Texas Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iirc Lunardi is rated around 75th in the nation for bracket accuracy.  

Edit.  55th over the last 5 years.  http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

Maybe it's time we make Bracketville a household name since they rank #1.  They had IU as a 9 seed.  

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

Thank you for the info.  I had no idea there were that many "bracketology experts."

Secondly,  I didn't realize Lunardi ranked that low. He has become the national mouthpiece for brackets and a perfect example of that was the Indy Star article.   They didn't use any other resource for that story.

47 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iirc Lunardi is rated around 75th in the nation for bracket accuracy.  

Edit.  55th over the last 5 years.  http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

Maybe it's time we make Bracketville a household name since they rank #1.  They had IU as a 9 seed.  

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

Also, KenPom had IU at 34 and BPI at 28. Both would indicate seeding ranges of somewhere between 7-9. 

I'm as frustrated as anyone else about yesterday's game. But last year's team was solidly in the tournament despite their many shortcomings. It was the main reason why I was a proponent of holding Selection Sunday even if the odds of playing were <10%. I knew a cancelled tournament would end up being held against Archie if there were struggles this year.

Had some time to reflect. Immediately after the game i had to run back to the computer to answer emails and then had a busy evening. So, I. May be repeating thoughts on this thread - I didn’t read every page.

First, as fans we live in the moment. Monday we were possibly a top ten team and then on Tuesday we’re doomed. That’s how invested fans act. We just have more invested fans than other programs. No need to apologize for that or police overly optimistic or pessimistic thoughts. Invested fans, no matter how crazy they are, are an asset to a program not a deterrent. Look at every successful college or pro program. Look at the Premier League! Haha. 

Yes, every now and then we need a dose of reality or some perspective, but we aren’t going scare recruits away. As far as I’m concerned, that’s a lame excuse they use. And if a recruit is unwilling to face adversity, rather that attack it, I don’t want him anyway. How is a team that has missed the tournament more than made it in the last ten years still recruiting multiple top 100 players? OUR fan base keeps this program relevant and breathing. We keep the value of our program high. We generate the revenue. 

Second, while in moment, I was not only frustrated that we were losing...it was how we were losing. This seems to be the consensus. We all had unpleasant memories of the past 3 years. And then I thought: how else are we going to lose??? We have the same coach and the same group of players. We’re not going to lose in a new way. 

I didn’t think going into this season that we were good enough to avoid a blowout or two. Scoring droughts are obstacles this team needs to overcome and the change is not going to happen like the flip of a light switch...it will be a process. We’ll find out later in the season if we are on the end side of that process or still in the middle. 

If we are still in the middle of these struggles in January then I don’t think it’s unreasonable to start warming CAM’s seat. As for now, I’m still in ‘wait and see mode’. These losses happen all the time early in the season. Remember when we absolutely steam rolled UNC a few years ago? How did that work out for both programs? Fools gold for us.....bad game for them. 

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

nearly always on the same page with you.  agreed again, but not sure what we do at this point.  i do think our talent level is very average though.  so if we want to be a top 25 team, in theory he will have to do a really good job to make us over achieve.  do you agree?

Completely agree. I do think from a talent perspective, we're fairly average relative to Big Ten and top 25 talent. 

I've said this for years, even during the Crean era, but we always seem to have that one headliner recruit and then a drop-off to the 100-120+ recruits. 

I think most IU fans want to be like Villanova, Virginia, MSU, etc. Those schools absolutely have some 120+ recruits and they have their headliner 5* guys, but where they seem to bread their butter with consistency is in that 25-75. 1-3 of those guys per class. The Christian Watford's, Mo Creek's, Troy Williams, Juwan Morgan's, etc, those borderline NBA guys that stay 3-4 years. But the key isn't have one of those guys every few years, it's having 1-3 per class, while sprinkling in the 5* and 3* guys. 

I feel like that is what MSU, Villanova, Virginia, etc. do. 

Look at that Texas roster, I think someone said they had 10 guys rated between 20-80 or something like that. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. I do think from a talent perspective, we're fairly average relative to Big Ten and top 25 talent. 

I've said this for years, even during the Crean era, but we always seem to have that one headliner recruit and then a drop-off to the 100-120+ recruits. 

I think most IU fans want to be like Villanova, Virginia, MSU, etc. Those schools absolutely have some 120+ recruits and they have their headliner 5* guys, but where they seem to bread their butter with consistency is in that 25-75. 1-3 of those guys per class. The Christian Watford's, Mo Creek's, Troy Williams, Juwan Morgan's, etc, those borderline NBA guys that stay 3-4 years. But the key isn't have one of those guys every few years, it's having 1-3 per class, while sprinkling in the 5* and 3* guys. 

I feel like that is what MSU, Villanova, Virginia, etc. do. 

Look at that Texas roster, I think someone said they had 10 guys rated between 20-80 or something like that. 

Agree with @NCHoosier32 too. We came in 2nd place for a handful of really good recruits recently. I think we lost out on them because of our system. Who wants to play in an offensive system that seems stagnant for half of the game.....a system that lacks shooting and space? So damn right we need to overachieve. This season the offense needs to prove that it can shoot, push the ball in transition, cut harder off of screens and play with a purpose. 

I really think it's make it or break it for CAM right now. Not because of disgruntled fans, but because if he can't prove his offense can function, then we won't get the talent everybody is saying we need to make his system work. 

I'm all about chicken and egg metaphors. If the chicken is 'talent' and the egg is 'success'....pretty soon that chicken will be dead if it the system keeps producing rotten eggs.  

You can see Lander’s physical talent oozing all over the court on both ends.  He’s supposed to be in high school getting ready for Bosse, Harrison, or Castle. You can see he is trying to adjust to the type of athletes on the floor with him, from 1-5.  But I think we all see an exceptional ceiling for him.  

The game will start slowing down for him as he gains more and more experience.  Right now, his shot looks like he’s just throwing it up there.   Being a primary ball handler is a tough ask for a 17 year old playing up a year.  

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You can see Lander’s physical talent oozing all over the court on both ends.  He’s supposed to be in high school getting ready for Bosse, Harrison, or Castle. You can see he is trying to adjust to the type of athletes on the floor with him, from 1-5.  But I think we all see an exceptional ceiling for him.  

The game will start slowing down for him as he gains more and more experience.  Right now, his shot looks like he’s just throwing it up there.   Being a primary ball handler is a tough ask for a 17 year old playing up a year.  

I would like to see Lander start at point.  His ability to move with the ball and get it to guys is just a level above anyone else.  so yeah he can't shoot, but guess what, neither can most of our guards.  I think by the end of the season, this kid will be the starter.  I would like to see him start now.  Love his ceiling.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You act like IU is the cheapest program in the country but they are paying the HC the 9th highest salary in the country.  They also have made major improvements to facilities and spending money on those type of things.

Coach Cal: 9.27 million

Coach Miller: 3.16 million

Case closed

Also compare where Kentucky players live to where IU players live.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This wasn't in an interview but just a conversation that Denari had with them.  Well I believe what they said and I guess I am not a cynical person

It’s not cynical but I think the accurate word would be gullible if you take what they say as gospel.  Historically what I am saying has been proven way more than what you are.  Once again neither of us are them so we don’t know, but things change and people always show the cards they want to show.  It’s not cynical it’s called real life based on historical evidence.

I believe today's game will be the indication on where the rest of the season will go. We have a dominant performance against a decent Providence team, and then an extremely disappointing performance against a Texas team that returned 100% of their scoring from last year. Shaka is coming into a decent power 5 coach and has plenty of talent on that roster. 

Is Archie the guy? I don't know but I do like him. Look at Coach K's first 4 years at Duke. 

Indiana isn't the 'blue blood' it once was. I am 26 so I haven't seen the really good years. I was 8 years old when we played Maryland in the championship. Compare us to Miami in football, was really freaking good and now just another team.

23 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Coach Cal: 9.27 million

Coach Miller: 3.16 million

Case closed

Also compare where Kentucky players live to where IU players live.

I think at least the facilities gap got closed quite a bit recently...Cook Hall looks to be top notch, and there was a video somewhere of the player's digs, and it certainly wasn't section 8 stuff. Here's a look at the facility the players live in.

And here's the Wildcat Lodge... Doesn't look all that much better than what our kids live in.

I think we're catching up to other schools. Coach Allen having success in football will get us up there even more. So I'm optimistic...

2 hours ago, Andy06 said:

Thank you for the info.  I had no idea there were that many "bracketology experts."

Secondly,  I didn't realize Lunardi ranked that low. He has become the national mouthpiece for brackets and a perfect example of that was the Indy Star article.   They didn't use any other resource for that story.

You're trying very hard to stand on a position that lacks any merit. Seriously. There was no question IU was in last season, you can search for reasons to dispute that for some reason I really can't fathom, it's pointless. And yes, apparently you really haven't followed "bracketologists" and their success rates, Lunardi is just bad. That he has a platform at espn is irrelevant. Why don't you just accept that IU was in? Why is that so hard for you?

18 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I believe today's game will be the indication on where the rest of the season will go. We have a dominant performance against a decent Providence team, and then an extremely disappointing performance against a Texas team that returned 100% of their scoring from last year. Shaka is coming into a decent power 5 coach and has plenty of talent on that roster. 

Is Archie the guy? I don't know but I do like him. Look at Coach K's first 4 years at Duke. 

Indiana isn't the 'blue blood' it once was. I am 26 so I haven't seen the really good years. I was 8 years old when we played Maryland in the championship. Compare us to Miami in football, was really freaking good and now just another team.

Yes and no. We're likely going to be missing Al, and Brunk. What I hope, and expect, to see is a much much better effort from the team. Stanford is pretty good, and shouldn't be discounted. If we lose it's not some referendum on the team. I hope we win, but ignoring that we'll be without Al and probably Brunk. isn't a good way to go about framing how the team will do going forward or how good it is. Btw, Shaka has been bad for years and was on the front edge of the hot seat coming into this season, but he got a strong recruiting base to work with this season and is off to a good start.

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think at least the facilities gap got closed quite a bit recently...Cook Hall looks to be top notch, and there was a video somewhere of the player's digs, and it certainly wasn't section 8 stuff. Here's a look at the facility the players live in.

And here's the Wildcat Lodge... Doesn't look all that much better than what our kids live in.

I think we're catching up to other schools. Coach Allen having success in football will get us up there even more. So I'm optimistic...

I agree the gap for facilities is closer.  But to be clear the wildcat lodge is an on campus housing if my meme pry is correct.  Evolve is off campus (though next to the stadium) and not affiliated with IU in any way except iu contracts with them.  Private living facilities paid by donations is different than contract apartments that are available to any IU student.

17 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I agree the gap for facilities is closer.  But to be clear the wildcat lodge is an on campus housing if my meme pry is correct.  Evolve is off campus (though next to the stadium) and not affiliated with IU in any way except iu contracts with them.  Private living facilities paid by donations is different than contract apartments that are available to any IU student.

Out of genuine curiosity, does that afford UK an advantage when pitching to prospective players? Not sure how all that works...

56 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're trying very hard to stand on a position that lacks any merit. Seriously. There was no question IU was in last season, you can search for reasons to dispute that for some reason I really can't fathom, it's pointless. And yes, apparently you really haven't followed "bracketologists" and their success rates, Lunardi is just bad. That he has a platform at espn is irrelevant. Why don't you just accept that IU was in? Why is that so hard for you?

So my point has no merit because I don't study the bracket gurus?  I have a job, wife and 3 kids which means I have a finite amount of time to follow sports.

I never said we wouldn't have been in the tournament that didn't get played.  I think we were probably in, somewhere between a 9 and seed.  

Everyone had has as one of the last few teams in going into the BTT.  If we lost the first game vs Nebraska it would have been tough to get in.  We needed at least one, possibly two wins to guarantee a spot.  To me that is on the bubble. 

That's not the point though.  The problem is, year three of a coach we are excited to make the tournament?  That's a really low bar to clear.

This isn't the 70s where only 32 teams made it.  If we can't be a top 68 team at a minimum that's a sad state of affairs. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Out of genuine curiosity, does that afford UK an advantage when pitching to prospective players? Not sure how all that works...

I think it would to some degree.  You essentially in my mind get a private frat house that’s state of the art.  Players may prefer something like Evolve so they can be around the co-eds but I bet in turn the coaches like a place that’s more easy for them to monitor what’s going on and keep track of the players and what they are doing.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The coaches need to convince Lander that the best way to get on teh court this season is as a facilitator.  Work on the shot over the off-season and be a primary scoring option next year.  He can help us soooooo much this season if he thinks pass 5 times before he shoots.  

Archived