Archie Support

I am probably the minority when it comes to supporting CAM but I believe he will right the ship. No preseason work is starting to show.

But again, Indiana isn’t the same as it was in the 70s and 80s but I believe we can return to being a constant stay in the top 25. 

As the great philosopher Aaron Rodgers said, ‘R-E-L-A-X’

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I am probably the minority when it comes to supporting CAM but I believe he will right the ship. No preseason work is starting to show.

But again, Indiana isn’t the same as it was in the 70s and 80s but I believe we can return to being a constant stay in the top 25. 

So what indication has CAM given that he can right the ship?  We’re 4 years on with the exact same issues.  

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So what indication has CAM given that he can right the ship?  We’re 4 years on with the exact same issues.  

Improved defense every single year. Getting the recruits that fit him. Offense will figure it out. This years team plays hard and once they figure out how the offensive end it will be the final piece of the puzzle. 

question.. if they were to get rid of Archie, who do you want?

3 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Improved defense every single year. Getting the recruits that fit him. Offense will figure it out. This years team plays hard and once they figure out how the offensive end it will be the final piece of the puzzle. 

question.. if they were to get rid of Archie, who do you want?

I’ve been hearing the offense will figure itself out for 4 years. That’s not a sign it’s a piece of blind faith.  

And no we clearly aren’t getting the recruits that fit his system considering we whiffed on most primary targets the last 2 years.  

And no the team does not play hard.  Archies teams never do. That’s the problem. 

25 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I hope so, but fone has to ask, how does NW look good collectively with the same prep.  They got better after their loss to Pittsburgh.

Yesterday's game, Archie only played two freshmen, one getting extensive time.  These kids should know the system.

I hope the ship gets corrected.  Archie doesn't have carisma or a rock star personality like the likes of Allen, Knight, Izzo, etc.  The product is all we got, and IU fans crave winning seasons and competing for conference titles.

I don’t think you’re in the minority - you are probably in the Vocal minority. After a loss, especially one at home in a game we could have won, there’s a lot of angst and frustration, and those who are doubtful of CAM tend to get vocal.

Also think there are legitimate complaints and concerns that aren’t about questioning CAM’s long-term anticipated success but about some of the short term game strategies and his offense. Pretty clear I’m in the camp now. I think CAM is a strong coach who has made this team better every year, who has been building a smart, competitive group as he brings in his recruits, his D is top flight and recruiting has been good. I do not like some of his offensive strategies and who he chooses to run / implement them but that’s not an attack on his future as IU’s coach 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

I’ve been hearing the offense will figure itself out for 4 years. That’s not a sign it’s a piece of blind faith.  

And no we clearly aren’t getting the recruits that fit his system considering we whiffed on most primary targets the last 2 years.  

And no the team does not play hard.  Archies teams never do. That’s the problem. 

We aren’t going to get every single recruit. Did we miss out on some? Yes. Did we get recruits that some think we wouldn’t? Yes. Does Cal miss out on recruits? Does Izzo miss out on recruits?

How do they not play hard?

again, who would you want to coach? Be realistic (not Stevens or Donovan etc.)

2 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

We aren’t going to get every single recruit. Did we miss out on some? Yes. Did we get recruits that some think we wouldn’t? Yes. Does Cal miss out on recruits? Does Izzo miss out on recruits?

How do they not play hard?

again, who would you want to coach? Be realistic (not Stevens or Donovan etc.)

We got one recruit lol. We missed on everybody but him.  In what should have been a 4 man class.  We got nobody so we certainly didn’t get the recruits we need. Then we got desperate and got a grad transfer who shot a mediocre percentage from the field as the second leading scorer for a lower tier school.  Fitting for a lower tier coach. 

Izzo wins games.  Stop comparing Archie to Izzo.  They are apples to oranges. When Izzo misses on a recruit or loses a game he has a history of it being an anomaly. Archie has a history of it being a pattern. 

I want somebody that can fix a problem in less 4 years. And can win more big ten basketball games than he loses. Archies most successful team was Creans. 

I don’t have a name but we know Miller ain’t the guy. 4 years is more than enough time to find a PG. 

It doesn't matter what fans or message board posters think or say, CAM will coach through the end of the 21-22 season, IMO.  By then, he will have a sufficient body of work at IU for the powers that be can evaluate him on.  Sure, things can and may turn around, but the longer it takes, the more it will impact his "report card".

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

We got one recruit lol. We missed on everybody but him.  In what should have been a 4 man class.  We got nobody so we certainly didn’t get the recruits we need. Then we got desperate and got a grad transfer who shot a mediocre percentage from the field as the second leading scorer for a lower tier school.  Fitting for a lower tier coach. 

Izzo wins games.  Stop comparing Archie to Izzo.  They are apples to oranges. When Izzo misses on a recruit or loses a game he has a history of it being an anomaly. Archie has a history of it being a pattern. 

I want somebody that can fix a problem in less 4 years. And can win more big ten basketball games than he loses. Archies most successful team was Creans. 

I don’t have a name but we know Miller ain’t the guy. 4 years is more than enough time to find a PG. 

So Archie shouldn’t miss on recruits? Anybody he recruits should commit? Don’t think that’s how that works. Does Chris Holtmann miss out on recruits or does he get every single one he offers?

So you just want to fire him?

There were Crean supporters until the last brutal day with him, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  It’s human nature.  Archie’s fate hasn’t been determined yet by any stretch, but he cannot afford a substandard season.  I’m still rooting for a positive outcome.  If nothing else, if Archie doesn’t have that spark as a coach, then I don’t want him to leave the same mess Crean and Sampson left.  We do have some young players with the right mindset who could help a new coach in a couple of years if it comes to that.  I’m also going to do a deeper dive on coaching candidates so I’m more informed if that’s where this is going.   

1 minute ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

So Archie shouldn’t miss on recruits? Anybody he recruits should commit? Don’t think that’s how that works. Does Chris Holtmann miss out on recruits or does he get every single one he offers?

So you just want to fire him?

He can miss on recruits but his supporters should stop claiming he’s getting the players for his system. Whatever the heck that is. 

Yes fire Miller the second this season is over and try to get somebody that can get a PG in less time than it takes me to have a kid, teach the kid to walk, talk and use the potty. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

He can miss on recruits but his supporters should stop claiming he’s getting the players for his system. Whatever the heck that is. 

Yes fire Miller the second this season is over and try to get somebody that can get a PG in less time than it takes me to have a kid, teach the kid to walk, talk and use the potty. 

Who are you going to hire that will be huge upgrade because it will be another mid major coach who.is up and coming.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

So if we have a PG then this team is fixed?

Obviously Archie is a defensive minded coach and those are the kids he’s got. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Who are you going to hire that will be huge upgrade because it will be another mid major coach who.is up and coming.

Crean and Sampson weren’t mid major coaches and we hired them. Who says it has to be a mid major coach? I still say give Archie 5 years but that is just bogus.

51 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I'm with you...

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There are lots of coaches with good resumes out there.  I’m starting to study the landscape so I can speak more intelligently about it over the next year.  I encourage others to do so as well with an open mind.  Glass admitted he got fixated on Archie last time and he made a one-man decision.  This time, if IU does a better job with its due diligence, we can find a good coach who matches us.  The concern is that Dolson is tied to the ex players who are pushing for an ex player and we make another rash decision.  

Archived