Big Ten 2021-2022

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He said Gard “touched him.” Not grabbed, not slapped, no comment here about being threatened. IMO Gard wanted to explain why he called the timeout and Howard was not of the mindset to hear it. What’s wrong here where supposed adults feel they have to defend themselves because someone touched them? To me, it comes across as a guy wired just a little too tight and certainly not one interested in being a role model for young men. If I were a parent of a player being recruited by Howard, I would have significant reservations about turning my son over to the program. 

I get the vitriol v Wisconsin, and I know that a lot of folks here are frustrated because we used to own them and now that has been flipped. Regardless, if Davidson was wearing the candy stripes we’d all love him. And regardless of what happens on the floor, once the final buzzer goes off your first and foremost a human being and it shouldn’t be so hard to act like one 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don’t condone what Howard did, at all.

I don’t condone what Gard did, or Krabanoff did, at all. You guys defending the Wisconsin actions are telling on yourselves with the type of behavior you think is acceptable. You don’t have a right to put your hands on people, to force them to engage with you, or anything else. Period. Respect other people - men, women, children, whatever - period. Don’t touch people or get into their space when they don’t want it. It’s really simple. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

He said Gard “touched him.” Not grabbed, not slapped, no comment here about being threatened. IMO Gard wanted to explain why he called the timeout and Howard was not of the mindset to hear it. What’s wrong here where supposed adults feel they have to defend themselves because someone touched them? To me, it comes across as a guy wired just a little too tight and certainly not one interested in being a role model for young men. If I were a parent of a player being recruited by Howard, I would have significant reservations about turning my son over to the program. 

I get the vitriol v Wisconsin, and I know that a lot of folks here are frustrated because we used to own them and now that has been flipped. Regardless, if Davidson was wearing the candy stripes we’d all love him. And regardless of what happens on the floor, once the final buzzer goes off your first and foremost a human being and it shouldn’t be so hard to act like one 

In this video at the end , he says he felt the need to protect himself which is indirectly saying he felt threatened IMO.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

While true, there is something to be said for knowing someone is pissed and then grabbing them aggressively and expecting them to be calm and cool headed.  Should he have been slapped, no, but he should have just let the man walk by and not grabbed him.  No person has the right to invade someone else's space just because they believe they need something from them.

If that is aggressive and Gard physically stopped 6ft 10 Howard then I have nothing for you guys. If a coach cannot control himself any better than that he has no business in the profession 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t condone what Howard did, at all.

I don’t condone what Gard did, or Krabanoff did, at all. You guys defending the Wisconsin actions are telling on yourselves with the type of behavior you think is acceptable. You don’t have a right to put your hands on people, to force them to engage with you, or anything else. Period. Respect other people - men, women, children, whatever - period. Don’t touch people or get into their space when they don’t want it. It’s really simple. 

You seem awful angry about this.

Don’t know your life at all, but I have had numerous occasions where someone has grabbed my arm , primarily to get my attention. Multiple situations, tense and otherwise. Regardless of the circumstances I never once had the thought that I needed to throw a punch at the person. 

A rational person doesn’t lose control, especially so quickly. “Take your hands off of me” would have worked just fine 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean his explanation was way better than Howard’s. All Howard had to do was move Gard’s arm off of him and the situation would’ve ended. Gard wouldn’t have thrown a punch lol. 

But he didn’t apologize. Why is it so hard for you to say both guys are in the wrong? Why are you defending grabbing someone when they don’t want to be grabbed as acceptable?

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

If that is aggressive and Gard physically stopped 6ft 10 Howard then I have nothing for you guys. If a coach cannot control himself any better than that he has no business in the profession 

No one has defended Howard. We all agree he was wrong.

Why do you think you have the right to touch someone who very clearly doesn’t want to be touched?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You seem awful angry about this.

Don’t know your life at all, but I have had numerous occasions where someone has grabbed my arm , primarily to get my attention. Multiple situations, tense and otherwise. Regardless of the circumstances I never once had the thought that I needed to throw a punch at the person. 

A rational person doesn’t lose control, especially so quickly. “Take your hands off of me” would have worked just fine 

I don’t disagree, and I’m not defending what Howard did.

I am pointing out what Gard did is also wrong. Do you find it acceptable to grab someone, touch them, whatever, that doesn’t want to have that done?

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Howard said he was threatened.

The video shows him trying to leave the situation and Gard not allowing him too.

I haven’t a single time said Howard was innocent. I just don’t understand you guys defending putting your hands on someone who is trying to leave a situation. If Gard doesn’t do that it never happens. So yeah, I personally say both are not okay. 

I have had many hand shakes with coaches when one of us wanted to discuss a situation and what Gard did was not in the least bit aggressive and if Howard threatened by that how the hell did he play in the NBA.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Doesn't matter if he has 200lbs on him.  No one has the right to put their hands on anyone.  Doesn't matter.  Doesn't mean the other coach, who said something and got slapped for it, should have gotten hit.  Still doesn't resolve someone of physically putting their hands on anyone.  Just because its 2 men and one is larger then the other doesn't change anything.  Put your hands on someone and something could happen.

I am not defensing Howard.  He should be punished.  But so should Gard.  He instigated it and it got out of hand from there.  Had he just walked by, nothing happens.  At all.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2