Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll end my participation in the discussion with this...

If the time comes that Scott Dolson decides Mike Woodson isn't the guy to lead our program, I'll be behind the decision 100%... And I'll get behind whoever it is he decides to hire 100%, even if I have reservations like I did with Sampson...

Until then, GO HOOSIERS! 

Well said. I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes at IU…is it Woodys low energy, is it poor on court leadership, is it poor practice. I can see what I think is the problem but o don’t have enough info to say for certain…I think he gets another year…but if I felt like that was just “fair” and not because I honestly felt he was the right guy…then I wouldn’t bring him back. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Woodson''s buyout after 3 years he would be owed 100% of his remaining contact of 12.6 million. If fired after year 4 buyout is half of remaining contract, which would be 4.2 million. Do the math. Woodson will be back.

Okay one more post from me....

While this is correct, you have to factor in the $4.2M you're paying him to coach next season too. It's really another $8.4M to Mike Woodson to fire him after next season.

So if you don't feel like Mike Woodson is the option, the real choice is paying an extra $4.2M to go ahead and try to find the guy you want now and to give that guy an extra year. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Did they have anything positive to say last year?

Pointing out that Woody benefitted from TJD and JHS is as absurd as me pointing out that two of the pessimists favorites, Musselman and Beard, got smoked last night and their current records aren't exactly glowing. Or bitching about where people sit on the bench for that matter...

People always say we're trying to "shut down the conversation." No I'm not... Converse away... But as I said before, if I see something that's a sham argument, should I just let it stand?

You guys are the ones who don't like pushback on anything you say. No matter how petty or absurd... 

Pushback? I have zero interest in measuring stick contest. Nor do I have any interest or owe anyone an explanation. You can think there is some strange agenda behind my post but you couldn’t be more off base.

If folks don’t think we suck right now then good for them. I could not care any less no matter how much I disagree.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Not surprised at all. 

Terrified at the idea of us losing a bunch to end the season, Malik and Liam dip, Queen goes elsewhere, and we end up with a Maryland type attendance next year as a bottom feeder B10 team. 

BB24F2B1-9BDA-4C6F-98E7-F0A0C92F5ACE.jpeg

That is how fans talk.  Don't show up to boo.  Just don't show up.  The season is over unless this team wins the BTT.  That means none of these 7 remaining games really matter one way or the other.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure that's a good analogy... Baking and basketball are quite a bit different...

And of course a good coach can make a difference... The old "he can take his and beat yours, then take yours and beat his" can apply... 

But Jay Wright doesn't win big without those 3 things... Neither does Self, or Izzo, or Knight for that matter... Coach Knight's greatest team had talent (Benson, May) experience (Buckner, May, Wilkerson, Abernathy), and leadership (Buckner)... That's absolutely what made them great... Did Coach Knight have a great effect on them? Absolutely, but let's just say he didn't have bad eggs and old flour to work with... 

Use your 3 items to explain what Woodson has going for him going into year 4.  I think there are more than those 3, but defend him based on the 3.  I think that is the criteria I would judge him on.  

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is how fans talk.  Don't show up to boo.  Just don't show up.  The season is over unless this team wins the BTT.  That means none of these 7 remaining games really matter one way or the other.

The thing is are Maryland fans staying away to protest something or is it they don't have good fans. Their coach is just is in his second season so I wouldn't think they are done with Willard.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also this site needs to step up because the BTB Fire Woodson thread is already at 100 pages  in less than two weeks

Not anything to be proud of...but I guess I'm happy knowing that BTB (never been to site) has 2x the lunacy. Glad on I'm on the sane site. Go Hoosiers!

• Like 1

I am wondering what are the reasons for the lack of commitments for the class of 24 and beyond. I heard some say that Mullins and Sisley's family loves IU but not the style of play. Is it that they don't want to play for Woodson or is it all the speculation around his job security 

Edited by IU Scott

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering what are the reasons for the lack of commitments for the class of 24 and beyond. I heard some say that Mullins and Sisley's family loves IU but not the style of play. Is it that they don't want to play for Woodson or is it all the speculation around his job security 

Yes. 

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is are Maryland fans staying away to protest something or is it they don't have good fans. Their coach is just is in his second season so I wouldn't think they are done with Willard.

Maryland is a good parallel to what has happened at Indiana.  Sometimes, new guy or not, if you start to fall off, the previous guy's poor results end up clouding how people view you.

The "Here we go again..." phenomenon is very real.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can be good fans and not go watch a poor product. Too expensive these days to waste money on bad entertainment.

As far as this site having less fan involvement. I think we have a lot not posting because of apathy….and I don’t blame them. Setting in for myself as well. IU needs a wake up call…and it will happen sooner rather than later…pocket book for many is getting stretched thin…they have only so much discretionary income and will allocate it where it brings them the most happiness.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also this site needs to step up because the BTB Fire Woodson thread is already at 100 pages  in less than two weeks

I think the negative sentiment is higher on that site than here.  And those of us who are trending negative here tend to soft sell that because it really bothers some people.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think it has as much to do with the coaches job security (i am sure it has some impact) and more to the style of play.  Guards and Wings are not highlighted in our current offense.  I can see why they wouldn't want to play in that style.  Also, winning goes along way to making competitive kids want to play for a winning product.  Win games and play a style that showcases guards and wings and i could see our recruiting jumping significantly in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It’s a double edged sword in my opinion.

I agree that if fans don’t show up, Dolson will have to make moves because he can’t have a “dead man walking” as a coach and a quarter filled Assembly Hall all next year.

On the other hand, my gut says it’s important to continue to show love and support for this team until the season ends. Could be the difference in keeping some vital pieces (Malik, Liam) and adding some in the portal. Plus, if we did want to hire a new coach this off-season, the pitch becomes easier because you can say, “look at the passion and loyalty our fans show with a below average team. Imagine the atmosphere and NIL donations you’ll get when you return this program to winning tradition.” You can “negative recruit” against Ohio St, Michigan, Louisville, etc and claim these programs just have “fair weather fans”.

Edited by Hoosierdave
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No. Especially the last two points. They won't be committing to a school anytime soon. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

It’s a double edged sword in my opinion.

I agree that if fans don’t show up, Dolson will have to make moves because he can’t have a “dead man walking” as a coach and a quarter filled Assembly Hall all next year.

On the other hand, my gut says it’s important to continue to show love and support for this team until the season ends. Could be the difference in keeping some vital pieces (Malik, Liam) and adding some in the portal. Plus, if we did want to hire a new coach this off-season, the pitch becomes easier because you can say, “look at the passion and loyalty our fans show with a below average team. Imagine the atmosphere and NIL donations you’ll get when you return this program to winning tradition.” You can “negative recruit” against Ohio St, Michigan, Louisville and claim these programs just have “fair weather fans”.

Indiana has shown over the past 2 decades that they are more than willing to collect money for bad play until they get embarrassed by the fans.  Indiana fans are "toxic" because this school ALWAYS goes one more year.  

5 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Next BOT meeting is 2/29 :coffee:

image.thumb.png.b30590fd953bb6428e102cea34a314cd.png

Bring your signs and leaflets just leave your poles and sticks at home 

@IU Scott Their email address is there for you as well

That’s interesting…but if the meeting is in a room that holds say 15 people and there are 12 board members how exactly is the public to attend? Not saying that is how it’s done but just wondering if these are really “public” or not.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s interesting…but if the meeting is in a room that holds say 15 people and there are 12 board members how exactly is the public to attend? Not saying that is how it’s done but just wondering if these are really “public” or not.

https://trustees.iu.edu/meetings-minutes/meeting-schedule-future-dates.html

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Indiana has shown over the past 2 decades that they are more than willing to collect money for bad play until they get embarrassed by the fans.  Indiana fans are "toxic" because this school ALWAYS goes one more year.  

To clarify, I don’t think our fans are “toxic”. I think quite the opposite, in fact- I think our fans have been the only thing preventing this from crumbling a long time ago. I would just hate for guys like Malik and Liam to feel like everyone’s given up on this team and staff, and guys like Haralson/Sisley/Mullins/Moreno show up for games and the vibes are depressing.  

Wish I had a crystal ball lol because I would also agree with the argument that Woody staying around could be the direct reason why Malik/Liam and the 2025 recruits go elsewhere. 

Disheartening all around. 

• Like 2