'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You don't hea people from the athletic department coming out saying a coach is in trouble if they don't win a certain amount of games.  So where does the notion that a coach is on the hot seat comes from.

understood, but i assure you that all message boards have this.  if a recruit is looking to pick a school based on it having no fans calling for the coach to be replaced, they're going to have slim pickins!

I havent read too much of this thread, but it's weird when there is a negative connotation within a thread the same names pop up. 

To say that CAM is on the hot seat is pretty much absurd at this point of the season. IU would have to completely poop the bed this season and next. This shouldn't even be a conversation until at least Jan/Feb of 2022.

Although i do not agree with scott on everything, i will say, he does have a point. If the coach of their respective school is on the hot seat going into a recruiting cycle, it's an uphill climb. Why would a recruit commit to a coach/program if the program currently does not have faith in the coach. The upheaval and murmuring for the coach to be fired does not get leaked from within the program. It comes from the fan base. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I havent read too much of this thread, but it's weird when there is a negative connotation within a thread the same names pop up. 

To say that CAM is on the hot seat is pretty much absurd at this point of the season. IU would have to completely poop the bed this season and next. This shouldn't even be a conversation until at least Jan/Feb of 2022.

Although i do not agree with scott on everything, i will say, he does have a point. If the coach of their respective school is on the hot seat going into a recruiting cycle, it's an uphill climb. Why would a recruit commit to a coach/program if the program currently does not have faith in the coach. The upheaval and murmuring for the coach to be fired does not get leaked from within the program. It comes from the fan base. 

Let me be clear - I don't believe CAMs seat is warm right now, nor should be.  But I do believe we should expect better than .500 finishes in the Big 10 and bubble talk every year.  Based off the CURRENT trajectory of 2020-2021 IU basketball, I expect around .500 in Big 10 play.  This would put us around 15-12 for the year.  I would imagine that's bubble territory.  Seat gets warm for next season especially with the 2021 recruiting class.  Just one man's opinion (which apparently Scott Dolson may be listening to).

7 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Let me be clear - I don't believe CAMs seat is warm right now, nor should be.  But I do believe we should expect better than .500 finishes in the Big 10 and bubble talk every year.  Based off the CURRENT trajectory of 2020-2021 IU basketball, I expect around .500 in Big 10 play.  This would put us around 15-12 for the year.  I would imagine that's bubble territory.  Seat gets warm for next season especially with the 2021 recruiting class.  Just one man's opinion (which apparently Scott Dolson may be listening to).

Never said Dolson listens to what is said on here.  I said opposing coaches used fan reaction to promote the idea that the coach is on the hot seat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said Dolson listens to what is said on here.  I said opposing coaches used fan reaction to promote the idea that the coach is on the hot seat.

Which college coaches have told you that?  My friend that was a former asst coach on a BIg Ten team doesn't believe that. There is enough evidence with every program to use to try and convince recruits that their school is better than others. Never was it about fans saying coach is on hot seat. Kids are smart enough to know if a coach is getting it done or not. Most coaches in the recruting battle try not to insult the kids and their families so they let the results speak volumes.

Example if you want to finish in the top 4 every year compete for Big championships come here if you want to be in the bottom half each year go there. Has nothing to do with us on messages boards stating whether a seat is hot or not

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

No one is calling for CAM to be fired...

The point is, he's paid to win. His job DOES depend on it.

I cited the Izzo mantra of "Players dictate playing time." which I think is how it should be. If Khristian is earning it in practice and games, great...And I hope he is. But putting him out there in crunch time for any other reason than "he's earned it and he's the best player we can put out there to help us win" makes no sense to me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No one is calling for CAM to be fired...

The point is, he's paid to win. His job DOES depend on it.

I cited the Izzo mantra of "Players dictate playing time." which I think is how it should be. If Khristian is earning it in practice and games, great...And I hope he is. But putting him out there in crunch time for any other reason than "he's earned it and he's the best player we can put out there to help us win" makes no sense to me...

yep.  college coaches are paid to win.  Arch has to play the guys he thinks will win games now.  i thought lander would start from day 1, but it's pretty apparent that he is not ready.  Arch can't put him in for minutes that would cost us the game.  just gotta start upping his PT as we go.  lander will get there.  he's just not yet.  i think we're seeing some promising signs about CAM.  i'm not 100% sold personally, but i don't want him gone unless we are sure of the perfect next guy and that's hard to believe.  we seem pretty clear that we don't want a big time personality or to dish a crazy amount of money out, right?

• Like 1

Can we just start a "Hot Seat" thread where all these arguments can take place.  Its a legitimate discussion and one that is ok to discuss, but can we not discuss it in every single thread.  And i say this knowing i get sucked in to the discussion myself at time.  We definitely know there are several groups of fans within this board. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can we just start a "Hot Seat" thread where all these arguments can take place.  Its a legitimate discussion and one that is ok to discuss, but can we not discuss it in every single thread.  And i say this knowing i get sucked in to the discussion myself at time.  We definitely know there are several groups of fans within this board. 

I got sucked in and really didn't want to.  I second this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

If you are a below 500 Coach in conference play after 4/5 years.....you don’t need fans to be putting you on the hot seat. Your AD will be feeling the heat from up above. Indiana is pretty unique because we will basically sell out regardless of our record but once donors start skipping games and the admin gets a few letters that will be enough. Archie needs to win to gain momentum for the program. There is a fine line he has to walk and if the kids are happy then he is doing fine...but you start seeing transfers or recruiting problems then things will get bumpy. He isn’t on the hot seat right now...and I support evaluating where the program is after 5 years but his leash is definitely not as long as more established coaches.

The KU and TT is not a game you want to show kid son how to play good offense.  The scoring went up the last two minutes of the half but it was 22-21 with 3 to go in the half.  It is now 29-26 at the half.  Since Beard was an assistant under RMK I thought he would do more motion and movement off the ball but it is all ball screen and pick and rolls, 

I just see these players driving to far in and going all the way to the basket.  If these kids would learn how to jump stop and go up with a 10 foot jumper instead of going all the way to the basket.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The KU and TT is not a game you want to show kid son how to play good offense.  The scoring went up the last two minutes of the half but it was 22-21 with 3 to go in the half.  It is now 29-26 at the half.  Since Beard was an assistant under RMK I thought he would do more motion and movement off the ball but it is all ball screen and pick and rolls, 

I just see these players driving to far in and going all the way to the basket.  If these kids would learn how to jump stop and go up with a 10 foot jumper instead of going all the way to the basket.

All I know is Beard on the sideline is fired up! He is like the Basketball version of Tom Allen. He is pumped!

I think he tailors his offense to his talent. Couple years ago they were running a ton of motion and ball screens when he had lots of veteran guards and shooters. This year he had slashers and physical players...so playing to his teams strength. They play good defense consistently usually so I think Beard is a pretty good coach.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think college refs have a clue what a charge is anymore.  They call everything a charge today and I'm this game tonight there had been 4 horrendous calls.

There is no worse officiating than a college ref calling a charge. They literally hunt them during the game. So many horrible charge calls in college basketball. 

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There is no worse officiating than a college ref calling a charge. They literally hunt them during the game. So many horrible charge calls in college basketball. 

I never understand why they don't no call.  I think it was Dakich saying how college refs are graded and they get deductions for no call so they call EVERYTHING

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I see a lot of people wondering why players shoot so many 3's instead of attacking the basket. There are probably many reasons, but this is one of them. 

• Like 1