kids were involved in at IU under his tenure. Probably wouldn’t be the same clean cut kids but man I know he wold won multiple B1G championships no doubt.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Honestly, no. I think he is just that good of a coach. It also helps the ranking that they aren’t challenged in the AAC like they would be in a major conference. 

so with the theory he isn't cheating, we're saying someone who has gotten in trouble at least twice for cheating has turned Houston into a powerhouse without cheating because he learned his lesson?  i hope so.  that would be good for him.  i'll always be against him for what he did to us though.  

16 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so with the theory he isn't cheating, we're saying someone who has gotten in trouble at least twice for cheating has turned Houston into a powerhouse without cheating because he learned his lesson?  i hope so.  that would be good for him.  i'll always be against him for what he did to us though.  

In fairness we did it to ourselves. The U self-reported and unilaterally imposed all of those “sanctions,” the destruction of our program — and the phone gate BS that the NCAA went after was legal by the next year. His recruiting resulted in horrible academics and what was basically a drug culture within the program, that needed to go, but the ruination of our program was done by IU itself.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Honestly, no. I think he is just that good of a coach. It also helps the ranking that they aren’t challenged in the AAC like they would be in a major conference. 

He is a really good coach. I don't think he's cheating in the way of paying players or anything but I do think it's likely he's cheating in the sense of recruiting violations. He showed he doesn't think the rules apply to him and shouldn't have to follow rules he probably considers silly. When he was at IU he tried to disguise his breaking of the rules so it was intentional which shows he has no problem doing so.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wouldn’t exactly be shocked if he’s bending the rules, he does have the track record lol, but he’s a truly exceptional coach and it’s definitely his coaching that has UofH in the top 10

Is he making contacts outside of dead periods etc...probably....but he doesn’t have kids getting Nike/Addidas kicks money. Are kids getting their education requirements looked past probably...I would bet almost every school is working in the grey or outside to keep kids eligible...is a kid getting slipped a preloaded Visa card with hundred or having their meal paid so he can go out with him and some teammates to get a steak dinner from time to time after a big win by a booster....probably but that happens everywhere. Are local car dealers hiring them to wash cars and letting them drive loaners....probably...I mean that kind of stuff happens everywhere even D2 schools....but are his kids getting thousands of dollars or houses bought for their parents etc etc etc ...seriously doubt it. He is coaching in NCAA oblivion but doing a fabulous job. I dont think he is pure as the driven snow obviously but no way is doing what LSU, Arizona, Louisville, Duke, UK etc are doing. NCAA would be all over him...they love to make examples out of programs like his.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is he making contacts outside of dead periods etc...probably....but he doesn’t have kids getting Nike/Addidas kicks money. Are kids getting their education requirements looked past probably...I would bet almost every school is working in the grey or outside to keep kids eligible...is a kid getting slipped a preloaded Visa card with hundred or having their meal paid so he can go out with him and some teammates to get a steak dinner from time to time after a big win by a booster....probably but that happens everywhere. Are local car dealers hiring them to wash cars and letting them drive loaners....probably...I mean that kind of stuff happens everywhere even D2 schools....but are his kids getting thousands of dollars or houses bought for their parents etc etc etc ...seriously doubt it. He is coaching in NCAA oblivion but doing a fabulous job. I dont think he is pure as the driven snow obviously but no way is doing what LSU, Arizona, Louisville, Duke, UK etc are doing. NCAA would be all over him...they love to make examples out of programs like his.

I hated KS for what happened at IU, then I realized it was IU doing all the damage.  Man, I wish he would have worked out.  He can flat out coach.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BDB said:

I hated KS for what happened at IU, then I realized it was IU doing all the damage.  Man, I wish he would have worked out.  He can flat out coach.

I’ll say this. I hated the way kids were behaving and I’m not saying breaking the rules is ok...but let me say this....if you are going to bring in a guy that can flat out coach but overlook that he steps over the line with rules from time to time then why oh why do you act shocked and throw him under the bus when he performs exactly how he always has (win games but ignore the ancillary recruiting rules). He was your pick your hire then stand by him and support him. Take your lumps and support your guy. You knew he was a rule breaker then stand by him when he does. Take the ticket and pay the fine and go back to letting him do what he is here to do...win ball games. It’s kinda hypocritical to hire a guy that has worked in the grey area and then act all holier than thou and turn him in and fire him when he performs exactly as expected.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3