2024 C Derik Queen Commits to Maryland

OGIUAndy

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is he our 5 or will we still need to have a center play next to him (defensive purposes). Is he Race with a shot? The highlights I watched he didn’t seem to be that athletic…just big. He made a lot of sloppy plays but everything still went in…lol

I'd be curious to see what his shooting percentages are from 3. His handle is very good for his size.

I'll take a class of Queen, McNeeley, Boogie, and Mustaf please :D

• Like 4

21 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Not to keep posting about old guys, but keep in mind Alford only had the 3 pt line for one year. Shot 53% taking 6 a game. If he played now he'd probably take 12 a game. 

The really weird stat. His junior year he shot 55.6% (all twos). His senior year, he was 53% from three, as you noted. But his overall shooting percentage fell to 47%, because he was only 43.8% from two. Even with the addition of the 3 point shot, his scoring average actually decreased from 22.5 to 22.0. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He looked sloppy and not very athletic.  Is he product of playing against lesser competition?   Nothing in that highlight video made me think he was going to dominate at the college level. Am i missing something?  He is obviously ranked high.

He plays at Monteverde so no…although those were AAU highlights. My hope is in a more controlled and organized setting he actually looks better but I wasn’t terribly impressed either. I didn’t see anything in his game that screamed out to me. He has a low/flatish release oh his shot, his handles don’t look tight, you can barely fit a phone book under his feet when he jumps…but yet he was making plays…so maybe he is just unorthodoxed but effective.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A Maryland site had this to say:

"Maryland still leads for five-star Derik Queen, with Indiana and its massive NIL money still looking like the biggest threat. But no one has expressed much concern about that."

Maybe Maryland does lead, maybe they don't.  But NIL money is not the only reason he would come here. 

• Like 2

Just like Rutgers and Dylan, I’m just not seeing what Maryland brings to the table for top talent? Woody had to convince his own staff that they could sit at the table with top 10 talent! I think so many talking heads are just that talking heads!? I don’t see anyway Maryland actually leads in this recruitment!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Just like Rutgers and Dylan, I’m just not seeing what Maryland brings to the table for top talent? Woody had to convince his own staff that they could sit at the table with top 10 talent! I think so many talking heads are just that talking heads!? I don’t see anyway Maryland actually leads in this recruitment!!

Home town team

16 hours ago, Madison22 said:

A Maryland site had this to say:

"Maryland still leads for five-star Derik Queen, with Indiana and its massive NIL money still looking like the biggest threat. But no one has expressed much concern about that."

Maybe Maryland does lead, maybe they don't.  But NIL money is not the only reason he would come here. 

Same vibe as the Rutgers article for Harper...

image.jpeg.aed0d5ef28ad4c50b7fc1e69d992491c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Think the Hoosiers will strike out on all 3, Bidunga, Queen and Harper??

Considering how many players IU's staff is on, it's completely possible that they don't get any of these three and still end up with a good class.  If I were guessing, considering how many schools are chasing all three, it's probably 50/50 that one ends up at IU.  Two of the three would be a pretty amazing haui for IU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Think the Hoosiers will strike out on all 3, Bidunga, Queen and Harper??

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Considering how many players IU's staff is on, it's completely possible that they don't get any of these three and still end up with a good class.  If I were guessing, considering how many schools are chasing all three, it's probably 50/50 that one ends up at IU.  Two of the three would be a pretty amazing haui for IU.

If they get even one of those guys and a combination of any of the others they are in on, we'd have a great class. I would guess Queen is the guy IU is most likely to get of these three. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I’m not sure strike out is the right phrase. We were never the favorite for any, and each one has a pretty obvious landing spot. Asa, Liam, Boogie, Mustaf, etc are very good options. 

I can somewhat live with that as long as we wrap up Sisley and Haralson in 2025.  Bidunga would be like 2 highly rated big men that got out of state in 2 years and that sucks.  Particularly if Duke ends up being the choice for Bidunga.  The special about that program walked out the door a few years ago.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...