Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

image.png.7935654058a54934c063da45017b0dfa.png

I think it's fair to say that the rankings were flawed on Smith, and grossly flawed on Edey.  Kudos to Painter for recognizing something that the recruiting experts and other college coaches overlooked in those 2 players.

The comparison I want to focus on is Jones vs Mgbako.  I'm not going to begin to pretend I know how Jones would react off the court in a Taco Bell type situation.  What I can compare is what I see from them on the court.  Jones plays with a  purpose and a level of intensity that Mgbako doesn't.  Part of that may come from the fact that Jones is a 5th-year Senior while Mgbako is a Freshman.  That said, I don't get the feel that Mgbako has the type of personality that would be successful starting at a lower-level school and earning a promotion to the big time. 

Do I expect IU to recruit unranked kids out of high school.  No, I don't.  But, I do expect our coaching staff to recognize drive, passion, commitment, and effort.  When two kids have the same general level of skills, the one with the bigger heart.    

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think it's fair to say that the rankings were flawed on Smith, and grossly flawed on Edey.  Kudos to Painter for recognizing something that the recruiting experts and other college coaches overlooked in those 2 players.

The comparison I want to focus on is Jones vs Mgbako.  I'm not going to begin to pretend I know how Jones would react off the court in a Taco Bell type situation.  What I can compare is what I see from them on the court.  Jones plays with a  purpose and a level of intensity that Mgbako doesn't.  Part of that may come from the fact that Jones is a 5th-year Senior while Mgbako is a Freshman.  That said, I don't get the feel that Mgbako has the type of personality that would be successful starting at a lower-level school and earning a promotion to the big time. 

Do I expect IU to recruit unranked kids out of high school.  No, I don't.  But, I do expect our coaching staff to recognize drive, passion, commitment, and effort.  When two kids have the same general level of skills, the one with the bigger heart.    

this is what's tricky.  people keep saying stars don't matter, but how much confidence do we have that Woodson and staff could pick under the radar guys and have more success than we are now with higher rated guys?  as far as Mtaco, no i don't think the one incident makes him a bad kid, but i do question how Woodson handled it.  admittedly i do not know, but if he hasn't been sufficiently handling situations like that, the Windy City 5, Mario Andretti, the mad nut grabber, etc. it can create a culture where lack of discipline leaks onto the court as well.  

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

For starters the situations that the two are coming from. Everyone wins at Dayton. FAU is a significantly harder situation historically. Also his X’s and O’s are much better than Archie’s. May has also been mentioned by some as the next possible face of college coaches. Archie was never mentioned at that level by anyone. 

i like to hear this and i'm not doubting, but asking... what style does he coach.  i don't plan to start watching FAU games.  uptempo?  3 point friendly i assume?  anything special on D?

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i like to hear this and i'm not doubting, but asking... what style does he coach.  i don't plan to start watching FAU games.  uptempo?  3 point friendly i assume?  anything special on D?

Per this article…he borrows some CMK principles. 

“The principles on offense of playing your man and on defense playing the ball, that’s essentially our philosophy as well,” the 46-year-old May said after the 2023 NCAA Tournament wrapped up. “We incorporate how to read screens, how to read defenders, a lot of the same principles. But we don't run the same motion offense.”

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Dusty May should be the coach we settle with after top choices say no, not the top target, and I don't mean that negatively towards May. 

If a move is made, we should be starting with guys like Beard, Oates and Pearl. And yes, I realize guys don't leave their jobs as much as they used too. 

Bruce Pearl is 63 years old, I believe.   I think people overlook that when throwing his name out there.  It needs to be a factor that is considered.   

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bruce Pearl is 63 years old, I believe.   I think people overlook that when throwing his name out there.  It needs to be a factor that is considered.   

Of course. There are factors with every candidate. That's definitely one with Pearl, for sure. 

47 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Modern systems on both sides of the ball…uptempo….shot 23 3s today, 28 in their last game…pretty typical numbers for them.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

followed by Oates, then maybe May.  

Imo Oates should be ahead of Pearl and Beard. He almost certainly says no, but if we reach out to those 3, I think Oates is the best coach of the 3. His teams are also a ton of fun to watch.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Imo Oates should be ahead of Pearl and Beard. He almost certainly says no, but if we reach out to those 3, I think Oates is the best coach of the 3. His teams are also a ton of fun to watch.

i would be elated with any of those 3.  i'd be happy with May.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Theres been some talk about what next year could look like, in a good way, if everything breaks our way perfectly in the offseason.

Theres been very little talk about what next year might look like if Ware and Mgabko are gone, Liam maybe decides he doesn’t want to be a part of this, and then we strike out on meaningful guard help in the portal. It could be awful next year just as easily as it could be a big rebound.

I am so dreading next year as a fan right now. Painful was a good word choice. 

It will look like Michigan…lot of similarity in the two program coaches and trajectories.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It will look like Michigan…lot of similarity in the two program coaches and trajectories.

The thing is we’re not far off from this year’s team looking like Michigan. Very similar kenpom ratings, the main difference being IU has managed to win almost all of our close games. Credit to the team for winning those games, but it’s not very sustainable. FGCU, Army, Louisville, Michigan, Morehead, OSU x2, and even Iowa very easily could have gone the other way. Kansas and Illinois are really the only close games that didn’t go IU’s way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Modern systems on both sides of the ball…uptempo….shot 23 3s today, 28 in their last game…pretty typical numbers for them.

I’ve heard interviews with May several times down here in FL. His system borrows almost nothing from Bobby Knight. He said as much himself. What he learned from Knight from his own words was how to motivate players, fundamentals, and specially how to run a practice (said there was no break and everything they did had purpose and guys were getting coaching the whole time). He also mentioned just the focus on fundamentals were something you learned at a young age in Indiana and stuck with him….but reitterated several times his system really takes nothing from Bob Knights motion offense.

Not saying all that as a slight…but May his own man when it comes to coaching. Hire him based on those merits and not some feel good tie to Bob Knigjt, IU, and Indiana….they are irrelevant. Our greatest coach in our history had no ties to IU before coming here….just hire the best damn coach we can and get out of his way and let him do his job! I don’t care if he is an alien 👽 and they turn Assembly Hall into a ufo 🛸….get the best coach!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Trilly also said he believes Woodson could choose retirement rather than dealing with the backlash. Big money boosters could also start applying pressure because of May possibly deciding to take another big job this offseason. 

Who is Trilly?  Genuine question because I've never heard of this person until recently.  

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Trilly also said he believes Woodson could choose retirement rather than dealing with the backlash. Big money boosters could also start applying pressure because of May possibly deciding to take another big job this offseason. 

Man, I’m just not sold entirely on May yet. IF we are looking for a coach this spring, I think we have to have a bigger name than him. Beard, Drew, Oates, Pearl all come to mind, and I’m starting to like the idea of Shrews too. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I'm May, I want better opportunity than that.  UL is a massive rebuild.  Even with NIL, that's going to take a while.  

I don’t think so….they can land great recruits, play in a premier conference, and have plenty NIL support. You can win big at UL. IMO it will be the best opening out there if he wants to move on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Man, I’m just not sold entirely on May yet. IF we are looking for a coach this spring, I think we have to have a bigger name than him. Beard, Drew, Oates, Pearl all come to mind, and I’m starting to like the idea of Shrews too. 

forgot about Shrews.  would also take him over Woodson... Beard...Oates...Pearl...Shrews...May

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so...i'd reluctantly take May over Woodson next year, but seems like we'd be running the risk of another Archie Miller.  i get that Beard and Pearl don't seem to fit the squeaky clean preference of our admin, but i'm holding out hope i guess.  if not one of them, is there no realistic candidate that has been a proven winner for a power 5 program?  pretty important that the next hire is the right guy.  back to the other topic - does it seem very likely that if we end 16-16 that Woodson will be frustrated enough and hearing enough from the fans that he'd really consider retiring?  you're getting my hopes up.  i'm assuming he'll give it one more year and it will be miserable and then he'll be done?

No there is not. IU and the high and mighty fans won't allow for a coach with warts like Pearl or Beard. 

IMO our best option for a successful succession is for Dolson to get his ass to Terre Haute and get both Josh Shertz AND Matthew Graves down here.

• Like 1