Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

8 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Meh, I think this is a pretty big oversimplification and stretching the truth a little bit. I haven’t seen one person on here insinuate that we should have turned our heads to what was going on under Sampson. His inability to follow a rule he had already broken and inability to police his kids rightfully cost him his job. I think most are talking about how the administration appears to be unwilling to hire guys that have broken minor rules (rules that aren’t rules anymore in some cases) in the past. 

i absolutely hate to say this, but Purdue does a pretty good job of doing both right?  pretty clean program or at least with the reputation of one and contends for the B1G every year?

• Like 5

While i don't like Coach Calipari, has there ever been an indication that Kentucky cheats to get basketball players.  They have been a good to great basketball program for longer than i can remember and under multiple coaches. 

I mean yeah the last couple years haven't been great, but only finished lower than 3rd twice in the conference and had a pretty good run earlier in his career.  From where IU is sitting, i wouldn't throw stones at glass houses.

Not saying i want him as our coach but i would take these results over the next 15 years

image.png.bdc323f5316337549e13a20e81cc7983.png

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

The holier than thou fanbase we have is the worst. Couple that with our Administration and there is no wonder why Indiana is a laughing stock.

Has nothing to do with "holier than thou", it has to do with Calipari just not being a good game coach.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

Shows what you know. Our university, donors and fans are happy with our program. In fact, they are so thrilled that they are trying to BUY him a team to make the tourney next year.

You don't have to recruit, coach, you are such an amazing coach that we will buy you the players.

What's up with this crappy argument that's been popping up? What's different this year than the last 3? What is IU doing that's different than UK, KU, Duke, everyone. You have NIL money, you go get players...? I'm not understanding. Are we really complaining that people are putting up money to try to have a successful year? Are we really that upset that we are trying to get players that may win us some games next year? Please explain to me. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Has nothing to do with "holier than thou", it has to do with Calipari just not being a good game coach.

he hasn't done anything the last 10 years with the amount of talent he has gathered. He wouldn't last here with the last 4 years he has had. Is that a coincidence now that the playing field has somewhat leveled out? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

he hasn't done anything the last 10 years with the amount of talent he has gathered. He wouldn't last here with the last 4 years he has had. Is that a coincidence now that the playing field has somewhat leveled out? 

again not defending him, but look at his results. he did pretty well just not tourney good the last 4 years.

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

again not defending him, but look at his results. he did pretty well just not tourney good the last 4 years.

isn't that what IU fans ultimately mean though? I mean look at Purdue. Yes, Any IU fan would take either of those currently, but when the wins start coming, pretty good during the regular season with no hardware, speaking of UK,(Purdue at least has B1G ships) isn't good enough being bounced week 1 of the tourney, again speaking of UK. 

16 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree. Those first round exits are embarrassing, but also just one game in a season where they earned a 2 seed and a 3 seed. A championship, two other Final Fours, and three other Elite Eights is impressive work. Villanova, North Carolina, Duke, UConn, Kansas, those are the only programs with comparable results, and all have suffered early tourney exits or outright misses as well.

The only knock against Calipari is he perhaps could have done even more with the NBA talent on hand. But only a small handful of schools wouldn't trade for his actual results, and Indiana sure isn't one of those schools. Scoffing at Kentucky's success demonstrates an impossible standard for any Indiana coach, because it means you're asking for, like, prime Krzyzewski.

If the next hire gets anywhere close to Calipari's Kentucky results, especially if they hang even just his one banner, it'll be a home run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom White said:

totally agree.  i just don't think he is a good coach.  my holier than thou argument goes to Beard.  still say he is a winner, young enough to be around a long time, and a solid fit.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

isn't that what IU fans ultimately mean though? I mean look at Purdue. Yes, Any IU fan would take either of those currently, but when the wins start coming, pretty good during the regular season with no hardware, speaking of UK,(Purdue at least has B1G ships) isn't good enough being bounced week 1 of the tourney, again speaking of UK. 

Honestly i don't disagree with you.  My problem with coach Woodson doesn't have as much to do with the end results, although i want more win and better seeds in the tourney.  My biggest issue is lack of direction for this program or a direction i don't enjoy.  Its not fun to watch our team play, even when we win, its ugly basketball.  We're trending the wrong way in recruiting and portal usage.  I want a charismatic open dialog coach who wants to engage with the media and the fans.  I want to be excited for the season, not just the offseason.  I know that wins and titles plays into that, but I have also adulted long enough to know when something is trending the wrong way and that throwing money at bad framework won't work long term.  I am resigned to this style of play for the next couple years until he retires (they will never fire him).  Hopefully then we get a younger more modern style of play from  our next coach.    

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

totally agree.  i just don't think he is a good coach.  my holier than thou argument goes to Beard.  still say he is a winner, young enough to be around a long time, and a solid fit.  

not quite there yet. Another year, I'd take him. 

I dont think you want to be the first school that hires someone coming out of an instance like that. 

If you wait, you can say... we did our research, we brought him in and had a long conversation with him, blah, blah, blah

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

not quite there yet. Another year, I'd take him. 

I dont think you want to be the first school that hires someone coming out of an instance like that. 

If you wait, you can say... we did our research, we brought him in and had a long conversation with him, blah, blah, blah

wait.  he coached at Ole Miss this season.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

He is a winner until he chokes out another girl friend.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

He was my first choice and will remain that.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

wait.  he coached at Ole Miss this season.  

the second part was an additional thought not necessarily relevant to the initial thought lol. it was

Initial thought

secondary thought

back to initial thought.

I may have gotten a little crazy last night with the all inclusive drinks at the event i was at. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

…but I have also adulted long enough to know when something is trending the wrong way and that throwing money at bad framework won't work long term.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes. Trying to like this comment as much as possible!!! 💯‼️

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

What's up with this crappy argument that's been popping up? What's different this year than the last 3? What is IU doing that's different than UK, KU, Duke, everyone. You have NIL money, you go get players...? I'm not understanding. Are we really complaining that people are putting up money to try to have a successful year? Are we really that upset that we are trying to get players that may win us some games next year? Please explain to me. 

Kansas has three top 50 HS recruits, UK has five plus a top 75, Duke has six. IU has zero HS recruits for 2024. To be a successful program, you need a core group of veterans, a steady crop of HS recruits and portal transfers to fill needs. IU is acting like a bad pro team with lots of cap space looking to overpay for a bunch of free agents. There's no evidence that this is a formula for sustained success. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I had a girlfriend who enjoyed being choked.  I never could do it, but she always wanted me to do it.  Just seemed like a weird kink

One of 5Fouls ex-wives? You 2 could be Eskimo Buddies. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Don't get me wrong, I love it there. But that place is wild as hell. 

Where do you live? 

Hernando, suburb of Memphis. It’s not Deep South, but damn we are close.

i am from Indiana so you don’t have to defend Mississippi lol. No offense taken at all.

Just now, BH33 said:

Hernando, suburb of Memphis. It’s not Deep South, but damn we are close.

i am from Indiana so you don’t have to defend Mississippi lol. No offense taken at all.

Haha I gotcha, but I really did enjoy my two visits there. 

We spent a weekend in StarkVegas (😄) watching Tennessee and MSST baseball at the Dude. And then actually took a short vacation to a small beach in the Biloxi, Gulfport area. Food in both spots was absolutely phenomenal. 

Obviously, there are some drawbacks to MS, but I only judge a place on my experience. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic--- Beard just doesn't seem likely. But, what's his buyout currently right now? what would it be at this time next year?

• Like 2