Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

6 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

E8BCDF73-A9AA-4F5F-8868-F2CA20D210EE.jpeg

I'm getting tired of media using terms like "interesting" and "fascinating" to describe our off-season. Interesting would be Galloway deciding he was going to enter the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4th. Fascinating would be Mgabko growing 4 inches this summer. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 7

My fear….

Next year we play a similar style and squeak into the tournament. Then what? 

Not enough to be fired.

Stuck In mediocrity for another year with another roster to rebuild. 

This is the worst case scenario, IMO. It’s not the bad that scares me - It’s the in between good and bad that scares me. . 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My fear….

Not enough to be fired.

This is the worst case scenario, IMO. It’s not the bad that scares me - It’s the in between good and bad that scares me. . 

If that happens I think the administration would let’s him go his whole contract….

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My fear….

Not enough to be fired.

I don’t think it’s good enough.  He came in promising big ten championships and competing for National championships.  Those are his own words.  So next year will be his fourth year to get to that level.  That’s a fair period of time in the NIL era with his budgets.  If he doesn’t get there, then he will have failed at his own expectation. 

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not enough to be fired.

Certainly a possibility. But not a probability in my mind. I think we'll be an absolute $hitshow. Little Sisters of the Poor and Paraplegic State will be close games, and we'll still find a way to lose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t think it’s good enough.  He came in promising big ten championships and competing for National championships.  Those are his own words.  So next year will be his fourth year to get to that level.  That’s a fair period of time in the NIL era with his budgets.  If he doesn’t get there, then he will have failed at his own expectation. 

I guess it depends on who it is ‘good enough’ for. I just think the fanbase is getting set up for mediocrity. 

Let’s put aside how good or bad of a coach we think Woody is for a second. ANY coach put in the this situation - coming off a below average season with (what will most likely be) a half full roster - would have trouble being better than a bubble team next year.

Even May. Even Pearl.Even Beard. 

….and if the admin thinks Woody is the one who can do it????

….oh boy. Hold on to your butts. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My fear….

Not enough to be fired.

purgatory 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, DWB said:

Certainly a possibility. But not a probability in my mind. I think we'll be an absolute $hitshow. Little Sisters of the Poor and Paraplegic State will be close games, and we'll still find a way to lose.

I like our chances against Vegetative State

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Just like I initially feared when the rumor about Alford being first in line was kicked around. I remember saying to one of our members  in PM that I hope IU does the right thing and stays away from a nostalgic hire like Alford. Then Woodson was announced and like everyone else I was in complete shock. At least I had heard of Alford but Woodson? Wth…

I guess we have forgotten what Fred Glass said when he fired Crean? Crean who hit his ceiling and wasn't going to take IU far enough quick enough. One year removed from a B1G championship.

But Mike Woodson can take Archies generational talent who was already putting the team on his back and somehow get credit for the kid growing up and getting reps.

Trace was a beast in high school and was gonna beast no matter who he played for and you wont convince me otherwise. Thats what generational talent does. It gets shinier with age and experience.

Jalen who was brought here thanks to Hunter was so far ahead of any current IU guards it was clear as day. I remember mentioning that back then when a lot of folks was stuck on XJ. Jalen was gonna ball no matter who he played for and if it wasnt for XJs bad luck, would have not got the chance to show IU fans what he could do in year one. Again, super talented kid who was going places no matter what.

Love Leal and Galloway don't get me wrong. Kids that grew up wearing candy stripes. Love that! But be real, they aren't championship caliber guards. On one hand, glad to have em back. On the other hand, we need better guards talent wise that would effectively render Leal and Galloway as bench players. If we want to be really good. Thats what its going to take. Really good guards.

No offense to our older HSN members but I mean give me a break. Bring in a nearly 70 year old guy because the 70 year old crowd likes him for his jump shot while playing for IU in 1917 knowing he cant make it happen so you hire another semi retired college coach to train and oversee his operations. It was setup for failure from the beginning.

I mean really, tell me what Mike Woodson has done for the program for him to be worthy of hanging on to. Tell me something he has done better than Crean who was fired for not being good enough.

The longer they drag this along the angrier the fanbase is going to be and further back they set the program. And, the more disdain for Mike Woodson and anyone that supports him.

”Chill” and let Mike swing enough times he might get lucky just don't make sense to me. Train ol’ Mikey on IUs dime and hope the fans are patient. Man I just don't get it. It’s just basketball but the ignorance around the program is killing it. But, Im also near the point of giving up. It’s turning out to be a complete waste of time and energy.

Hopefully thats my last rant. Yeah I probably care about the program too much.

Not 70,  but at 58, I'll put myself in the 'older' category since I saw Woodson play, and he was one of my favorite players.  I'm NOT in favor of him at coach.

That said, how is it any different that some older guys favor Woodson while younger fans favor Dusty May?  There is a huge difference in being head coach at FAU and being head coach at IU.

Do I need to make a list of flavor of the month coaches who had a great run in the tournament, but ultimately were 'meh', or worse?

Make your argument based on something other than age.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Not 70,  but at 58, I'll put myself in the 'older' category since I saw Woodson play, and he was one of my favorite players.  I'm NOT in favor of him at coach.

That said, how is it any different that some older guys favor Woodson while younger fans favor Dusty May?  There is a huge difference in being head coach at FAU and being head coach at IU.

Do I need to make a list of flavor of the month coaches who had a great run in the tournament, but ultimately were 'meh', or worse?

Make your argument based on something other than age.

So age is the new topic and what was taken from my post as objectionable. Oh joy.

Buckner, Thomas et al of the Woodson era have pushed him into position. Older folks. Because anyone way younger than 45 I am guessing has no idea who he is or was. Age is completely relevant when it comes to Woodson being selected as head coach. Not because of his age directly but indirectly because of his affiliation with folks in charge of same or similar age that drool over his teenage skillset.

Since you brought up May, what Dusty May has accomplished as a college coach is much more proven than that of Woodson no matter the age. All while doing it with peanuts compared to what Woodson has done with IU resources. While the crown at IU may have once carried more weight, coaches like Dusty have shown it to be less relevant today by building winning programs at teeny tiny schools with zero history and minimal basketball following. Because he is a good coach who can get more with less. Woodson on the other hand needs billionaires and NBA allstars.

Dusty has created a winning culture capable of beating an Arizona with kids not many were after, in a gym the size of most middle school gyms. 

Bruce Pearl might even be the same age as Woodson but is a proven winning college coach.

In IUs case though its nostalgia. Folks of older generations trying to hang onto a thread of the RMK era. Woodson, a once Knight pupil has come to save IU from the clutches of modernism and innovation of which IU has escaped but to fail undeniably unless your an “true fan” willing to follow blindly.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Inequality said:

So age is the new topic and what was taken from my post as objectionable. Oh joy.

Buckner, Thomas et al of the Woodson era have pushed him into position. Older folks. Because anyone way younger than 45 I am guessing has no idea who he is or was. Age is completely relevant when it comes to Woodson being selected as head coach. Not because of his age directly but indirectly because of his affiliation with folks in charge of same or similar age that drool over his teenage skillset.

Since you brought up May, what Dusty May has accomplished as a college coach is much more proven than that of Woodson no matter the age. All while doing it with peanuts compared to what Woodson has done with IU resources. While the crown at IU may have once carried more weight, coaches like Dusty have shown it to be less relevant today by building winning programs at teeny tiny schools with zero history and minimal basketball following. Because he is a good coach who can get more with less. Woodson on the other hand needs billionaires and NBA allstars.

Dusty has created a winning culture capable of beating an Arizona with kids not many were after, in a gym the size of most middle school gyms. 

Bruce Pearl might even be the same age as Woodson but is a proven winning college coach.

In IUs case though its nostalgia. Folks of older generations trying to hang onto a thread of the RMK era. Woodson, a once Knight pupil has come to save IU from the clutches of modernism and innovation of which IU has escaped but to fail undeniably unless your an “true fan” willing to follow blindly.

I understand the intent of your age comment perfectly.  My objection to it is there are Woodson detractors in the demographic as well as Woodson supporters who are outside that demographic.

Your post was directed at 1-2 specific posters in that demographic who are Woodson supporters.  But instead of providing a counter-argument based on Woodson's performance, it became an age thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I understand the intent of your age comment perfectly.  My objection to it is there are Woodson detractors in the demographic as well as Woodson supporters who are outside that demographic.

Your post was directed at 1-2 specific posters in that demographic who are Woodson supporters.  But instead of providing a counter-argument based on Woodson's performance, it became an age thing.

What IU needs is to hire a 30 year old vunderkind, the kind of coach that comes along only once in a hundred years. My only regret is that I'm getting old, I won't live till 2070. Also, crabgrass. Dandelions I can live with. They make good wine.

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Inequality said:

Just like I initially feared when the rumor about Alford being first in line was kicked around. I remember saying to one of our members  in PM that I hope IU does the right thing and stays away from a nostalgic hire like Alford. Then Woodson was announced and like everyone else I was in complete shock. At least I had heard of Alford but Woodson? Wth…

I guess we have forgotten what Fred Glass said when he fired Crean? Crean who hit his ceiling and wasn't going to take IU far enough quick enough. One year removed from a B1G championship.

But Mike Woodson can take Archies generational talent who was already putting the team on his back and somehow get credit for the kid growing up and getting reps.

Trace was a beast in high school and was gonna beast no matter who he played for and you wont convince me otherwise. Thats what generational talent does. It gets shinier with age and experience.

Jalen who was brought here thanks to Hunter was so far ahead of any current IU guards it was clear as day. I remember mentioning that back then when a lot of folks was stuck on XJ. Jalen was gonna ball no matter who he played for and if it wasnt for XJs bad luck, would have not got the chance to show IU fans what he could do in year one. Again, super talented kid who was going places no matter what.

Love Leal and Galloway don't get me wrong. Kids that grew up wearing candy stripes. Love that! But be real, they aren't championship caliber guards. On one hand, glad to have em back. On the other hand, we need better guards talent wise that would effectively render Leal and Galloway as bench players. If we want to be really good. Thats what its going to take. Really good guards.

No offense to our older HSN members but I mean give me a break. Bring in a nearly 70 year old guy because the 70 year old crowd likes him for his jump shot while playing for IU in 1917 knowing he cant make it happen so you hire another semi retired college coach to train and oversee his operations. It was setup for failure from the beginning.

I mean really, tell me what Mike Woodson has done for the program for him to be worthy of hanging on to. Tell me something he has done better than Crean who was fired for not being good enough.

The longer they drag this along the angrier the fanbase is going to be and further back they set the program. And, the more disdain for Mike Woodson and anyone that supports him.

”Chill” and let Mike swing enough times he might get lucky just don't make sense to me. Train ol’ Mikey on IUs dime and hope the fans are patient. Man I just don't get it. It’s just basketball but the ignorance around the program is killing it. But, Im also near the point of giving up. It’s turning out to be a complete waste of time and energy.

Hopefully thats my last rant. Yeah I probably care about the program too much.

these are pretty much all of the points i have been making for a long time.  couldn't agree more.  so frustrating.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Inequality said:

thinking that you and i are on the same page, it is like you say... it's not really about the age as i would be absolutely thrilled with a Pearl hire.  it's Woodson's age coupled with no college coaching experience.  

• Like 3

Dusty might kill it here, I can't say he wouldn't. But the skillset to make something out of nothing at FAU is very different than what is demanded at a place like Indiana. Here, a coach has to command all those resources he doesn't have in Boca Raton, and craft teams which consistently contend at the highest level. All while under immense scrutiny and expectation, which will require him to hit the ground running.

On the court the sport is the same. Everything that happens off the court makes it a categorically different job.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

My fear….

Not enough to be fired.

Basically the Pacers in the NBA.  Just staying in that 6th to 11th place in conference so you are always competing to be in the playoffs but rarely being good enough to really compete for a title and rarely bad enough to go out and get a few years of high draft picks to build to one.  It is a good place to play for if you are a journeyman looking to cash some checks though.

The fact the Simons are involved in both the Pacers and in keeping Woodson should terrify everyone.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1