Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

40 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Ok so let’s all take a vote. 
option A - Fire Woodson now and hope you keep Liam and Queen (if he commits) plus MM doesn’t transfer and hope your new coach 

option B - keep Woodson and the following players come in ‘24 - McNeeley, Queen, and some legit guards and ‘25 - Sisley, Mullins, Haralson, Moreno. 

Easy. Option B. Am I happy with this year? No. Do I think our best chance of snapping back quickly is with Woodson and the recruits you mentioned? Absolutely. Assessing all sides of things between the last 2 years, what we would have coming in next, portal, and the relationships Woodson has with the 25 guys you bring him back. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Easy. Option B. Am I happy with this year? No. Do I think our best chance of snapping back quickly is with Woodson and the recruits you mentioned? Absolutely. Assessing all sides of things between the last 2 years, what we would have coming in next, portal, and the relationships Woodson has with the 25 guys you bring him back. 

Honest questions, do we have any traction currently with any '25 kids?  Are we leading for anyone?  I don't pay attention to recruiting.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Honest questions, do we have any traction currently with any '25 kids?  Are we leading for anyone?  I don't pay attention to recruiting.

Yes. Specifically the 4 that were mentioned as far as I've heard. The only that I'm not sure on is BM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

option A - Fire Woodson now and hope you keep Liam and Queen (if he commits) plus MM doesn’t transfer and hope your new coach 

option B - keep Woodson and the following players come in ‘24 - McNeeley, Queen, and some legit guards and ‘25 - Sisley, Mullins, Haralson, Moreno. 

A.

I think you have a much better chance at landing Sisley and Mullins if Woodson isn't the coach. In fact I think the only reason those two remain uncommitted is due to the fact that Woodson is still the head coach. As far as Haralason and Moreno go...I don't think Haralson cares who his college coach is, I think he's an NIL chaser and wants to play somewhere that will guarantee him 35 mpg. It's going to be tough to beat out UK for Moreno whoever the head coach is, that won't change. 

24 is a lost cause regardless of what McNeeley and possibly Queen decide to do. Woodson ain't landing 2-3 top quality guards in the portal and in the event he does he wouldn't know how to use them anyway. I'd sacrifice McNeeley, MM, and even Reneau for the 2024 season because the 2024 season is going to be forgettable as is. Get out in front of it now and try and salvage what you can with the 2025 class. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Woodson ain't landing 2-3 top quality guards in the portal and in the event he does he wouldn't know how to use them anyway. 

So JHS was a mirage? Woodson gets zero credit for any development? Nor any credit for a healthy X down the stretch in 22? 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So JHS was a mirage? Woodson gets zero credit for any development? Nor any credit for a healthy X down the stretch in 22? 

We had lottery pick guard and a 2x AA and went 12-8 in a bad Big Ten and lost by 20 points in the 2nd round of the tournament.

A healthy X and we limped into the play-in game.

Color me unimpressed.

Credit Woodson all you want, but IU needs at least 2, if not 3 perimeter players next year for Indiana to even be competitive. He went into this year thinking TG and Xavier Johnson was a B10 caliber backcourt and left a scholarship open in the process. Being able to identify 1 guard is fine, but 2 or 3?? No shot.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

we arent getting any 25 kids if we keep Woodson. He wont be around to see them graduate. why would you come here knowing your coach will be retiring while you are here?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Everyone will kind of hope they figure it out but expect them not to.  It will be a real "show me" season.  The problem that always crops up on those types of seasons is that at the first sign of trouble, everyone bails hard.

I am kind of resigned to the idea that he is going to be back next year.  So I guess I hope he draws an inside straight for next year.  That is our hope.  If he doesn't, our AD really screwed the pooch on keeping him around another year.  There are program building in state guys available in that 2025 class and it is going to be hard to land them.  Recruiting for 2025 will be an uphill struggle for a staff currently sitting on 1 2024 recruit.  The portal isn't how you build stability and Woodson has already put doubt onto his tenure length in the best of conditions, "I don't know if I will coach into my 70's..." (paraphrased).  He will be 66 next month.  If keeping him around goes bad you aren't looking at 13 to 14 months to see improvement you are talking several more years (at least 2) of portal diving.

I hope Scott gets fired with Mike if this is what we are going to do.  This was a stupid hire to begin with.

I got the feeling this isn't a Dolson call at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Option A for me please

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If XJ doesn't get injured, I'm not sure JHS would have been a first round pick. But it was clear by at least mid conference season that he was not only a first round pick, but potentially a lottery pick. 

keep saying this.  Woodson would have held him back.

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

At this point option B isn’t really what the keep Woodson scenario looks like though since 5 of those 6 guys aren’t committed. I’m also not sure how we could expect legit guards to come in for ‘24 when that’s exactly what we needed this last offseason and we whiffed. Honestly, if all of those guys were committed, I’d bet there would be a little less heat on Woodson since there would be something to point to.

One thing I'd like about Dusty May.

I feel like Cupps, Galloway, Newton, McNeely, Reneau, Sisley, Mullins. These kind of guys would want to play for him.

Dusty is offensive minded and very likable guy. I think he'd recruit at least at a Matt Painter level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I definitely give Woodson credit for getting JHS and turning over the reigns to him once XJ got injured. But I honestly don’t think the staff did a great job or developing and maximizing his talents. They should have got JHS comfortable shooting threes and attacking the rim instead of letting him shoot so many pull up midrange twos. He had the worst effective field goal percentage and true shooting percentage on the team last year, and it’s solely because of the way he was used.

And with XJ, I really am not going to give anyone credit because he had a good 7 game stretch 2 years ago. Part of XJ not living up to the potential he showed in those 7 games is injury related. Even still, it’s hard to say he’s developed at IU when his best statistical season was his last year at Pitt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I definitely give Woodson credit for getting JHS and turning over the reigns to him once XJ got injured. But I honestly don’t think the staff did a great job or developing and maximizing his talents. They should have got JHS comfortable shooting threes and attacking the rim instead of letting him shoot so many pull up midrange twos. He had the worst effective field goal percentage and true shooting percentage on the team last year, and it’s solely because of the way he was used.

And with XJ, I really am not going to give anyone credit because he had a good 7 game stretch 2 years ago. Part of XJ not living up to the potential he showed in those 7 games is injury related. Even still, it’s hard to say he’s developed at IU when his best statistical season was his last year at Pitt.

Yeah I really hated all of those mid range shots that beat Purdue twice last year. I just wish people would just look at these advance analytics and thinking they are gospel.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah I really hated all of those mid range shots that beat Purdue twice last year. I just wish people would just look at these advance analytics and thinking they are gospel.

Beating Purdue last year was nice. No one will deny that, even with a career performance against Purdue, JHS was still one of the least efficient players in the B10 last year. And that isn’t really the fault of JHS either. But IU’s backcourt was heavily exposed against Miami in a game where JHS was maybe the 4th or 5th best guard on the floor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah, it worked in those games. But you’re not mentioning at Maryland where it killed any chance we had in that game, or at PSU, or home vs Iowa. It’s easy to remember the good, but you’re missing the bad. Again, I think it’s an issue of offensive scheme, not anything in particular with JHS.

• Like 3

If Woodson is coming back there has to be some stipulations on some changes that needs to be made.

1) We need to upgrade or start a front office type staff for recruiting and the portal.

2) Make a change in the coaching staff, fire Hunter. Ya and the other coach have been the better recruiters. Need to bring in an assistant with former college HC experience. Need a player developer and a good teacher if the game.

3) Fire Cliff Marshall. I am tired of seeing before and after pictures of the players. He has been here 7 years and the shooting has been horrible including free throw shooting. We also have a lot of I juries during this time as well. Not blaming him solely but it is time for a change and try something different.

4) Change the type of players you are recruiting and look at players who actually know how to play the game. Just don't recruit for athletic traits and star ratings.

5) Get a more modern approach to the game on the offensive side of court. Recruit shooters and actually get them good looks and stop putting them in the corners.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Sounds like Woodson isn’t going anywhere based on his recent comments… f***

of course not....free $4.2 million for nothing but a couple hours out of your day a few times a week. sign me up. you would have to carry me out kicking and screaming. lol.

3 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Yeah, it worked in those games. But you’re not mentioning at Maryland where it killed any chance we had in that game, or at PSU, or home vs Iowa. It’s easy to remember the good, but you’re missing the bad. Again, I think it’s an issue of offensive scheme, not anything in particular with JHS.

I am just saying the analytics are taking half of the court away from the game. An open 15 shot should be one of the easiest shots in basketball.  Luckily for Calbert that they didn't use analytics when played. He would have never been the big ten all time leading scorer 

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am just saying the analytics are taking half of the court away from the game. An open 15 shot should be one of the easiest shots in basketball.  Luckily for Calbert that they didn't use analytics when played. He would have never been the big ten all time leading scorer 

If I had to guess which poster on this board understood analytics the least, you would have been my #1 choice. Luckily I don’t have to guess.