Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

there is enough big tv money coming. not buying it.

You don’t have to buy it. TV money can’t buy everything and there’s other expenses to be covered other than salaries and buyouts.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I take it Dolson is ready to pull the plug, but there are some holdover donors?

He knows there’s problems. He also knows there’s several players discussing transferring which means Woodson would possibly need to build an entire roster from the portal. 

• Sad 2

On 1/12 we beat Minnesota and were 12-5 and 4-2 in the conference. Since then we are 2-8 and in those two wins we had to hit shots late to win those games. If not for those two shots and coming back from being down 18 at OSU we could easily he on a 10 game losing streak.

• Sad 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

He knows there’s problems. He also knows there’s several players discussing transferring which means Woodson would possibly need to build an entire roster from the portal. 

Had Banks already told the coaches he is transferring. I just wonder why he hasn't played a minute in over a month even in blowouts 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That can’t be a good thing at all.There are no guarantees with any player HS or transfers, but a whole new roster in the portal is a huge gamble. I don’t think we can handle the backlash if it comes to that and it fails…

Please, I hope they don’t let it get to that….

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Buckner is in a tough spot as chair of the BoT with Woodson.  He loves the university and can’t be giving the impression of being a part of a cabal who got his buddy a job and kept him there.  Buckner may also be the chair but he has to answer to the other trustees.  The other trustees may have deferred to QB as a former player but now the results are there.  So that friendship might actually cut against Woody where all benefits of the doubt are removed because QB can’t give the appearance of bias or being compromised.

Bod I hope you're right becausse from this point forward, Woodson's recruiting is done. Same thing happened with Crean's and Miller's. With Woodson still on top, some kids would be leaving and the cupboard will be bare. But IU always had tendency to be a step or two behind. I have fear that QB may defend Woodson to save him from humiliation NOW. But in reality, Woodson staying at IU longer would make him suffer even bigger humiliation in a year or two later. BOT should act fast and salvage when they can. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

That can’t be a good thing at all.There are no guarantees with any player HS or transfers, but a whole new roster in the portal is a huge gamble. I don’t think we can handle the backlash if it comes to that and it fails…

Please, I hope they don’t let it get to that….

i think it gets to that no matter what. not sure what school would want any of these guys really. only a couple i would keep.

I get so frustrated watching a lot of these other teams play a wide open offense and shoot the the 3. I see our team playing passive and with no confidence to shoot the ball. It appears they are told not to shoot the 3 and will pass wide open looks. These other teams catch and shoot without hesitation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Who could ever (booster or otherwise), look at this trainwreck and justify thinking or saying “honestly Woodson just needs more time. You can see where he’s taking the program and this is headed slowly towards championship level basketball!”

WHO??!!

Sounds like maybe the Cook family and Buckner 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Who could ever (booster or otherwise), look at this trainwreck and justify thinking or saying “honestly Woodson just needs more time. You can see where he’s taking the program and this is headed slowly towards championship level basketball!”

WHO??!!

The counter point may be, who can look at this and be grumpy and simultaneously willing to give a cool 10 million when it has continually led to meh. At some point the pockets may be tighter and tighter. 

Woodson is now 27-29 in Big 10 games over his 2+ years. In what has been a very mediocre conference. With having one of the best players in program history for the first 2 years. I can't think of any logical argument that he has things headed in the right direction.

Edited by Basketball Junkie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, spe317 said:

The counter point may be, who can look at this and be grumpy and simultaneously willing to give a cool 10 million when it has continually led to meh. At some point the pockets may be tighter and tighter. 

Absolutely possible. If I was a booster I’d want no part in anything unless I was convinced it was a slam dunk hire.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I get so frustrated watching a lot of these other teams play a wide open offense and shoot the the 3. I see our team playing passive and with no confidence to shoot the ball. It appears they are told not to shoot the 3 and will pass wide open looks. These other teams catch and shoot without hesitation.

Confidence doesn’t come from your coach…it comes from seeing the ball go through the hoop. I’m not just speaking this from experience but this is something that has been confirmed by many of the greatest shooters ever.  Our guys aren’t afraid of getting pulled by Woody for missing….has he ever pulled Trey or Mbako??? They’ve shot plenty of bricks.

These guys haven’t seen anything go in because they are poor shooters…so they hesitate…even if they didn’t hesitate they still wouldn’t make them. I could go through the whole roster and tell you all sorts of things that are wrong with each guys jump shot. Now that doesn’t mean they can’t hit threes but it certainly makes it hard to hit them consistently. This is a bad team because it is a poor shooting team(insert any IU team of the past decade) and it has few playmakers who can break down a defense and get it out of position…further making it difficult for poor shooters to get uncontested looks. 

I will say one part of our offense that is broken is players off the ball don’t move…they aren’t suppose to stand that isn’t the design of the offense though…its just poor coaching and poor player recognition.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1