Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

1. Pearl 

2. May

3. Oats

Dolson wants to move on but trying to BOT on board with move and get the funds. 

100% speculation 

I haven't heard Oats mentioned at all and I highly doubt he'd leave Alabama until UK eventually comes calling. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Your bottom two are not very accurate. How many starting guards in the BIG do they outperform? For Cupps, the answer is probably zero.

Gallo is a fringe starter on just about every team in the conference. If he's able to play the role the excels in, any team would gladly take him.

I don't think this system does any favors for Cupps. His job is to dribble up the court and pass it into the interior. it doesn't create spot up 3's for him. He doesn't get help on the defensive end because we can't rotate. I think he's a Freshman, who will ultimately be a valuable asset though. Are you saying he's not performing like a 3 star freshman? That's not really a high bar. I don't think a 2 star sees the court no matter how bad we need him. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What does this tweet show us? 

a couple of things. Woodson can recruit but cant coach. Woodson and scouting services cant evaluate talent and Woodson cant coach. Or the players are lazy and Woodson cant coach. pick one or maybe all are true.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Coach is the most important player in a program.  You can have the most talent on paper but if that talent doesn't fit what you are trying to do, it doesn't matter.

Also, Indiana has a bad habit of doing the least with the most or near the most.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Gallo is a fringe starter on just about every team in the conference. If he's able to play the role the excels in, any team would gladly take him.

I don't think this system does any favors for Cupps. His job is to dribble up the court and pass it into the interior. it doesn't create spot up 3's for him. He doesn't get help on the defensive end because we can't rotate. I think he's a Freshman, who will ultimately be a valuable asset though. Are you saying he's not performing like a 3 star freshman? That's not really a high bar. I don't think a 2 star sees the court no matter how bad we need him. 

A fringe starter as a senior is essentially the definition of a 3 star, and that’s not meant as a knock at Gallo. But he’s tailor made to be a 6th man type who brings energy off the bench and isn’t asked to carry an offense like he’s been asked to do for IU this year.

And I don’t think Cupps has looked like a 3 star at all. I’d consider a 3 star talent roughly a top 150 player in their class. Using Torviks PRPG! ranking - which is essentially offensive rating weighted for usage and minutes - he has Cupps ranked as the 445th out of 452 freshmen who have played at least 20% of their team’s minutes. A lot of freshman struggle more than you think they would, so it’s not like he can’t get better next year. But he hasn’t looked like a player who was ready for college level basketball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Before we say stars don't mean anything.....

-Ware is individually playing like a 5 star
-Malik is individually playing like a 5 star (although he may have been a 4 star out of high school)
-Mgbako is working his way up to individually playing like a 5 star (highest freshman ppg), but let's say he's playing like a 4 star for the sake of argument. 
-I'd say Cupps is playing like a 3 star. 
-I'd say Gallo is playing like a 4 star. 

That's our starting line up. I don't necessarily think there's a disconnect in the rankings as much as there's a disconnect in the system. 

And people playing out of position. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The big boosters had a get together to raise money and discuss some things. Woodson and the basketball program was a topic of discussion. Cuban was in town for the Pacers and Mavs game so it was a good time to get people together. 

Cuban was in Bloomington and stayed at the Union this weekend. That’s a fact but other than that who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

To add more fuel to this dumpster fire of a season and just another kick in the balls to all of IU fans, Houston Ranked #1 and Purdue #2 and yet we cannot even get our program into the top 25 and both have been ranked in the top 5 each of the past 3 seasons. Somehow Sampson replaced a lottery pick without falling off the map. HUH who would of thunk it. IU basketball has me hating all college basketball right now. without hope of the tourney not much for this Hoosier fan to get excited about with college basketball. 

I have a lot of jealousy right now.....

2 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Woodson's quotes just now in his presser were absolutely pathetic. This one especially:

“It would have been nice to have Xavier Johnson. … Every year I’ve coached, when things don’t go well, I point the finger at me.”

Woodson says he doesn’t blame the players and adds, “but I don’t miss wide open shots. I don’t miss free throws.”

Sad.  Who wants to play for a coach who won’t take responsibility?!

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Cuban was in Bloomington and stayed at the Union this weekend. That’s a fact but other than that who knows.

I was wondering the significance (if any) about that. I was in Bloomington this weekend for a campus tour for my son and just missed him at our hotel, the Graduate (nice hotel btw). My wife got on an elevator with a woman that had just taken a photo with him who was so excited to show her. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

A fringe starter as a senior is essentially the definition of a 3 star, and that’s not meant as a knock at Gallo. But he’s tailor made to be a 6th man type who brings energy off the bench and isn’t asked to carry an offense like he’s been asked to do for IU this year.

And I don’t think Cupps has looked like a 3 star at all. I’d consider a 3 star talent roughly a top 150 player in their class. Using Torviks PRPG! ranking - which is essentially offensive rating weighted for usage and minutes - he has Cupps ranked as the 445th out of 452 freshmen who have played at least 20% of their team’s minutes. A lot of freshman struggle more than you think they would, so it’s not like he can’t get better next year. But he hasn’t looked like a player who was ready for college level basketball.

That's an interesting stat for Cupps. I do believe that he has a very low usage rate because he doesn't get used in the offense. He dribbles the ball up court, passes it and rarely gets it back. So, I'll concede. 

Regarding Trey, it depends on the role he's playing on a team. Put 2 shooters next to him and he's going create a lot mis-matches for the opponent. He'd find a LOT of minutes no matter the system. Find the right system and I believe he's a second or third team all Big Ten. But that's hypotheticals. 

I'm getting into the weed's though. The overall point is that WE HAVE TALENT. It's not put together nicely, but it's enough talent to be WAY more competitive. We're not dealing with a team of walk-ons here. Two players could make it to the NBA. A few more could be pros in Europe.

And we are sitting at the bottom of the B1G and are getting blown out by PSU. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John S said:

Sad.  Who wants to play for a coach who won’t take responsibility?!

i guess its our fault they suck. yes its the fans, who give their money to guys like this. its the POS fans that make this team the worst team in the Big Ten. Stop giving NIL money to a losing cause until it changes. Football only NIL is up 500%.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Ok. I’ll stick to the NFL thread. 

It’s all good…people are raw right now…last season ended horribly and this year we never stood a chance. Just tired and we all deserve better but we roll out predictable hires with predictable results. I’d say the ncaa thread is fine but once you get into the coaching complaints thread it’s going to be especially dicey especially since you guys have your answer at Coach and enjoying your glory days…most successful run. A lot of raw nerves around here and for good reason.

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

i guess its our fault they suck. yes its the fans, who give their money to guys like this. its the POS fans that make this team the worst team in the Big Ten. Stop giving NIL money to a losing cause until it changes. Football only NIL is up 500%.

To be fair it isn’t his either…he was brought in to be a rotational piece…that said it’s a new world for college basketball. These kids aren’t amateurs anymore. They are getting paid to perform. They want the money…they will get the criticism that comes with not living up to those expectations. It’s a double edged sword.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Exactly.  The star system is superficial at best.  While I dislike our system, our on-paper talent is a myth.   Labeling someone a five star is a gross oversimplification.  

It’s both the players and the coaching.   If our talent was as good as people say it is, it could cover up the coaching.  You’ve seen that time and again where crappy coaches go far.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3