Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But I hate to even think what this place is going to be like when it's confirmed he'll be back next year (which, unless he quits, and I don't think for a second Mike Woodson is a quitter, is going to be the case)...

We've already lost a couple of long time posters over the constant negativity...And I think we'll lose more...

Me? Not going anywhere...Sorry :) 

I think once it's confirmed that he'll be back next year, which I fully expect, there will initially be a negative response. Then, I think it will trend more toward resignation and apathy. CMW will be on every Hot Seat list that gets published in the offseason. Year 4 will be viewed as a lame duck year. 

Then it will be a steady drip drip of some unexpected transfers (Malik?) and failure to fill needs in the portal. There will be hype over portal players they're contacting, but those players will end up signing elsewhere. 

IU will be a preseason pick for the bottom half of the B1G. Ticket sales will fall off as will attendance. Every game will be a referendum on the coach. After the first double-digit loss, the media will be openly hostile and the fans will either be in revolt or will have checked out. 

Hope I'm wrong. None of this is good for the program. However, this season was totally foreseeable last spring. They made mistakes with roster construction, so that was baked in the cake. But, what's worse is the lack of improvement in the team over the course of the season. 

They're just in a box where they look bad if they fire CMW, but are probably looking at a really bad year if he stays. Looking just as foreseeable, at this point, as this season. 

Could they turn things around the rest of this season and change the outlook for the offseason? Anything's possible. However, having eight days to prepare for an undermanned NW team that was coming off of travel and a short rest (with one previous B1G road win) and getting carved up, doesn't give confidence for the remaining games. 

From the IDS:

How, after being given eight days to regroup following a 20-point loss to rival Purdue, can the Hoosiers come out less energized than a Wildcats squad that played three days prior? 

Perhaps more pressing, how can it keep happening? 

Indiana has trailed by double digits in each of its past four games, and if it hadn’t sparked an improbable 18-point comeback against Ohio State on Feb. 6, it would be winless in February. 

Freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako, who scored 19 points in the second half en route to a career-high 20, moved to the power forward spot as Indiana went for a small-ball lineup. 

An offensive outburst followed, and Woodson said the lineup is something to consider moving forward — but there are only six regular season games left. Indiana shouldn’t need to search for new personnel groupings in the middle of February. 

But in a season of have-not's and could’ve-been’s, Woodson’s pursuit of a new result feels far too little, far too late — and Indiana’s uncompetitive campaign appears to have as much life as the team showed for the first 35 minutes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...

My point in the whole thing is, what was a good shot for Alford was waaaay more expanded than it was for say Darryl Thomas, or even Keith Smart...So of course he took more shots, but he did it within the flow of RMK's offense...

And the end of the NC game, it wasn't drawn up for Alford...they simply ran the offense and Smart had the first good look...

Actually if you listen to Darryl Thomas in an interview and said the ball was supposed to go to Steve. They just couldn't get him an open look 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...

My point in the whole thing is, what was a good shot for Alford was waaaay more expanded than it was for say Darryl Thomas, or even Keith Smart...So of course he took more shots, but he did it within the flow of RMK's offense...

And the end of the NC game, it wasn't drawn up for Alford...they simply ran the offense and Smart had the first good look...

The point is RMK ran things to get guys open shots instead of just putting them in the corner waiting for the ball to be passed out

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think once it's confirmed that he'll be back next year, which I fully expect, there will initially be a negative response. Then, I think it will trend more toward resignation and apathy. CMW will be on every Hot Seat list that gets published in the offseason. Year 4 will be viewed as a lame duck year. 

Then it will be a steady drip drip of some unexpected transfers (Malik?) and failure to fill needs in the portal. There will be hype over portal players they're contacting, but those players will end up signing elsewhere. 

IU will be a preseason pick for the bottom half of the B1G. Ticket sales will fall off as will attendance. Every game will be a referendum on the coach. After the first double-digit loss, the media will be openly hostile and the fans will either be in revolt or will have checked out. 

Hope I'm wrong. None of this is good for the program. However, this season was totally foreseeable last spring. They made mistakes with roster construction, so that was baked in the cake. But, what's worse is the lack of improvement in the team over the course of the season. 

They're just in a box where they look bad if they fire CMW, but are probably looking at a really bad year if he stays. Looking just as foreseeable, at this point, as this season. 

Could they turn things around the rest of this season and change the outlook for the offseason? Anything's possible. However, having eight days to prepare for an undermanned NW team that was coming off of travel and a short rest (with one previous B1G road win) and getting carved up, doesn't give confidence for the remaining games. 

From the IDS:

How, after being given eight days to regroup following a 20-point loss to rival Purdue, can the Hoosiers come out less energized than a Wildcats squad that played three days prior? 

Perhaps more pressing, how can it keep happening? 

Indiana has trailed by double digits in each of its past four games, and if it hadn’t sparked an improbable 18-point comeback against Ohio State on Feb. 6, it would be winless in February. 

Freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako, who scored 19 points in the second half en route to a career-high 20, moved to the power forward spot as Indiana went for a small-ball lineup. 

An offensive outburst followed, and Woodson said the lineup is something to consider moving forward — but there are only six regular season games left. Indiana shouldn’t need to search for new personnel groupings in the middle of February. 

But in a season of have-not's and could’ve-been’s, Woodson’s pursuit of a new result feels far too little, far too late — and Indiana’s uncompetitive campaign appears to have as much life as the team showed for the first 35 minutes. 

Everyone will kind of hope they figure it out but expect them not to.  It will be a real "show me" season.  The problem that always crops up on those types of seasons is that at the first sign of trouble, everyone bails hard.

I am kind of resigned to the idea that he is going to be back next year.  So I guess I hope he draws an inside straight for next year.  That is our hope.  If he doesn't, our AD really screwed the pooch on keeping him around another year.  There are program building in state guys available in that 2025 class and it is going to be hard to land them.  Recruiting for 2025 will be an uphill struggle for a staff currently sitting on 1 2024 recruit.  The portal isn't how you build stability and Woodson has already put doubt onto his tenure length in the best of conditions, "I don't know if I will coach into my 70's..." (paraphrased).  He will be 66 next month.  If keeping him around goes bad you aren't looking at 13 to 14 months to see improvement you are talking several more years (at least 2) of portal diving.

I hope Scott gets fired with Mike if this is what we are going to do.  This was a stupid hire to begin with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Everyone will kind of hope they figure it out but expect them not to.  It will be a real "show me" season.  The problem that always crops up on those types of seasons is that at the first sign of trouble, everyone bails hard.

I am kind of resigned to the idea that he is going to be back next year.  So I guess I hope he draws an inside straight for next year.  That is our hope.  If he doesn't, our AD really screwed the pooch on keeping him around another year.  There are program building in state guys available in that 2025 class and it is going to be hard to land them.  Recruiting for 2025 will be an uphill struggle for a staff currently sitting on 1 2024 recruit.  The portal isn't how you build stability and Woodson has already put doubt onto his tenure length in the best of conditions, "I don't know if I will coach into my 70's..." (paraphrased).  He will be 66 next month.  If keeping him around goes bad you aren't looking at 13 to 14 months to see improvement you are talking several more years (at least 2) of portal diving.

I hope Scott gets fired with Mike if this is what we are going to do.  This was a stupid hire to begin with.

WOah woah--- if Dolson hit on Cignetti--- no. keep him. 

• Like 2

Really good article that discusses the good and the bad of Woodson's tenure thus far from Tony Andragna.

The good:

• Tournament Berths
  • Talent Retention/Accumulation
  • Pro Pipeline
  • Player's Coach
  • Returning to the National Stage (playing in big time non-conference matchups)

The bad:

• Style of play - offense (extremely high level of post ups, extremely high level of long two's despite awful percentages, extremely low percentage of three point attempts)
  • Defensive Decline YoY
  • Roster Construction
  • NBA Philosophies: second units, not adjusting to shorter seasons and how quick he needs to adjust
  • Lack of Identity
  • Rebounding Numbers Declining YoY
  • Recruiting Philosophy
  • Insulation From Outside Perspectives
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

WOah woah--- if Dolson hit on Cignetti--- no. keep him. 

If next year doesn't work out, I would go scorched earth in the AD.  It won't happen but there would be a bunch of unemployed people with Mike.

As far as I am concerned, Dolson is just an extension of the group that    ------ this all up to begin with.  Cignetti hasn't won one game yet.  I like the hire but that isn't enough to save Dolson if I am in charge and this goes like I think it will.  He is gambling another few years of bad ball on next year.  I would increase the ante to his job along with it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Is true that Quinn Buckner is the reason Steve Alford has never been hired?

Steve Alford is just a mid major coach.  He is better at that level where he has failed at two P5 programs. He also has the baggage of two GF beaters that he stuck up for and won’t be given the job.  Would be a bad hire and would cause a lot of friction again which this program doesn’t need.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Agree, this the kind of year to feast and get a great seed or even win the BTT for the first time.

Hell-- we could still make a run in the BTT. I didn't say it was likely, but just the league sucks that bad lol Play half these teams, the first to 60 wins. Idk-- our league is hard to watch, and we're a big part of that. 

B1G hasn't won a title since 2002? 03? something like that. That's on us, mostly. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Hell-- we could still make a run in the BTT. I didn't say it was likely, but just the league sucks that bad lol Play half these teams, the first to 60 wins. Idk-- our league is hard to watch, and we're a big part of that. 

B1G hasn't won a title since 2002? 03? something like that. That's on us, mostly. 

Yes there is a chance, but its very very unlikely we win the BTT.  We could, but its more likely we lose the first game honestly.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yes there is a chance, but its very very unlikely we win the BTT.  We could, but its more likely we lose the first game honestly.

If we were to win the BTT it would be the most unlikeliest of Cinderella stories ever told.

• Like 4

Ok so let’s all take a vote. 
option A - Fire Woodson now and hope you keep Liam and Queen (if he commits) plus MM doesn’t transfer and hope your new coach 

option B - keep Woodson and the following players come in ‘24 - McNeeley, Queen, and some legit guards and ‘25 - Sisley, Mullins, Haralson, Moreno. 

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

option A - Fire Woodson now and hope you keep Liam and Queen (if he commits) plus MM doesn’t transfer and hope your new coach 

option B - keep Woodson and the following players come in ‘24 - McNeeley, Queen, and some legit guards and ‘25 - Sisley, Mullins, Haralson, Moreno. 

If nothing changes in the next 3 weeks, Option A. And I don't particularly player what players stay or go in that scenario. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Fire Woodson, make Calbert head coach for the remainder of the season. Go on a huge run and win the btt and make the ff. stuff dreams are made of. i would settle for the first two words. :coffee:

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

easy A. woodson just said he might not coach into his 70's. kids in 25 and 26 are reading that.

• Like 1