Illinois pregame 12/26 4PM ET

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Illinois has started this same lineup all year...

Cockburn 7'0

Dosunmu 6'5

Miller 6'3

Williams 6'3

Frazier 6'2

So I wonder what we counter with? Last year, Rob did a good job on Ayo...who does Race guard (assuming TJD goes against Kofi)? Or does Archie alter his starting lineup to counter the smaller Illini?

The only other guy with size that sees much time for Illinois is Georgi Benhavishvili (6'9) and the 2 or 3 times I've watched them, Georgi and Kofi were never on the floor together...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Cockburn 7'0

Dosunmu 6'5

Miller 6'3

Williams 6'3

Frazier 6'2

So I wonder what we counter with? Last year, Rob did a good job on Ayo...who does Race guard (assuming TJD goes against Kofi)? Or does Archie alter his starting lineup to counter the smaller Illini?

The only other guy with size that sees much time for Illinois is Georgi Benhavishvili (6'9) and the 2 or 3 times I've watched them, Georgi and Kofi were never on the floor together...

I have seen a couple of times where UI had both big guys on the floor together but not much.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

.Brunk = depth. That is good.

When TJD goes out, we are better with Brunk being available than not.  he suddenly makes us super elite.

You should see my cousin.  She is so hot.

I wish I was smart as 5fouls.  

Who ate the last piece of cheesecake?

@IUFLA

@jefftheref

This is the post I'm referencing.  Granted it seems like a bunch of random thoughts, though he does make at least one good point.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen a couple of times where UI had both big guys on the floor together but not much.

I think last year Underwood understood that having Georgi play outside wasn't good, and having him inside clogged things up for Cockburn.

They did start out both starting last year, but that changed late in the year.

I hope that we see more freshmen this game. If Al, Rob, and Hunter aren’t getting it done I’d love to see Leal, Lander, and Geronimo get a few minutes. Lander and Leal have bags many moments of struggling on defense but I’d like to see guys execute the offensive game plan a little bit better. Al and Rob haven’t been getting it done in the half court offense. 

I’ve liked Brunk going back to high school.   It’s not because he’s Shaq.

I grade people based on the role they play.  Brunk is a solid rotational big man.  He’s a 6’10 guy who moves fine, wants to do well, understands his role, leads, and is a team player.  I could always find a scholarship for a guy like that.  

Last year, I thought Race brought a bit more of dynamic play so I was in favor of Brunk coming off the bench.  That’s where we miss him.  

1 minute ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Going to be a tough game.. they are pretty deep.. I trust that our defense will show up but we're going to have crash the boards hard and knock down a lot of shots to win this.. if I had to guess, they're going to go right at Trayce early to get him out of the game. 

And they'll go at him via Kofi...I said this before but if they let Kofi get away with lane camping, travelling, and offensive fouls, we're in trouble...

The rest I feel ok about...Ayo is a good player that can shoot from outside but is more deadly mid-range and going to the bucket. Our strength so far has been our guard's defense...if we play D like we are capable of, that SHOULD nullify Williams, Frazier, and Miller...

I know "a bus ride to Champaign" is second on the list of depressing destinations to "a bus ride to West Lafayette" for any functional human being, but hopefully that has no impact...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Cockburn 7'0

Dosunmu 6'5

Miller 6'3

Williams 6'3

Frazier 6'2

One thing we've learned about Miller is that he doesn't change the starting lineups often and I don't think he's adjusted it a single time while at IU just for matchups. He's a bit more flexible with PT but really seems to try to not let other schools dictate who he plays and how much.

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

One thing we've learned about Miller is that he doesn't change the starting lineups often and I don't think he's adjusted it a single time while at IU just for matchups. He's a bit more flexible with PT but really seems to try to not let other schools dictate who he plays and how much.

I agree...Archie doesn't change lineups much, but 2 reasons I thought he might consider it were, who does Race guard?

And, if it would be Race who doesn't start, it gives us 2 guys (Race and TJD) to throw at Cockburn...

Just a thought...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...Archie doesn't change lineups much, but 2 reasons I thought he might consider it were, who does Race guard?

And, if it would be Race who doesn't start, it gives us 2 guys (Race and TJD) to throw at Cockburn...

Just a thought...

That's a good point and it might work. I just think Miller is too stubborn to make a change like that.

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

I think Race would do a better job on Cockburn than Trayce. 1:1

Maybe...but then who does Trayce guard?

4 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

That's a good point and it might work. I just think Miller is too stubborn to make a change like that.

He is a tad stubborn...

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

There are certain days where I love following in game threads with everyone. This might be one I sit out and just watch the game and chime in afterwards. The pot seems to be simmering already and it's 75 minutes to tip. 

Me too. But I'll mainly sit out the game thread, because I sync Fisch and the radio to the TV, and there is usually a 30-90 second delay.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just a thought...

Why not look at it from the viewpoint.of who will guard Race down low for UI

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There are certain days where I love following in game threads with everyone. This might be one I sit out and just watch the game and chime in afterwards. The pot seems to be simmering already and it's 75 minutes to tip. 

I am skipping the game today. Wish the Hoosiers the best but my old heart just can't take it. 

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and I wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Archived