Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

On 3/26/2024 at 3:36 PM, IU Scott said:

He was never cleared of anything, he just wasn't charged. There is a whole lot of difference between the two.

So, would it be fair to say that you haven’t been charged with solicitation, but you haven’t been cleared of it either?/ :coffee:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

So I live in the Louisville area and what's happening at UofL is comical. They whiffed on Drew last week and he basically publicly bashed the program and the fans, then went all in on Dusty May only to lose out to Michigan. Yesterday the rumors were swirling with Richard Pitino (wtf) and now today it appears it's a done deal with Pat Kelsey. Apparently they offered the position to Josh Schertz after May but then found out he had already signed a memorandum of understanding to be the next head coach at Saint Louis because he thought he was out of the running at Louisville. You can't make this stuff up. So Kelsey is at minimum their 4th choice and all of this is public. It's good to know that the IU administration isn't the only clown show in town! 😂

It’s funny, though, that the narrative when they started their search was, “Louisville has a great administration now and they’ll make a home run hire this time.”

4 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

So I live in the Louisville area and what's happening at UofL is comical. They whiffed on Drew last week and he basically publicly bashed the program and the fans, then went all in on Dusty May only to lose out to Michigan. Yesterday the rumors were swirling with Richard Pitino (wtf) and now today it appears it's a done deal with Pat Kelsey. Apparently they offered the position to Josh Schertz after May but then found out he had already signed a memorandum of understanding to be the next head coach at Saint Louis because he thought he was out of the running at Louisville. You can't make this stuff up. So Kelsey is at minimum their 4th choice and all of this is public. It's good to know that the IU administration isn't the only clown show in town! 😂

Yeah so what I’ve heard about the SLU job is basically he said if he was offered the job at SLU he would stop his search any further and then decide between SLU and returning to ISU. I know a guy in the SLU basketball hall of fame and he basically thinks it’s a done deal with him.

My post 3 years ago on Fakebook when I found out they hired Woodson!

Indiana hires Mike Woodson as it's new coach. The dude has never coached college, has never recruited and hasn't won anything plus he is 63 years old.
You can't fix stupid when it comes to Indiana basketball.

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

My post 3 years ago on Fakebook when I found out they hired Woodson!

Indiana hires Mike Woodson as it's new coach. The dude has never coached college, has never recruited and hasn't won anything plus he is 63 years old.
You can't fix stupid when it comes to Indiana basketball.

Congratulations. You were right. You won a miserable '23-'24 basketball season

To be fair. I don't believe anyone was elated about the hire.

10 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Obviously the BOT's and big donors were happy. They have continued to support him!

Thank you and for the record you can keep the basketball season. It was truly one we would all like to forget. At least we have the '24-'25 season to look forward to, which I don't think will be much better!

Also, 6 years ago today Daryl Thomas passed away. One of the truly Hoosier greats and one of my all time favorite players. R.I.P., sir!

Edited by jefftheref

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

This was the text I sent a buddy of mine when it was announced. I was never thrilled with the hire. But then there was promise early on and I had a lot of fun last season especially. This season wasn't great, the few good wins happened too late to matter, and recruiting is a real concern. But letting that upset me the way it has some on here does no one any good. It's very easy to still be happy when good things happen for the program, like some of these recruits we're about to land, and to hope for a successful coming season. 

Screenshot_20240328-105338.png

• Like 4

As I’ve said before, the best thing for the program is for Woody to get this pointed in the right direction for a mess free passing of the baton whenever that happens. While we all have varying opinions on when that should be, I think we all hope for some positive momentum this upcoming season to lead towards that ideal outcome whenever it is. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

As I’ve said before, the best thing for the program is for Woody to get this pointed in the right direction for a mess free passing of the baton whenever that happens. While we all have varying opinions on when that should be, I think we all hope for some positive momentum this upcoming season to lead towards that ideal outcome whenever it is. 

Sooner rather than later.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

This was the text I sent a buddy of mine when it was announced. I was never thrilled with the hire. But then there was promise early on and I had a lot of fun last season especially. This season wasn't great, the few good wins happened too late to matter, and recruiting is a real concern. But letting that upset me the way it has some on here does no one any good. It's very easy to still be happy when good things happen for the program, like some of these recruits we're about to land, and to hope for a successful coming season. 

Screenshot_20240328-105338.png

Definitely enjoy the happy moments, and hope for a successful season.  Great to see the smiles on the players' faces when they won those late games.  I was very okay getting upset, lol, because it was such a missed opportunity for the players who have 4-5 years of eligilibity in total in college, and really deserve the best chance at success.  Not to mention the $ used to pay the IU coach, as probably the highest paid state employee, the lack of professionalism towards the basketball program by certain IU paid staff & BoT members, etc.  I am glad I sent a (very professional) letter to them. I haven't changed my mind on the coach or coaching situation, nor have I changed my mind on the overall trajectory of this program.  If/when facts & circumstances dictate a change, I'll gladly do so. (Also grateful to HSN for the opportunity to vent & process.)

However, I do understand what you are saying, and it is what it is, so hoping for a fun year for the players & fans, and simultaneously a passing of the baton sooner rather than later.

15 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

as probably the highest paid state employee

But is he? According to state law, no state university can receive state funds for use in support of the athletic program. You can then conclude his salary is paid by funds generated by the athletic department itself, including sales revenues (tickets, merchandise, network broadcast fees, etc.) and donations raised by the department.

I think you can interpret from that he is an employee of the university, but not an employee of the state. Anyone being upset thinking he is paid by your tax dollars can breathe a sigh of relief, because that isn't happening.

Edited by Tom White

On 3/27/2024 at 9:08 AM, Purdue7 said:

When was the last time you heard of CMW or assistants hosting or going to a basketball clinic?

Does any opponent ever say IU is tough to prepare for or they run great stuff?

After watching darn near 100 games of men’s & women’s basketball the last 10 days it’s apparent there are some great coaches out there (Indiana HS too)

Utah State ran a bunch of 4/5 pick n roll to get open 3’s against Edey 

IU had two bigs who shot 3’s at a high level…

Exactly!!!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:23 PM, ledies22 said:

I get that. solely talking about buying players, What's the difference between buying transfers, or buying high school kids? the issue lies in having a team full of transfers, not in the "buying of players".

We bought a below average coach for 10 million. Isn't that right, Quinn.

15 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I thought Bryson Tucker committing would buy a little time before this stuff spewed back up. Shame on me.

In all honesty, unless we snag some portal “shooters” Tucker doesn’t move the needle much. We need Tucker plus a few more. 

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I thought Bryson Tucker committing would buy a little time before this stuff spewed back up. Shame on me.

We are not dealing in fantasy or hopeium here. We have history behind us. Until a good product is on the floor let's put the over blown hopeium aside and be more realistic. Every year, it's...we have so and so, and so and so, we're going to have a good team, etc. The constant is the coach who walked out on the team and blamed them for the losses. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

We are not dealing in fantasy or hopeium here. We have history behind us. Until a good product is on the floor let's put the over blown hopeium aside and be more realistic. Every year, it's...we have so and so, and so and so, we're going to have a good team, etc. The constant is the coach who walked out on the team and blamed them for the losses. 

Dont even know what you're referring to hopeium. No one is shooting rainbows and sunshine up peoples asses here. It the opposite.

Yes history says 2/3 tourney appearances. Over blown...!? the only thing over blown is that IU is a catastrophe. 

If you cant get a little hyped up about bryson committing, I dont know what to tell you, but there is no hope. Not for IU, but for you.

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

In all honesty, unless we snag some portal “shooters” Tucker doesn’t move the needle much. We need Tucker plus a few more. 

Top 20 level player absolutely moves the needle. If your point is this has to be a starting point, I agree. But I disagree that this level of talent doesn't move the needle.

• Like 3