'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

College reffing is starting to hit a breaking point. College basketball is becoming harder to watch because of the terrible officiating and way too many foul calls. 

Each game is basically a race each half to see who can get into the double bonus earlier. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Each game is basically a race each half to see who can get into the double bonus earlier. 

AAU or travel ball officials in this area have a tendency think people are there to be entertained by them.  they talk to the crowd and joke, not even paying attention to the game some times.  same with the charge calls, and then if a coach dares to question any of their calls, God help them!  quick to T them up, smart A$$ comments to coaches that they won't let coaches make to them, etc., etc.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The KU and TT is not a game you want to show kid son how to play good offense.  The scoring went up the last two minutes of the half but it was 22-21 with 3 to go in the half.  It is now 29-26 at the half.  Since Beard was an assistant under RMK I thought he would do more motion and movement off the ball but it is all ball screen and pick and rolls, 

I just see these players driving to far in and going all the way to the basket.  If these kids would learn how to jump stop and go up with a 10 foot jumper instead of going all the way to the basket.

Mac McClung killed TTU down the stretch...He was hot early, but missed his last 5 or 6 shots, had a costly TO, and got used on defense...TT has a couple of nice young players in Peavy and Shannon...

And I'll say this about the refereeing...They've simple let basketball become too physical...If they would have called all of the offense shove offs, illegal screens, and guys getting mugged going to the rim last night, it would have just been a FT contest...

Basketball was not invented as a physical game...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Do you think college should go to nba quarters..10 mins 5 fouls til two shot and reset. I also like quarters because it adds two more end of period scenarios that add drama etc for coaching and scoring opportunities. Women have done it not sure why men haven’t.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you think college should go to nba quarters..10 mins 5 fouls til two shot and reset. I also like quarters because it adds two more end of period scenarios that add drama etc for coaching and scoring opportunities. Women have done it not sure why men haven’t.

if I remember correctly men's college basketball is the only competitive basketball that does two halves and not four quarters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So we have one person saying it’s a foul fest and the other saying it’s too physical?? Not sure how you rectify that.

It is a foul fest...I watched the KU-TT game, and they called plenty...The problem is, they could have called 3 times as many...

As I said, they've lost control of they physical nature of the game...Basketball was supposed to be a game of finesse and skill...Now the skill is "finishing through contact" which use to always result in a bucket and a FT...Now, it gets called maybe half the time...

Shooting percentages and scoring have been falling for years...This article may be a bit dated (2013 with a 2019 update) but...

"College basketball teams averaged 67.6 points per game this past season, the lowest since 1952. Teams shot a mere 43 percent from the field, the worst since 1965. Free throw attempts were also down because refs have swallowed their whistles and won’t call it when a player is chucked."

Only 3 teams in all of college basketball shot over 50% last year (Dayton, Gonzaga, and BYU)...

In 1975, the B10 alone had 4 that shot over 50%...

I know the 3 point shot has an affect on overall FG percentage, but come on...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

the refs call every little piece of contact.

I disagree...They call only the most egregious fouls, or fall for the old flop routine...

They overlook defensive hand checking, over the back (Haarms, you goon), offensive players using their forearms to create space, and hooking with the elbow... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

AAU or travel ball officials in this area have a tendency think people are there to be entertained by them.  they talk to the crowd and joke, not even paying attention to the game some times.  same with the charge calls, and then if a coach dares to question any of their calls, God help them!  quick to T them up, smart A$$ comments to coaches that they won't let coaches make to them, etc., etc.

Must have grew up watching TV Ted

Ted valentine emphatic call on Make a GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

So we have one person saying it’s a foul fest and the other saying it’s too physical?? Not sure how you rectify that.

Good question...and both sides absolutely have a point.  Players, coaches and officials all have had a hand in this ugly metamorphosis.  In my opinion, teams like Wisconsin foul on every possession.  I think it makes for ugly basketball as Wisconsin's mantra appears to be "they can't call 'em all."  I hate games that don't flow because the referees are constantly involved, but I think the way too many teams play physical defense today is as much if not more to blame than overactive officials.

How do you solve this?  Just a guess, but if officials clamped down consistently and sent a message that if you mug people on defense, we will foul out your entire starting five, I believe teams would quickly adapt and you'd see a lot more free-flowing game and a lot fewer games where the winning team shoots 40% or less.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Good question...and both sides absolutely have a point.  Players, coaches and officials all have had a hand in this ugly metamorphosis.  In my opinion, teams like Wisconsin foul on every possession.  I think it makes for ugly basketball as Wisconsin's mantra appears to be "they can't call 'em all."  I hate games that don't flow because the referees are constantly involved, but I think the way too many teams play physical defense today is as much if not more to blame than overactive officials.

How do you solve this?  Just a guess, but if officials clamped down consistently and sent a message that if you mug people on defense, we will foul out your entire starting five, I believe teams would quickly adapt and you'd see a lot more free-flowing game and a lot fewer games where the winning team shoots 40% or less.

They use to call it a lot closer and watching old games it was common for each team to have a couple of players foul out.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The biggest foul that is overlooked to me is the forearm push off by guards wo create space.  It does get called occasionally but man, they let guards do it all game.  Drive me crazy to see it over and over

My forearm jumper was famous in pickup games...I was too slow and too short to create any space. 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

So Wisconsin employs the old New England Patriot/Seattle Seahawks Secondary philosophy...hold/grab on every play...set the tone because the officials won’t call them all.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:39 AM, dgambill said:

I believe IUFLA was specifically referring to the TTU & KU game. I was going to post the same reaction for this particular game, only my headline would have been "no funeral, no foul". It was the ugliest, most physical game I've seen in a long time. And not enjoyable to watch. Wasn't a standard bearer for the whole universe.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 7:39 AM, dgambill said:

I think both are true. Refs seems to let the paint be a UFC match but then call every little ticky tack arm bar or hand check on the perimeter. They seem to hunt travels and hand checks, but then you can completely maul someone going to the basket and there's nothing. 

You can have a guy get clobbered going to the hoop and the refs call nothing, then the next possession down a guy catches the ball on the perimeter and isn't even making a move but if the defender even grazes him with his hand, they call a hand check. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DWB said:

I believe IUFLA was specifically referring to the TTU & KU game. I was going to post the same reaction for this particular game, only my headline would have been "no funeral, no foul". It was the ugliest, most physical game I've seen in a long time. And not enjoyable to watch. Wasn't a standard bearer for the whole universe.

KU-TT was the extreme, but I see it in a lot of B10 and Big 12 games too...

I watched a bit of Rhode Island-Davidson last night, and it was enjoyable to watch teams execute basketball plays. McKillop, who can coach by the way, drew up a beautiful play right before the half that Davidson executed perfectly and a kid named Lee (scrawny kid that can really stroke it) drained a 3 to give the Wildcats momentum going into the 2nd half...thing of beauty...

On 12/18/2020 at 6:11 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

ESPN app had this today haha

These Refs Have Mixtapes 😂

View Now in the ESPN App:

https://stories.espn.com/go?storyId=c62dfded-28b9-4859-094b-39f89da20e0f&pageId=c5fe0767-ca18-f7a4-69bf-39f89da2c755

Sent from the ESPN App: https://espn.com/app

• Like 1