Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

6 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

The holier than thou fanbase we have is the worst. Couple that with our Administration and there is no wonder why Indiana is a laughing stock.

I get ya. 2 years ago Pearl was off the table for discussion but look at this thread now. Top choice for most not all but most. You have to have a scum line and Cal and Will Wade are on the wrong side for me.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Calimari is an average coach that used to be able to have a major advantage by buying players before NIL was a thing. 

Now that everyone is openly buying players, he lost his advantage. 

If we want the one coach that can do less than Woodson with more talent, then cal is the guy.

Personally I would rather someone get more out of the team than the sum of their parts.

He doesn't need to buy players.  He just needs to show recruits the salaries of his past players in the NBA and how many of his former players are on the all-star team.  

50 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

The holier than thou fanbase we have is the worst. Couple that with our Administration and there is no wonder why Indiana is a laughing stock.

Calapari is the most over rated coach in college basketball. If he was so great why has he only won 1 tournament game in 4 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Calapari is the most over rated coach in college basketball. If he was so great why has he only won 1 tournament game in 4 years.

He’s terrible at X’s and O’s and game management and then always pulls the Woody comment of how young his team is. Plus remember he doesn’t want to coach at assembly Hall LOLOL

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

It’s the Kentucky stuff.  I just want to get talent and win.  Kentucky fans are insane for wanting to get rid of him.  

I disagree…. I AM tired of the holier than thou attitude we have, but I have ZERO interest in Calipari. He’s won one tournament game in four years with one of the top recruiting classes in every one of those years. And if you think Mike Woodson makes excuses and never takes accountability, Calipari is the world’s worst. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone watched the sweet 16 and realized how far away we are? We aren’t even close. We had Gabe Cupps as our starting guard. He wouldn’t crack the rotation on any of those teams. Our backcourt talent needs a massive upgrade. From a coaching style it’s basically all  4 out 1 in around a skilled BIG. Houston and Texas A&M at one point had all Guards/wings on the floor. Zero bigs. We play 2 guards and 3 forwards. The whole thing needs a complete 180. Pearl would have us competitive on a national stage in 2 years. This program is a disaster at the moment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

In the grand scheme of life, it's really not that important.  Why on earth would I make exceptions to my moral compass just so a team I root for could be better than it is? 

Do I want my kids looking back and thinking...

• 'Dad was against cheating unless it was IU basketball."  "
  • "Dad believed in working hard to get good grades in school, unless it was an IU basketball player."
  • "Dad wants us to stay away from drugs, but doesn't think IU players should be punished for it'"
  • 'Why did dad talk to us about violence, but turn a blind eye when a IU player sucker punched an opponent or beat up his girlfriend.

If those things meet your definition of 'holier than thou', then I plead guilty and I'm proud of it. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Has anyone watched the sweet 16 and realized how far away we are? We aren’t even close. We had Gabe Cupps as our starting guard. He wouldn’t crack the rotation on any of those teams. Our backcourt talent needs a massive upgrade. From a coaching style it’s basically all  4 out 1 in around a skilled BIG. Houston and Texas A&M at one point had all Guards/wings on the floor. Zero bigs. We play 2 guards and 3 forwards. The whole thing needs a complete 180. Pearl would have us competitive on a national stage in 2 years. This program is a disaster at the moment.

Shows what you know. Our university, donors and fans are happy with our program. In fact, they are so thrilled that they are trying to BUY him a team to make the tourney next year.

You don't have to recruit, coach, you are such an amazing coach that we will buy you the players.

Edited by Sea Turtle

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the grad scheme of life, it's really not that important.  Why on earth would I make exceptions to my moral compass just some a team I root for could be better than it is? 

• "Dad believed in working hard to get good grades in school, unless it was an IU basketball player."
  • "Dad wants us to stay away from drugs, but doesn't think IU players should be punished for it'"
  • 'Why does dad talk to us about violence, but turn a blind eye when a IU player sucker punches an opponent or beats up his girlfriend.

If those things meet your definition of 'holier than thou', then I plead guilty and I'm proud of it. 

Go cheer for the women. Maybe they are squeaky clean enough for you. 

The men need winners, not losers

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the grad scheme of life, it's really not that important.  Why on earth would I make exceptions to my moral compass just so a team I root for could be better than it is? 

• "Dad wants us to stay away from drugs, but doesn't think IU players should be punished for it'"
  • 'Why did dad talk to us about violence, but turn a blind eye when a IU player sucker punched an opponent or beat up his girlfriend.

Agree!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

This idea of a unicorn coach who is a great with x' and o's, has a spotless past, is a good recruiter, plays good defense, and plays a modern offensive and fun up temp offense is just that. A unicorn. 

Fans like him are part of the problem.

Are we still talking about Calipari here?  That's how this conversation got started, so I assume we are.  If that's the case, you should probably realize that Coach Cal does not have many of the attributes you just listed.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the grad scheme of life, it's really not that important.  Why on earth would I make exceptions to my moral compass just so a team I root for could be better than it is? 

Meh, I think this is a pretty big oversimplification and stretching the truth a little bit. I haven’t seen one person on here insinuate that we should have turned our heads to what was going on under Sampson. His inability to follow a rule he had already broken and inability to police his kids rightfully cost him his job. I think most are talking about how the administration appears to be unwilling to hire guys that have broken minor rules (rules that aren’t rules anymore in some cases) in the past. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

It means that he's a loser who supports a loser program. His moral compass? This isn't the effing boy scouts. It's mens semi professional basketball. 

Wanting a winner for a coach and a winning program doesn't mean we want a renegade program.

This idea of a unicorn coach who is a great with x' and o's, has a spotless past, is a good recruiter, plays good defense, and plays a modern offensive and fun up temp offense is just that. A unicorn. 

Fans like him are part of the problem.

And, for the record, when you get called out for breaking board rules, I want you to know I had nothing to do with it.  It's not worth my time to make a stink about it.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Are we still talking about Calipari here?  That's how this conversation got started, so I assume we are.  If that's the case, you should probably realize that Coach Cal does not have many of the attributes you just listed.  

We are talking about good coaches who haven't always been squeaky clean. I mean, it's a coach. Not a boy scout leader. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

The announcements that Leal and Gallo were returning were  a setback for the program, but I don’t blame them. We currently have three guard spots occupied by three bench players and a fourth who may not ever be healthy enough to play

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, for the record, when you get called out for breaking board rules, I want you to know I had nothing to do with it.  It's not worth my time to make a stink about it.  

I apologize for calling you that. I shouldn't have. When I'm wrong I say it.

9 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

We are talking about good coaches who haven't always been squeaky clean. I mean, it's a coach. Not a boy scout leader. 

You specifically brought up Calipari and I responded with my thoughts on him.  I don't recall other coaches being directly named in the conversation.  

• Like 1