Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Style of play and things like that get discussed a lot in this thread, but the thing that has me the most nervous is recruiting.

We really needed a class of 3-4 HS guys next year including guards. We have one guy, who is awesome, but we need more. I love the moxie to go for the top guys, but when you miss on them who is your plan B?  We can’t just go portal diving every year for 6-7 guys or always bank on getting a decommitted player.   Gunn and Banks being misses, whether mis-evaluated or underdeveloped (I have no energy to debate which and I don’t care, both are bad) really hurts us going into next year. That’s two upperclassmen we should be counting on in their third year. 

When Ya and Kenya said you have to work your way up to recruiting some of these guys (not the exact words but the sentiment) maybe he should have heeded that a little more. 

We are all chips in on the portal to fill out a competitive roster. I hope for Woody’s sake, the program’s sake, and the fans’ sake he pulls it off. It’s not being contradictory of me to say I desperately want it to happen, but I have serious doubts it does. 

With all my heart, Go Hoosiers. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Style of play and things like that get discussed a lot in this thread, but the thing that has me the most nervous is recruiting.

We really needed a class of 3-4 HS guys next year including guards. We have one guy, who is awesome, but we need more. I love the moxie to go for the top guys, but when you miss on them who is your plan B?  We can’t just go portal diving every year for 6-7 guys or always bank on getting a decommitted player.   Gunn and Banks being misses, whether mis-evaluated or underdeveloped (I have no energy to debate which and I don’t care, both are bad) really hurts us going into next year. That’s two upperclassmen we should be counting on in their third year. 

When Ya and Kenya said you have to work your way up to recruiting some of these guys (not the exact words but the sentiment) maybe he should have heeded that a little more. 

We are all chips in on the portal to fill out a competitive roster. I hope for Woody’s sake, the program’s sake, and the fans’ sake he pulls it off. It’s not being contradictory of me to say I desperately want it to happen, but I have serious doubts it does. 

With all my heart, Go Hoosiers. 

There's a coach in southern Florida who desperately wants the job, currently has a top 25 team, and could literally bring his entire starting 5 to Bloomington next season like Coach Cig.  

It's such a no brainer that even the Indiana administration couldn't possibly mess it up.  We're gonna be fine fellas.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

My friend, fan expectations are what fund this Athletic department. The portal is keeping us a float it appears. Crean and all fans would have killed for the portal in his first few years. But Crean and Woody are totally different. Crean had Baseball players playing. Woody is loaded with 4 and 5 star guys he cant do anything with. expectations were way different. . I dont remember guys calling for Crean to be gone in year 2, i've been in a coma since then, i will take your word for it, those people were dumb. But if we ever lose the expectation to win every year close the doors. I know we are on the opposite side on this debate but i respect your views all the same.

No problem or worries either way. Crean was a guy I loved and agree he would have loved the portal. With that said he went 3 years...with 8 conference wins. 3 years. Coach Woodson has taken over from end of Crean to total miss on Archie and delivered b2b tourneys. Again I know expectations are great...but realistic is also great.

We've messed this program up going on 30 years. I would hope we give the 5th head Coach in 20+ years 30 months. Just my 2 cents. Go Hoosiers!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes and no. Yes because of portal. No because of fan expectations. I remember conversations with those close that wanted Crean gone in year 2 because zero progress was being made. One common denominator remains the constant. Expectations. 

I know there are different circles of IU fans, but I remember the early Crean years very well and most of my friends and family are IU fans. I don’t remember a single person wanting him gone, and I remember just about everyone being pleased with the direction he had the program going.

Crean took over a dumpster fire with a self imposed death penalty and was playing walk ons, and most IU fans understood it would take time. Woodson took over a top 50 kenpom team returning an all time IU player.

• Like 3

I am fully on board the Fire Woodson train. He isn’t anywhere near as active as he needs to be in recruiting. He has lost the current team. I’m tired of hearing the same sh*t after every game. He just isn’t the guy. He will never bring Indiana to the heights we all desire. Get it over with after this season. Go get somebody that you know will turn it around and quickly. There is a good list of candidates that can get this thing humming fast.

• Like 8

Email sent to the BOT 

I have been a fan of IU basketball my whole life (53 years old). This year's basketball team is the most embarrassing team in my lifetime. They play with no emotion or passion which comes from their 66 year old coach. Coach Woodson acts like he is bored on the sidelines and just there for the pay check. 

This year's performance is totally unacceptable and can't keep going this way. It is time for you guys to do your job and actually try to put IU basketball back to where it should be. It is time that to fire Coach Woodson and bring in actual college coach who knows the college game. It is apparent since day 1 that Woodson is not cut out to coach college basketball. I hated the hire when it happened but was going to give it a chance but that chance is over. The only reason he has this job is because he is buddies with Quinn Buckner. No other college program would have ever hired Woodson as their coach

Sincerely
Scott Roberts
Class of 1995