NBA Thread

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I watched part of the ESPYS this week and it reminded me of when Peyton was the host and he roasted Durant.  5 years later nothing has changed and Durant is still in biggest P in all of sports. 

Some of the NBA stars like Durant come across as humorless, self-important, and (insert your favorite off color word).  Makes you appreciate the guys like Steph Curry and Giannis.  They have enthusiasm and are very positive.  Easy to root for them and to facepalm when you see the Durant’s and the Kyrie’s.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some of the NBA stars like Durant come across as humorless, self-important, and (insert your favorite off color word).  Makes you appreciate the guys like Steph Curry and Giannis.  They have enthusiasm and are very positive.  Easy to root for them and to facepalm when you see the Durant’s and the Kyrie’s.  

Yeah, Durant's reaction there was that of a giant douchebag.  I guess I didn't realize he was that thin-skinned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:41 PM, DC2345 said:

He’s 21. He’s shown flashes and with his wingspan could develop into a good wing defender. He also played at Iowa State with Haliburton. He’s got upside to try and develop this year when you aren’t looking to compete.

He would just eat into minutes for Duarte and Mathurin imo. I don’t want his salary on the books for two more years either. I’m looking to clear the deck so that after this year and adding hopefully another top 5 pick we can add some strategic veterans in either trades or with cap space. NBA is about shooting…and he just doesn’t rate highly in that regard…even if he played with Hali in college. If he is part of trade I’d rather move him along to another team for a different piece or another pick.

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Since it's the off season, I thought I'd make my yearly NBA contribution. This was a commercial down here in Houston about 5 years ago...

I remember that commercial…my wife thought it was hilarious…I didn’t know there was a longer cut lol. She will love this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I remember that commercial…my wife thought it was hilarious…I didn’t know there was a longer cut lol. She will love this.

By strange coincidence, my oldest daughter is going to see The Backstreet Boys tonight in St Louis.

Back when she was about 13 and they were at the apex of their fame, she told me they were going to be bigger than the Beatles.

I immediately took her in for drug testing. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

By strange coincidence, my oldest daughter is going to see The Backstreet Boys tonight in St Louis.

Back when she was about 13 and they were at the apex of their fame, she told me they were going to be bigger than the Beatles.

I immediately took her in for drug testing. 

Well my wife has been to see NKOTB like at least a dozen times…I’d say your daughter is close to her age….I caught her streaming old TRL episodes the other day. Geez…it was like Backstreet vs *NSYNC vs Britney vs Korn lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

His career has been an intriguing one to watch; it's a little puzzling to me that he has never stuck anywhere.

He averages a double double Per 36 for his career with decent ability to stretch the floor. Hope he works out for the Celts, he seems like a very good depth big to me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

His career has been an intriguing one to watch; it's a little puzzling to me that he has never stuck anywhere.

He averages a double double Per 36 for his career with decent ability to stretch the floor. Hope he works out for the Celts, he seems like a very good depth big to me. 

Agree. The potential has always been there to at least be a decent, long-term NBA role guy. I kind of lost track of him after Portland, though do remember seeing him have some success with the Knicks that made me think maybe he found his way in the league. 

I think maybe his biggest issue has just been focus and effort. I get the sense that he's kind of just along for the ride, as opposed to a role player that's going to come in and bust his butt, play hard all the time, etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. The potential has always been there to at least be a decent, long-term NBA role guy. I kind of lost track of him after Portland, though do remember seeing him have some success with the Knicks that made me think maybe he found his way in the league. 

I think maybe his biggest issue has just been focus and effort. I get the sense that he's kind of just along for the ride, as opposed to a role player that's going to come in and bust his butt, play hard all the time, etc.

To me that is it. Has the talent and tools…doesn’t have the drive and desire to be great or attempt to be committed to being good. Effort…some guys have always gotten by on talent and size alone but don’t want to put in the work to get better. He has gotten by on that alone. Now he isn’t good enough to do that. Honestly it’s why I don’t understand why NBA teams don’t tell kids to stay in school at minimum 2-3 years. Make these kids prove they are in it to work hard and get better…prove it with some consistency. That said they can’t help themselves and why they get burned more often than not.

• Like 2

Vonley is a guy who doesn't do anything for me.  He has made millions being a player of zero consequence and I don't say that lightly.  He is very fortunate the basketball system was set up to allow that because he makes way more than any relevance he has.  When I think of players who add value in terms of winning, he is the last guy I would think of.  If that sounds harsh, it's the truth.  If the Celtics add him, that would surprise.  They want to add depth but they are a winning team that plays the right way and that's not his game.  Look at their bench.  Grant Williams, Pritchard, etc.  They are tough kids who play the right way.  Vonleh brings rebounding but he doesn't match the makeup of what the Celtics have on the bench.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, Billingsley99 said:

I watched part of the ESPYS this week and it reminded me of when Peyton was the host and he roasted Durant.  5 years later nothing has changed and Durant is still in biggest P in all of sports. 

Remember this young man…think he was the hero of every parent. Played happily for a small market, always had a smile on his face, loved the game above anything else, humble….how fast things can change.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Remember this young man…think he was the hero of every parent. Played happily for a small market, always had a smile on his face, loved the game above anything else, humble….how fast things can change.

I’d still be happy if my kids turn out like Durant lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I’d still be happy if my kids turn out like Durant lol

Guess I didn’t word that right…I don’t know anything about him personally so I shouldn’t say that…I have no clue if I want my kid to turn out like him….just that he went from being the beloved fan favorite to at this point he is one of the most disliked players in the NBA.

Edited by dgambill

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Guess I didn’t word that right…I don’t know anything about him personally so I shouldn’t say that…I have no clue if I want my kid to turn out like him….just that he went from being the beloved fan favorite to at this point he is one of the most disliked players in the NBA.

That's fair. I think he's still a good dude, he just has thin skin. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's fair. I think he's still a good dude, he just has thin skin. 

Oh no doubt. I would think he is a good person outside basketball…seems to be. But no doubt his public persona from all the drama the past 8 years has certainly changed the perception of him among fans…but that might not really matter much to him as it doesn’t matter a lot to most.  While I try to live my life to help and be kind to others…in the end I don’t lose a wink of sleep at night worrying…because I generally don’t do anything I would regret and if I did I quickly and fully apologize and take responsibility for it. So those who know me know the real me…and I bet that is how Kevin feels….but yeah he can’t take a joke…for sure hasn’t learned that lesson yet.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rico said:

Not sure how I feel about that one. Ja is a ball dominant guard (like a young Russell Westbrook…but more willing passer). Does that work well with Durant? Also deal would have to involve Bane who would be the perfect compliment shooter to Durant. I think Memphis has a great mix…don’t think they should upset it. They should be looking to add a veteran piece similar to what Pelicans did with CJ. 

I wonder what the Nets feel about Mitchell. Honestly to me if they like him this is the perfect trade. Jazz get to move Mitchell and some veteran pieces they have acquired. Durant goes to 3rd team for a boat load of draft picks and maybe just a couple young player…does the Jazz have interest in Ayton or Bridges/Johnson?? Seems Ainge wants picks…Nets want players…Anyways I don’t see a trade really happening. I don’t think the Nets want to trade him.

Edited by dgambill