Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Confidence doesn’t come from your coach…it comes from seeing the ball go through the hoop. I’m not just speaking this from experience but this is something that has been confirmed by many of the greatest shooters ever.  Our guys aren’t afraid of getting pulled by Woody for missing….has he ever pulled Trey or Mbako??? They’ve shot plenty of bricks.

These guys haven’t seen anything go in because they are poor shooters…so they hesitate…even if they didn’t hesitate they still wouldn’t make them. I could go through the whole roster and tell you all sorts of things that are wrong with each guys jump shot. Now that doesn’t mean they can’t hit threes but it certainly makes it hard to hit them consistently. This is a bad team because it is a poor shooting team(insert any IU team of the past decade) and it has few playmakers who can break down a defense and get it out of position…further making it difficult for poor shooters to get uncontested looks. 

I will say one part of our offense that is broken is players off the ball don’t move…they aren’t suppose to stand that isn’t the design of the offense though…its just poor coaching and poor player recognition.

I think it is more that they are told not to shot the 3's. Shooting is all about confidence and being squared up when you catch the ball.  You need to get in a rhythm when shooting and you can't do that if you are encouraged not to shoot.

For the he must go now crowd. Look at who we've been on for a couple years in recruiting. For the main 4-5 guys in 25 if I said we would land 4 of them because of the kids/families belief in Woodson, appeal of IU, NIL... would that make you give pause to the he must leave now?

Or do you think a new coach could come in and pick things right up and recruit Haralson, Sisley, Mullins, Brown,etc....

Disappointing year but it is a factor. So is hiring and firing every single 4 year cycle. These are factors that have to be considered. I mean the only reason a guy like May would come here is because of his history....and the same for Pearl but otherwise this job (because of the hiring and firing) has lost it's appeal. For 20 years it's been a Coaching cemetery. That cycle has to stop. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For the he must go now crowd. Look at who we've been on for a couple years in recruiting. For the main 4-5 guys in 25 if I said we would land 4 of them because of the kids/families belief in Woodson, appeal of IU, NIL... would that make you give pause to the he must leave now?

Or do you think a new coach could come in and pick things right up and recruit Haralson, Sisley, Mullins, Brown,etc....

Disappointing year but it is a factor. So is hiring and firing every single 4 year cycle. These are factors that have to be considered. I mean the only reason a guy like May would come here is because of his history....and the same for Pearl but otherwise this job (because of the hiring and firing) has lost it's appeal. For 20 years it's been a Coaching cemetery. That cycle has to stop. 

The last 2 things you mention, the IU appeal and NIL are going to be there regardless of the coach. Though I would say that the clown show that he has created is likely minimizing each of those. And yes I do think a new coach could come in and recruit the same players. Likely more effectively as they won't have the previous 3 years of poor systems and schemes working against them. I can't imagine recruits are really excited to play the type of game Woodson has shown to put on the floor.

From what I have seen Woodson is not doing a lot of recruiting anyway. Particularly in the case of Sisley. He has stated that Izzo and Painter both come to his games. 

I don't disagree that firing a coach after only 3 years is a great plan. But you have to consider more than that. Had it not been for TJD being there his first 2 years we are looking at 3 years of garbage. And it's hard to see next year being an improvement. So do you allow another year or two of failure to change the hiring and firing cycle?

• Like 3

On 2/23/2024 at 11:05 AM, IUFLA said:

Mike Woodson is NOT going to quit, or retire for that matter. I think some of you overlook that the guy got off of back surgery and 6 weeks later led IU to a Big 10 championship and was the Big 10 PoY. That's not to say, as @Artesian_86 iterated, that because he's "IU Royalty" he shouldn't be canned if the situation warrants (it doesn't), but it does show a toughness that you can't overlook. He's mentally tough and he's a competitor...Quitting isn't in him

Why did we fire Archie Miller? Because he could not beat Purdue or get to the NCAA tournament. Yet we get a guy who accomplishes both of those tasks in his first two years, and because we have one down year, we're ready for Dolson to go back to the donors, ask for another $12.5 million dollars to cover what would be essentially admitting he made a mistake. He's not going to do that.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I wouldn’t consider myself in the “must go now” crowd ONLY bc I’m concerned about what that does to ‘25 recruits and Liam for next year. However, I don’t think these kids would want to play for what they’ve seen of Woodson and if they do, I’m not sure the results are better bc of the style. So because of that, I’m leaning towards it might as well happen now. If we had a played a totally different style this year due to personnel…Woodson tailoring the scheme to what he has because of recruiting misses….then maybe I’d have some confidence he could fix it. But the style has been exactly the same, except we’ve gotten worse at it. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Recruits also know what a coach on the "hot seat" looks like.   If I'm a recruit, I'd be thinking twice about committing to IU right now.  Wouldn't be suprised if we lost Queen because of that perception.  

Nobody wants to continue the 4 year coaching cycle.   But I just can't see next year being any different.  Our system is broken.  With the talent we have there's no way we should be this bad.  I hate that it's come to this.  Prolonging the change will only turn more fans off.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 7

You can never keep a coach you know you should hire because of recruits. You’ll likely stay on the radar of some currently being recruited and add some that weren’t interested as of now.

Plus it doesn’t count the new coaches connections to other players who aren’t even on the radar right now.

Then add in the portal and a new coach can turn things around with recruiting faster than ever.

Get rid of Woodson!

• Like 8

We have done less with more than any other program. This has put the fanbase in the position where they need to make a choice between frustration and bitterness, or deciding to invest much less time and energy into following the team. What I dislike is how many fans express their frustrations, anger, etc. about the state of the program.  CMW wants to win more than any

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

To me it appears that recruiting is drying up and how it sounds right now those 25 recruits are looking elsewhere. He offered 35 players in the 24 class and got 1 player.  You just can't keep a coach because if a couple of recruits go elsewhere if you fire him.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The only reason May would come here is history?

-Not because he’s from here or went to school here?

-Not because the Indiana job is a massive upgrade from FAU?

-Not because it’s an instant pay raise and life changing money for he and his family?

Really?

As far as Sisley or Mullins goes, there’s a better chance they commit to IU if you or I were coaching the team. Both want to be Hoosiers in the worst way possible but can’t risk their basketball livelihoods with Woodson behind the wheel.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I wouldn’t consider myself in the “must go now” crowd ONLY bc I’m concerned about what that does to ‘25 recruits and Liam for next year. However, I don’t think these kids would want to play for what they’ve seen of Woodson and if they do, I’m not sure the results are better bc of the style. So because of that, I’m leaning towards it might as well happen now. If we had a played a totally different style this year due to personnel…Woodson tailoring the scheme to what he has because of recruiting misses….then maybe I’d have some confidence he could fix it. But the style has been exactly the same, except we’ve gotten worse at it. 

Is losing McNeeley the end of the world? Look at it this way, IU currently has three 5* on its roster and is going to be playing on Wednesday of the BTT. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it appears that recruiting is drying up and how it sounds right now those 25 recruits are looking elsewhere. He offered 35 players in the 24 class and got 1 player.  You just can't keep a coach because if a couple of recruits go elsewhere if you fire him.

Correct. The ‘24 class was touted to be a special one. One player out of all the big scholarship offers is a disappointment and red flag.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Is losing McNeeley the end of the world? Look at it this way, IU currently has three 5* on its roster and is going to be playing on Wednesday of the BTT. 

Also, based on Woodson horrific system…Mcneeley would most likely be standing in the corner on opposite side of post block hoping for a  Reneau to pass it to him.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fkfootball said:

I hope every person defending Woodson and lobbying for him to get another year, enjoy the 2024-2025 season for what's it's going to be. 

Any person that thinks Woodson deserves a 4th year should be outed and reported as a troll. By far and away the biggest threat to the program going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Any person that thinks Woodson deserves a 4th year should be outed and reported as a troll. By far and away the biggest threat to the program going forward.

If Woodson is somehow retained, I would expect at least an overhaul of some or all of the assistant coaches. 
For all we know, several of them may want to move on…JMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If Woodson is somehow retained, I would expect at least an overhaul of some or all of the assistant coaches. 
For all we know, several of them may want to move on…JMO

What difference does that make? You think Woodson has the ability or self-awareness to evaluate college coaching talent? Who has Woodson seriously ever evaluated? Fife was a forced hire, Kenya Hunter was already on staff, and Ya was a recommendation from his buddy Kenny Payne who is somehow a worse coach than Woodson. And when he fired Fife, he simply promoted Walsh.

Also, it’s going to be extremely tough sell to get any kind of quality assistant to come to Bloomington with Woodson’s lame duck status. If Woodson is retained it’s due to the mere fact that we couldn’t get a donor to pay his buyout and the optics of firing an alum after 3 seasons. Bringing Woodson back for a 4th year is simply delaying the inevitable. He knows that, the fan base knows that, the player know that, prospective recruits know that, as do potential assistant coaches. If Woodson is retained….ugh I don’t even want to think about it.

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

What difference does that make? You think Woodson has the ability or self-awareness to evaluate college coaching talent? Who has Woodson seriously ever evaluated? Fife was a forced hire, Kenya Hunter was already on staff, and Ya was a recommendation from his buddy Kenny Payne who is somehow a worse coach than Woodson. And when he fired Fife, he simply promoted Walsh.

Also, it’s going to be extremely tough sell to get any kind of quality assistant to come to Bloomington with Woodson’s lame duck status. If Woodson is retained it’s due to the mere fact that we couldn’t get a donor to pay his buyout and the optics of firing an alum after 3 seasons. Bringing Woodson back for a 4th year is simply delaying the inevitable. He knows that, the fan base knows that, the player know that, prospective recruits know that, as do potential assistant coaches. If Woodson is retained….ugh I don’t even want to think about it.

My point is….something is drastically wrong with this team. Yes, it looks like a donor or few are trying to hang on to Woodson for another year. If true, I can’t imagine them being ok with more of the same. They may be saying, “If you’re gonna stay, some coaches need to go.” JMO 

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree with you on a change needing to happen, I'm completely with you there, but people are allowed to have different opinions. 

Wanting Woodson to have a 4th, or even just being ok with that, doesn't make someone a troll. 

I disagree. Accepting that Woodson might get a 4th year because we have an inept athletic department is one thing, thinking Woodson deserves a 4th year when it’s patently obvious he is not fit for this job is another. Wanting to see the Indiana program fall further and further into perpetual mediocrity to the point of irrelevancy is a troll-worthy opinion.

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

My point is….something is drastically wrong with this team. Yes, it looks like a donor or few are trying to hang on to Woodson for another year. If true, I can’t imagine them being ok with more of the same. They may be saying, “If you’re gonna stay, some coaches need to go.” JMO 

The problem is Woodson. The only way to fix the issue is to cut out the root of the problem.

• Like 1