Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

@RoadToZion @DC2345 wasn't there also issues Fife was creating with recruits....? For some reason i thought i recalled something with filipowski or something. 

I just thought there were a bunch of things, not one of those things individually being a see yuh later, but adding up of all the things?

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Fife was the smartest basketball mind on the staff at the time. He was pushed out because him and Woodson didn't get along at all and that's putting it mildly. Thad wasn't pushed out. He worked for Dolson and not Woodson. 

So, why did Thad step away when he did?  I'm indifferent on Fife, but losing Thad when we did was a red flag about the direction of the program in my mind.

• Like 5

Just now, ledies22 said:

@RoadToZion @DC2345 wasn't there also issues Fife was creating with recruits....? For some reason i thought i recalled something with filipowski or something. 

I just thought there were a bunch of things that added up, not on of those things individually being a see yuh later, but adding up of all the things?

info was "created" to support getting rid of him and not have the fan base that many loved Fife in revolt.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

info was "created" to support getting rid of him and not have the fan base that many loved Fife in revolt.  

Ahhhh makes sense. Woodson didn't want him. Why create a split in the fanbase. Embellish things for causation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, why did Thad step away when he did?  I'm indifferent on Fife, but losing Thad when we did was a red flag about the direction of the program in my mind.

didn't he leave for Butler AD?

I should leave this to the people that know, but i am bored at work and can't mind my own business. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I just thought there were a bunch of things, not one of those things individually being a see yuh later, but adding up of all the things?

Yes, with Filipowski about NIL but it was exaggerated to fit a narrative. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Ahhhh makes sense. Woodson didn't want him. Why create a split in the fanbase. Embellish things for causation.

the heir apparent did not sit well even thought that was only perception not reality. As fans thats what we assumed and if things did not go well do you really want to predecessor on your staff. There was no love loss to say the least

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Yes, with Filipowski about NIL but it was exaggerated to fit a narrative. 

Exactly. I had heard that the comment was why worry about how much money you will make. with all that Indiana has to offer I would play there for free like the rest of us or something along those lines 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom White said:

And yet you sort of are, by insinuation, no? Maybe it is just me.

I stated why hes gone, which is true. But didnt expend because going into detail would get me kicked off the forum, again. Anything else Tom?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

He was the top assistant for Izzo (one of the best ever) for like a dozen years. I'd say thats pretty good. 

I’m convinced everyone knows basketball at a B+ level that coaches 

But do they:

work hard….like live the job 

get along/forge relationships 

get players to buy into their dream 

get players to fit the scheme 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

When was the last time you heard of CMW or assistants hosting or going to a basketball clinic?

Does any opponent ever say IU is tough to prepare for or they run great stuff?

After watching darn near 100 games of men’s & women’s basketball the last 10 days it’s apparent there are some great coaches out there (Indiana HS too)

Utah State ran a bunch of 4/5 pick n roll to get open 3’s against Edey 

IU had two bigs who shot 3’s at a high level…

Well, there's this:

Collins: "Needless to say, this was a huge, huge win for our team. We've gone through a lot of adversity the last week-and-a-half. And to be able to come here on short rest against a team we really respect — the talent and the coaching. You're on the road, one of tougher venues to play in. They've been sitting around, they had eight days off to prepare for us. ... 

Collins: "They have one of the elite shot-blockers in the country in Kel'el Ware. What happens a lot with an elite shot-blocker is he's coming over to block everything. One of the things we talked about with our bigs was be ready on the back side. Because if he isn't able to block the shot and the shot is missed, you're a free rebounder on the back side. I thought that was a big reason Matt (Nicholson) had free rein to be able to get to the offensive board. ... 14 offensive rebounds is huge,

So I live in the Louisville area and what's happening at UofL is comical. They whiffed on Drew last week and he basically publicly bashed the program and the fans, then went all in on Dusty May only to lose out to Michigan. Yesterday the rumors were swirling with Richard Pitino (wtf) and now today it appears it's a done deal with Pat Kelsey. Apparently they offered the position to Josh Schertz after May but then found out he had already signed a memorandum of understanding to be the next head coach at Saint Louis because he thought he was out of the running at Louisville. You can't make this stuff up. So Kelsey is at minimum their 4th choice and all of this is public. It's good to know that the IU administration isn't the only clown show in town! 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I’m convinced everyone knows basketball at a B+ level that coaches 

But do they:

work hard….like live the job 

get along/forge relationships 

get players to buy into their dream 

get players to fit the scheme 

Correct to the bold. 

Ultimately do they adapt. Apapt or die. 2 straight years we allowed lack of guard depth to destroy our seasons.  Fool me once, shame on you... 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

So I live in the Louisville area and what's happening at UofL is comical. They whiffed on Drew last week and he basically publicly bashed the program and the fans, then went all in on Dusty May only to lose out to Michigan. Yesterday the rumors were swirling with Richard Pitino (wtf) and now today it appears it's a done deal with Pat Kelsey. Apparently they offered the position to Josh Schertz after May but then found out he had already signed a memorandum of understanding to be the next head coach at Saint Louis because he thought he was out of the running at Louisville. You can't make this stuff up. So Kelsey is at minimum their 4th choice and all of this is public. It's good to know that the IU administration isn't the only clown show in town! 😂

It should show people that top coaches are not leaving their current power conference job for another one.

43 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

From what I have seen, it might have been a 5th/6th choice

1. Drew 

2. Cronin (rumored)

3. May

4. Schertz

5. either Holloway or Kelsey 

Louisville should have went after Cronin the 1st time around.

• Like 2