Texas Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.png.6060ad602cce08ceff3b4741dc198ca1.png

Scott, you act like because fans are unhappy with a coach and how the team plays that they aren't rooting for them to win or want they to be great.  I don't see our numbers of fans in the forum going down.  I don't see anyone leaving IU and going to another team.  I see fans who are ok with where we are and i see fans who are fed up with where we are.  But i only see fans.  You should step down from your high horse before you break your neck man

Tried to post this about Archie Miller in the game thread, but it locked before I could hit post. 

My belief since his first year has been that he'll be fired in March of 2022. I guessed five years because we tend to be far more patient than other bluebloods who demand results over visions and excuses. He won't be fired this year because everything is weird with Covid and we won't play in normal settings. If TJD foolishly tries to go pro after this season, next year won't be any better because he whiffed on '21 recruiting and we still won't shoot well enough to beat teams like we saw today. 

Someone posted last night that UNLV is one of those programs that had a good coach who made them relevant for awhile, but when that coach left, they went downhill and were never the same again. I've tried not to think we could be one of those, but we're pushing two decades since our last Final Four, and people old enough to be parents weren't even alive the last time we won it all. 

Things can change quickly if you hire the right coach. Things can also get worse if you hire the wrong one. 

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

Better 2nd half than the 1st. Only got beat by 10 points in that half as opposed to 12 the first AND IU scored 6 more points.

69% FT shooting isn't terrible. It's far from great but not terrible. 

And... those are the only positives I can find.

Great Effort, that wasn't easy.

Just now, 5fouls said:

A couple of observations:

• Two recent recruits we lost talked about 'style of play' as keys to their decision.
  • You can be a good coach, but maybe not a good coach at a particular school.  We may have that going on here.

There are alot of examples where great mid major coaches moved to big schools and didn't make it.  Or didn't make it at that specific school. It happens allot more often actually that those who make it to the big time

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

A couple of observations:

• Two recent recruits we lost talked about 'style of play' as keys to their decision.
  • You can be a good coach, but maybe not a good coach at a particular school.  We may have that going on here.

You want to bring him into this now as a way to support the local kid? Not sure it's the right time. 

Well it's been 4 seasons and Crean's players are gone and this team still has no 3 point shooting and a clear lack of depth in the post (looks like the last Several seasons).  IMO, this is Archie's last freebie season and next year he's on the hot seat.  How long does it take to rebuild?  Cities have been built quicker.  Eventually, the excuses run out.  If the goal is to be a bubble team and a top 40 program year and year out, I guess it's happening.

Terrible game and the players need to be held accountable but it is just one game.  I will not turn back on my team during the bad times because when the good times come I will still be here.  There are a lot of different people responsible for where the program is and the fans has some of the responsibility as well.  I know all fan bases have those who turn on their team after ever loss but that doesn't make it right ad well.  To me turning on players and coaches will hurt recruiting and getting top candidates to come here.

In my opinion, we are average.  As much as we want to believe we have or will improve, I simply can't buy it.  If TJD leaves after this season, who is going to be our scoring threat?  We have no consistent shooters.  We hoped Hunter would emerge, but I'm having doubts.  Yes, it's very early, but I see average outcomes for us this season and lots of ??? next season. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Tried to post this about Archie Miller in the game thread, but it locked before I could hit post. 

My belief since his first year has been that he'll be fired in March of 2022. I guessed five years because we tend to be far more patient than other bluebloods who demand results over visions and excuses. He won't be fired this year because everything is weird with Covid and we won't play in normal settings. If TJD foolishly tries to go pro after this season, next year won't be any better because he whiffed on '21 recruiting and we still won't shoot well enough to beat teams like we saw today. 

Someone posted last night that UNLV is one of those programs that had a good coach who made them relevant for awhile, but when that coach left, they went downhill and were never the same again. I've tried not to think we could be one of those, but we're pushing two decades since our last Final Four, and people old enough to be parents weren't even alive the last time we won it all. 

Things can change quickly if you hire the right coach. Things can also get worse if you hire the wrong one. 

I am hoping that we have figured out a way to finally compete with the whole pay to play format that is coming.  Short of that...enh...

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

You want to bring him into this now as a way to support the local kid? Not sure it's the right time. 

Not supporting anybody.  I'm as disappointed as anyone about his decision.  The fact is that Mason Miller said the exact same thing.  

Archived