Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would say if there is a coaching change you will see Reneau in the portal. I know we hate DD but I do believe him when he says there are players who are just good enough to get you fired. Meaning the AD see the players talent but can't understand why you aren't winning with him.

DD has been very vocal about recruiting players from some of these prep school factories. He tweeted the other day about IU dodging a bullet with Derik Queen. In one of the replies, a poster dug up some info and said the only player to ever win a national title out of Monteverde was MaCio Teague who started his college career at UNC-Asheville before transferring to Baylor. And only a handful more ever played in a F4, none of them being big time contributors.

That’s pretty telling considering the amount of notable Monteverde alums who were big time recruits and high draft picks.

19 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Yet you’re on record multiple times saying that Woodson has “earned” a 4th year??

I'm also on record in those same exact posts saying he shouldn't get a 4th year, and that deserving it is irrelevant to the decision the powers that be need to make. 

Deserving it and thinking he should get it are not the same thing. 

I've said numerous times that I think a change should happen this offseason. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm also on record in those same exact posts saying he shouldn't get a 4th year. Deserving it and thinking he should get it are not the same thing. 

I've said numerous times that I think a change should happen this offseason. 

The specific poster I responded too has been on record saying Woodson deserves and has earned a 4th year. I know your stance and why I didn’t reply to you specifically.

Edited by IndyResident16

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

The specific poster I responded too has been on record saying Woodson deserves and earned a 4th year. I know your stance and why I didn’t reply to you specifically.

Ok. You quoted me saying, "yet you're on record saying he's earned a 4th year.", so I thought you were saying that about me?

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Galloway should be coming off the bench…he is an energy guy…lock down defender, instant spark plug…he plays too hard and honestly at his best in more limited minutes….love the kid but that is who he is and should be.

I think Galloway should be a 3.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Im not too impressed with Dusty May.

I admit I had to do a Google search to see who he is. I watched a Youtube video and they said Indian's own Dusty May. I was like who? I knew Scoot May, and I knew Scott had a son that played B'Ball, but I had not heard of Dusty. now I know... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier

i know the apathy has hit hard, but i really think we can get this to 100 pages soon.  i believe in you guys.  still say Archie could have gotten the same results with a team consisting of JHS and TJD.  not giving Woodson credit there.  still say he was playing JHS out of position and was forced to give him the reigns.  no credit there.  still say TJD was the same player, but better at what he already did because of another year of experience.  no credit there.  i'd happily take Pearl, Beard, or May next season.  would love to have McNeeley in cream and crimson, but if it costs us him, so be it.  coaches will be able to recruit at IU.  

other topics:  do most people still think we can lose out and he'll still be back?  i'm not so sure anymore

also:  if he does get another year - who do we think is legit back?  like before he hits the portal, what is our starting 5?

lastly:  people talk about putting too much emphasis on stars when recruiting.  is there anyone on this board who thinks Woodson can go after more off the radar guys with fewer stars and make them into a team the way Purdue or Wisconsin does?

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

other topics:  do most people still think we can lose out and he'll still be back?  i'm not so sure anymore

also:  if he does get another year - who do we think is legit back?  like before he hits the portal, what is our starting 5?

lastly:  people talk about putting too much emphasis on stars when recruiting.  is there anyone on this board who thinks Woodson can go after more off the radar guys with fewer stars and make them into a team the way Purdue or Wisconsin does?

If Woodson is retained I legitimately could see Cupps, Reneau, and Sparks being the only 3 back. Throw in Newton who is on scholarship and then McNeeley and you’d need to fill 8 scholarships. 

C- portal

PF- Reneau

SF- McNeeley

SG- portal

PG- portal

Would be an absolute train wreck of a season next year.

Edited by IndyResident16

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

1) depends on who is calling the shots. If it's Dolson, then I think if we lose out Woodson is gone. If it's Buckner, then I think he can lose out and still keep his job. 

2) I think if he stays we have a shot with keeping Galloway, Reneau, Cupps, Sparks and McNeely (might be missing someone)

3) I don't think he can take a team of lower recruited guys and win next season. 

• Like 3

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

If Woodson is retained I legitimately could see Cupps, Reneau, and Sparks being the only 3 back. Throw in Newton who is on scholarship and then McNeeley, you’d need to fill 8 scholarships. 

C- portal

PF- Reneau

SF- McNeeley

SG- portal

PG- portal

Would be an absolute train wreck of a season next year.

i 100% agree that it would.  trying to be optimistic, we could go PG?  SG Galloway  SF McNeeley  PF  Mtaco  C Reneau  right?  i find it hard to believe Mtaco comes back, but one poster i respect seems to think it's a decent possibility.  we all know him playing the 4 is improbable though.  so do they play everyone out of position again?  force McNeeley to 2, Taco to 3, Reneau to 4 and a transfer 5?  man that would be bad.  

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Galloway should be coming off the bench…he is an energy guy…lock down defender, instant spark plug…he plays too hard and honestly at his best in more limited minutes….love the kid but that is who he is and should be.

Agree,  Galloway should come off the bench.  I remember Coach saying that he was their best player in the preseason, but that doesn't mean he should have been filling the role Coach tried to give him. If he is your best player and he is at his best coming off the bench, then he should be your best player coming off the bench. I will go to my grave saying I wish he would have started CJ from the git-go (although I would have started him, Cupps, and X and brought MM and Galloway off the bench). 

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i 100% agree that it would.  trying to be optimistic, we could go PG?  SG Galloway  SF McNeeley  PF  Mtaco  C Reneau  right?  i find it hard to believe Mtaco comes back, but one poster i respect seems to think it's a decent possibility.  we all know him playing the 4 is improbable though.  so do they play everyone out of position again?  force McNeeley to 2, Taco to 3, Reneau to 4 and a transfer 5?  man that would be bad.  

I believe Banks and Gunn are in the portal within 48 hours of our Wednesday night loss in the BTT. I believe Mgbako will enter the portal but go through the draft process while shopping his NIL options; I would put his return at less than 30%. I have no clue why Galloway would use his Covid year to return to this mess with this train wreck of a staff. I hope for his sake he goes elsewhere, he deserves better. They might beg Leal to use his Covid year just for numbers sake.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

1) depends on who is calling the shots. If it's Dolson, then I think if we lose out Woodson is gone. If it's Buckner, then I think he can lose out and still keep his job. 

2) I think if he stays we have a shot with keeping Galloway, Reneau, Cupps, Sparks and McNeely (might be missing someone)

3) I don't think he can take a team of lower recruited guys and win next season. 

Pretty much my exact feelings. I think if it were Dolson's decision 100% (which I don't) that barring a miracle run to end the year it might already be decided he is gone.

And I would add to this that unless he really struck gold in the portal that next year is going to get very ugly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HPER Smooth said:

I can deal with missed recruits, a down year and even bad losses. I've seen great coaches have terrible years.

But when a team get's worse every game, there's an internal problem. When a coach doesn't have any answers, adjustments, or excitement, the kids lose hope. Woodson has lost the team. There is no help on the way, and he is too stubborn to change or hire talented assistants. And he simply doesn't have the schematic tool box to adjust to a different roster every year.

It's time to move on.

This is spot on. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Agree,  Galloway should come off the bench.  I remember Coach saying that he was their best player in the preseason, but that doesn't mean he should have been filling the role Coach tried to give him. If he is your best player and he is at his best coming off the bench, then he should be your best player coming off the bench. I will go to my grave saying I wish he would have started CJ from the git-go (although I would have started him, Cupps, and X and brought MM and Galloway off the bench). 

oh, i think most feel like Galloway has to start for this team.  the point is on a well constructed roster he is your 6th man energy guy.  i hope you don't go to your grave any time soon, but starting Gunn?  um... no thanks.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

No. 

Gard and Painter can get those guys because they have a developed system and know exactly who they need.

I don’t think this staff can identify lower ranked talent because they haven’t so far. I’m not sure you can even say one player brought on to this team, other than JHS, has over achieved. 

But more importantly, I don’t think we have a system that the players, or even the coaches, have completely bought into. 

it seems like the staff is just guessing at this point. Get a player with athleticism, try to plug him in somewhere and hope it works. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Shared this via PM with a poster, but figured I'd share here too. 

We have some posters that are more pro-coach than others, meaning they prefer to give coaches more time to turn things around and don't love the constant coaching turnover. 

I used to lean more that way. I defended Crean and Archie longer than many did. If I remember, I don't think I was "fire Archie" until February of his last season. 

So, why am I quicker to the "fire Woodson" bandwagon? You'd think an IU guy should get more leeway, right? Especially since he got us to B2B tournaments. 

Two main reasons. 1) I'm just tired of being mediocre. I'm tired of losing, etc., but...

2) I feel with Woodson we've had a bit of a bait and switch on his system/style. I just don't trust him to turn it around. 

I didn't love Archie's system either. But Archie owned his system. We knew what it was and what we were getting, so I had a sense that if "he could just get 'his' guys" in his system we'd be OK. 

Crean had a system too. It had its flaws as well, but he had some proven success with it, and we knew when recruited too right we could win. 

My opinion is that Woodson hasn't been upfront (I'd don't mean purposely lying or anything) with what his system or style is. I'm not sure he knows what it is. 

So, without college experience and some of the other trends and issues, I frankly just don't trust him to turn this around. 

I'm ready for a change and think it needs to happen this offseason. 

Yeah he has lost my trust as well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i would risk the recruits in a heartbeat.  it doesn't matter how much talent you get if you can't make them a cohesive team.  plus i feel pretty confident that the next coach along with our NIL and name can bring in plenty of talent.  i don't see Mike Woodson being a make or break for that.  

There is a post in the preseason prediction thread, can't remember who posted it, that said something about this being the most raw talent we've ever had and the question mark was Woodson.

If that poster is to be believed about the talent level, then it would stand to reason that no amount of talent if going to fix this.

And then there is the point that was made by the folks at Assembly Call, how can you fix what the coach doesn't think is broken? 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Reminds me of Terone Johnson after Hummel, Moore and Johnson were gone. Really good as the 3rd perimeter option, struggled as the 1st perimeter option.

Not his fault, just like it’s not Galloways fault. 

To me, the ideal lineup would have been TG at the 3, Mack at the 4, KW at the 5, with Reneau backing up at the 4 and 5. That way his defense is less exposed going against other backups. 

And then 2 portal guards at the 1 and 2, after letting X go. With Cupps, Leal and Gunn backing up 1-3. 

• Like 2

I am hoping guys like @IUFLA or @Seeking6 will answer this, because if someone doesn't want Woodson back then their answer to this is probably not super relevant....

What is a reasonable expectation for what next year needs to look like to convince you that we are heading in the right direction? Does anything with the remainder of this season, the offseason, etc play into that, and if so, what are those factors?

Anyone can answer that, but I am most interested in the opinion of folks that think Woodson should be back. 

• Like 1