Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For the he must go now crowd. Look at who we've been on for a couple years in recruiting. For the main 4-5 guys in 25 if I said we would land 4 of them because of the kids/families belief in Woodson, appeal of IU, NIL... would that make you give pause to the he must leave now?

Or do you think a new coach could come in and pick things right up and recruit Haralson, Sisley, Mullins, Brown,etc....

Disappointing year but it is a factor. So is hiring and firing every single 4 year cycle. These are factors that have to be considered. I mean the only reason a guy like May would come here is because of his history....and the same for Pearl but otherwise this job (because of the hiring and firing) has lost it's appeal. For 20 years it's been a Coaching cemetery. That cycle has to stop. 

My friend we heard this about the 24 class and we are 1 for 32 offers. Who cares about the 25 offers really. A new coach will be able to get guys.

7 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’m basically lurking in this thread in the hopes of seeing an insider give me reason to believe something it brewing 

….how ‘bout this for something brewing? 
 I just polished off two plates of hot, homemade sloppy joe, drizzled over crispy tater tots with cheese sprinkled over that. My wife’s gonna love me…. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Reminds me of Terone Johnson after Hummel, Moore and Johnson were gone. Really good as the 3rd perimeter option, struggled as the 1st perimeter option.

Not his fault, just like it’s not Galloways fault. 

To me, the ideal lineup would have been TG at the 3, Mack at the 4, KW at the 5, with Reneau backing up at the 4 and 5. That way his defense is less exposed going against other backups. 

And then 2 portal guards at the 1 and 2, after letting X go. With Cupps, Leal and Gunn backing up 1-3. 

Who?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am hoping guys like @IUFLA or @Seeking6 will answer this, because if someone doesn't want Woodson back then their answer to this is probably not super relevant....

What is a reasonable expectation for what next year needs to look like to convince you that we are heading in the right direction? Does anything with the remainder of this season, the offseason, etc play into that, and if so, what are those factors?

Anyone can answer that, but I am most interested in the opinion of folks that think Woodson should be back. 

and i'm interested in what would give anyone confidence that Woodson is the guy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

If Woodson is retained I legitimately could see Cupps, Reneau, and Sparks being the only 3 back. Throw in Newton who is on scholarship and then McNeeley and you’d need to fill 8 scholarships. 

C- portal

PF- Reneau

SF- McNeeley

SG- portal

PG- portal

Would be an absolute train wreck of a season next year.

Yeah, we’re trending toward Patrick Ewing at Georgetown level of bad. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree or disagree, the argument can be made that there wasn't a top-flight transfer guard that was going to come because we had XJ and Galloway returning. Those guys, if healthy, were always going to play a lot of minutes. 

If I remember correctly, I think i was even saying that last offseason. 

But for a team that is so bad at shooting, you're telling me there wasn't a Nick Zeisloft type that we could have added? 

A guy that was a straight shooter and maybe not super high on the transfer rankings lists? Remember, Zeisloft averaged like 6ppg at Ill St., and Crean took a ton of heat for that recruitment, but surrounded by talent, Ziesloft was a very key piece on a Big Ten title/Sweet Sixteen team. 

We couldn't have added one guy like that?

Or a Matt Roth...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

other topics:  do most people still think we can lose out and he'll still be back?  i'm not so sure anymore

also:  if he does get another year - who do we think is legit back?  like before he hits the portal, what is our starting 5?

lastly:  people talk about putting too much emphasis on stars when recruiting.  is there anyone on this board who thinks Woodson can go after more off the radar guys with fewer stars and make them into a team the way Purdue or Wisconsin does?

I think if you are trying to build something long term getting lower rated guys that you can shaped and mold over time works.  CMW has lost the luxury of time and is going to need to get some mercenaries to upgrade things quickly to get more time.

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

I believe Banks and Gunn are in the portal within 48 hours of our Wednesday night loss in the BTT. I believe Mgbako will enter the portal but go through the draft process while shopping his NIL options; I would put his return at less than 30%. I have no clue why Galloway would use his Covid year to return to this mess with this train wreck of a staff. I hope for his sake he goes elsewhere, he deserves better. They might beg Leal to use his Covid year just for numbers sake.

I tend to agree with this.  Just from Gallo’s body language on the floor, I have a hunch he won’t be back unless we have a new coach that wants him back, and he feels like he fits the system.

47 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Reminds me of Terone Johnson after Hummel, Moore and Johnson were gone. Really good as the 3rd perimeter option, struggled as the 1st perimeter option.

Not his fault, just like it’s not Galloways fault. 

To me, the ideal lineup would have been TG at the 3, Mack at the 4, KW at the 5, with Reneau backing up at the 4 and 5. That way his defense is less exposed going against other backups. 

And then 2 portal guards at the 1 and 2, after letting X go. With Cupps, Leal and Gunn backing up 1-3. 

Galloway would be best coming off the bench 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

…same, I’m like, why are you guys always here? I know they are civil, but man, read the room. I assume you are taking about the 2 Purdue posters always on here? Lol

Or when they go out of their way to “laugh” at a post you made 5 months ago in predictions thread? You wear out your welcome fast when you do shit like that

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Ok. I’ll stick to the NFL thread. 

I'm sure you are a good dude. you can comment without compairing everything here to purdue. just talk about IU. some purdue is ok just every thread gets hijacked. speaking for myself.

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s sounding like a some of the big boosters are interested in having the conversation about moving on from Woodson at the end of the season. Dolson has a good pulse of what’s going on and what coaches are interested. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s sounding like a some of the big boosters are interested in having the conversation about moving on from Woodson at the end of the season. Dolson has a good pulse of what’s going on and what coaches are interested. 

Thank you for sharing. This sounds like an improvement; I’m hopeful they will see the benefit in having the conversation prior to the end of the season, so that a decision can be made promptly then. I would have preferred a decision (to restructure) to have been made yesterday, but this is an improvement.

• Like 1

Some of you in this thread desperately need to touch grass. It's just basketball, a child's game, played for your entertainment. If you aren't entertained, so be it, but that's not reason to act with the emotional intelligence of a child. The failures of Indiana Basketball are not malevolent acts directed at you personally, nor should they be met with such vitriol and bile. If you can't handle seasons like this without coming apart at the seams, you're clearly not built for this. Find other interests you can emotionally handle, or grow the **** up.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Some of you in this thread desperately need to touch grass. It's just basketball, a child's game, played for your entertainment. If you aren't entertained, so be it, but that's not reason to act with the emotional intelligence of a child. The failures of Indiana Basketball are not malevolent acts directed at you personally, nor should they be met with such vitriol and bile. If you can't handle seasons like this without coming apart at the seams, you're clearly not built for this. Find other interests you can emotionally handle, or grow the **** up.

you left out you damn IU fans its your fault.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

I tend to agree with this.  Just from Gallo’s body language on the floor, I have a hunch he won’t be back unless we have a new coach that wants him back, and he feels like he fits the system.

Gallo was pi$$ed in the 2nd half when Ware and somebody else obviously had no clue what play Gallo was calling, he passed the ball off and immediately called a timeout and was saying something to his teammates.

• Like 1