Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Seems like Walsh is the primary on Sisley

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/article/college-basketball-trent-sisley-indiana-iowa-notre-dame-225982790/amp/

Indiana: “They were also in early on me. Coach Walsh has been talking with me a lot and coach Woodson as of more recently. They’re both in a pretty good spot with me right now.”

It does seem that way. It also seems like statements like the one below from that same article reinforce what was being said.

“Coach Izzo and some assistants came down, and coach Painter came down for a home game. Both of them have been down this year to see me.”

46 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

It does seem that way. It also seems like statements like the one below from that same article reinforce what was being said.

“Coach Izzo and some assistants came down, and coach Painter came down for a home game. Both of them have been down this year to see me.”

Walsh does all the recruiting work.  The other 3 (Woodson, Hunter, Rosemond) sit on their *** and collect a check.  I would keep Walsh if I were the next coach.  Hunter and Rosemond would get fired at the press conference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Maybe Sisley isn't what Woodson is looking for. He's pretty skinny for a "big" 

He needs to eat some food.  

Edited by mrflynn03

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Walsh does all the recruiting work.  The other 3 (Woodson, Hunter, Rosemond) sit on their *** and collect a check.  I would keep Walsh if I were the next coach.  Hunter and Rosemond would get fired at the press conference.

Do you have first hand knowledge that this is the case?

I have to ask because just a couple of posts above yours, Thad Matta is quoted as saying he has a lit of respect for Coach Woodson.

We all watch the games, so we have some perspective to form an opinion on his coaching style and results.  However, I certainly have no inside knowledge on whether Woodson or the assistants 'sit on their asphalt' or not.

I do recall, at least early on in his tenure, there were several posts that indicated Woodson was at the athletic facilities much more frequently than Archie.  That at least implies a good work ethic.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you have first hand knowledge that this is the case?

I have to ask because just a couple of posts above yours, Thad Matta is quoted as saying he has a lit of respect for Coach Woodson.

We all watch the games, so we have some perspective to form an opinion on his coaching style and results.  However, I certainly have no inside knowledge on whether Woodson or the assistants 'sit on their asphalt' or not.

I do recall, at least early on in his tenure, there were several posts that indicated Woodson was at the athletic facilities much more frequently than Archie.  That at least implies a good work ethic.

I am strictly talking recruiting.  The two assistants, when was the last time we landed anybody they were the lead recruiters on.  In Woodson's case it is reading tea leaves like the recent interview with Sisley where he indicated Painter and Izzo had been seeing him regularly and Woodson just recently started to get more involved while Walsh had been the main contact.  Walsh was the main guy on our so far only 2024 recruit.  He was the main guy on Cupps.  Newton may be the only guy we targeted that he didn't pull in out of the last few high school classes. (Mgbako's Mom recruited him)

In a results based business, Rosemond and Hunter in particular don't appear to be adding much value.  They reportedly are here to mostly recruit and going into January 2024 with at least a 4 man class coming up and an unused scholarship from last year and only having 1 spot filled looks pretty garbage to me.

Edited by IUCrazy2

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe Sisley isn't what Woodson is looking for. He's pretty skinny for a "big" 

He needs to eat some food.  

Yeah, what do Izzo and Painter know about winning in the Big Ten....

Sisley is the type of kid who if he goes to another Big Ten school will absolutely steal our lunch and we'll sit back and wonder how the f that guy got away.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, what do Izzo and Painter know about winning in the Big Ten....

Sisley is the type of kid who if he goes to another Big Ten school will absolutely steal our lunch and we'll sit back and wonder how the f that guy got away.

I'm not sure Indiana fans care much anymore. If this were UK or KU, the fans and administration would already have Woodsons house up for sale.

59 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

I'm not sure Indiana fans care much anymore. If this were UK or KU, the fans and administration would already have Woodsons house up for sale.

recklessly throwing out word vomit to see what sticks is not the same thing as caring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fkfootball said:

UK nor KU have ever seen themselves in the situation that IU seems to be mired in.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

pUKe was 9-16 just a few years ago. Their head coach didn’t go anywhere 

you cant compare coaches and their records. it was a different time. we now have the NIL and transfer portal. Its easier to win, but only just for IU nowadays.

31 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I’m sorry. I thought you were referring to the CMW tenure. I don’t know what we are “mired in”. If we don’t make the tournament this year, it will be the first of his tenure.

We are mired in mediocrity.  And that is being kind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

pUKe was 9-16 just a few years ago. Their head coach didn’t go anywhere 

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

you cant compare coaches and their records. it was a different time. we now have the NIL and transfer portal. Its easier to win, but only just for IU nowadays.

Well, that was a shortened season because of Covid sandwiched between to 25+ win seasons that were both top ten finishes.

You could argue we haven’t had that good of a three year stretch since the early 90s. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I allowed to ask who those guys think they are to question things? :coffee:

That article also left out that Watford and Elston disagreed with evans that the program has hit its ceiling with Woody, but they didn’t want to question evans because of the player he was. 

Edited by IUskim