High School Hoops '20-'21

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I won't lie.  The last two Silver Creek teams were better than this one.  Everyone thought this one would be the best, but it just never came together.  They shot the ball much better than this team.  This team was prone to sloppy play as well.  

Kooper Jacobi is a baller, and don't be surprised if he grad transfers from Toledo to a bigger school down the road.   

Congrats.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Watched a bit of the 3A game with Trey Kaufman.  Realizing this sounds like sour grapes, but he seemed slow, lazy...did I catch a bad segment?  He has size, but did not see motor for next level of competition.  

I’ve seen him a handful or less live and about the same in streamed games.  He is extremely agile and versatile for his size and has great instincts ...he’s never been a “maul you inside” type kid when I’ve seen him play but if the games Ive seen he looked noticeably out of it yesterday. Five fouls is a silver creek guy and sees him way more so he’s the one to ask but there were an excessive number of possessions where he was outside the three point line and would get a touch and not even consider doing anything with the ball nor move much after distributing it.  Now it could be that the game plan was to keep him outside so Leo’s big was stretched and let Jacobi take over ( which happened ) and maybe trey wasn’t pumped about the game plan ? But he’s never ever shown me even for a second that he’s a me first guy or selfish player so Yhats hard to swallow.  To me I honestly had him maybe feeling sick or ill as the first thought in my head for how he was moving and odd long and short with his inside shots. 

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Feel like my head is still spinning going back and forth between Carmel winning title and F4 game. Congrats to Carmel and LN phenomenal game as well. Wow...what a night of hoops in Indy that will be remembered forever.

Great call I was literally doing the same I intended to watch final four recorded but so many people kept messaging about it I had to try and do both ....unreal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Great call I was literally doing the same I intended to watch final four recorded but so many people kept messaging about it I had to try and do both ....unreal

I think I missed this until I was looking at box scores this morning. Lawrence North went 6-17 from the line. Those numbers are going to sit with a team for a looooooooooooong time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I missed this until I was looking at box scores this morning. Lawrence North went 6-17 from the line. Those numbers are going to sit with a team for a looooooooooooong time. 

Yep.  In part due to IU's problems at the line, and the fact that Silver Creek struggled all year there as well, I've really started paying attention to how teams do at the line.  More than ever, I appreciate kids that can go 6-6 or 7-8 at the line during a game.  There's just not as many out there that can do that as there used to be.  I honestly don't think it's emphasized in practice as much as it should.  There are probably coaches that don't want to spend valuable practice time on it and expect the kids to do it on there own, which may or may not be happening.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yep.  In part due to IU's problems at the line, and the fact that Silver Creek struggled all year there as well, I've really started paying attention to how teams do at the line.  More than ever, I appreciate kids that can go 6-6 or 7-8 at the line during a game.  There's just not as many out there that can do that as there used to be.  I honestly don't think it's emphasized in practice as much as it should.  There are probably coaches that don't want to spend valuable practice time on it and expect the kids to do it on there own, which may or may not be happening.  

And that's the part that just won't make sense to me. In a driving world or getting to the rim world.....players will be at the free throw line so much you'd think it would be 1B in practice.

I was just the opposite when I played. People were always bigger, faster,etc.....but since Alford was my idle growing up I made sure I was 90% from the line too.

6-17 is a number they'll (players and coaches) be looking at forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

And that's the part that just won't make sense to me. In a driving world or getting to the rim world.....players will be at the free throw line so much you'd think it would be 1B in practice.

I was just the opposite when I played. People were always bigger, faster,etc.....but since Alford was my idle growing up I made sure I was 90% from the line too.

6-17 is a number they'll (players and coaches) be looking at forever.

Ok.. none of these kids have ever played in BLF before (LN kids haven't). 

SC shot right at 70% from the line as a team.. absolutely nothing wrong with that %... and no you cannot devote too much practice time to FTS. 

Kids can get extra time in themselves, but you are going to make FTs the 2nd largest part of practice, ever. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

SC shot 70% from the foul line. That's a very solid number. I guess I don't understand why SC would need to change ANYTHING they do in practice? 

They have a 3 peat if it weren't for Rona. 

Basketball isn't a sport you can vastly improve in just the 2 hours a day to practice. They should be shooting FTs on their own, there isn't time in practice (or much) for FTs. 

@Seeking6 @5fouls 

Have you guys ever put together a practice plan? Or seen how time consuming shooting even 20 FTs is? 

Something you don't have time for on a consistent basis, in practice. 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

SC shot 70% from the foul line. That's a very solid number. I guess I don't understand why SC would need to change ANYTHING they do in practice? 

They have a 3 peat if it weren't for Rona. 

Basketball isn't a sport you can vastly improve in just the 2 hours a day to practice. They should be shooting FTs on their own, there isn't time in practice (or much) for FTs. 

@Seeking6 @5fouls 

Have you guys ever put together a practice plan? Or seen how time consuming shooting even 20 FTs is? 

Something you don't have time for on a consistent basis, in practice. 

In high school, we always finished practice with conditioning. Sprints, suicides etc.

We would do a few suicides. Then coach picks a random player to shoot free throws. Make 2 in a row, we go home. Miss one, we run another suicide and coach picks another player to shoot.

Seems simple, but it really paid off in games when you had big free throws, you were winded, and the whole team is counting on you.

It also forced us to work on our free throws on our own as none of us wanted to be the reason we ran til we puked.  Lol

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

In high school, we always finished practice with conditioning. Sprints, suicides etc.

We would do a few suicides. Then coach picks a random player to shoot free throws. Make 2 in a row, we go home. Miss one, we run another suicide and coach picks another player to shoot.

Seems simple, but it really paid off in games when you had big free throws, you were winded, and the whole team is counting on you.

It also forced us to work on our free throws on our own as none of us wanted to be the reason we ran til we puked.  Lol

Correct. About the only time you can do it. 

We do that, a couple of different ways. 

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What’s your scouting report on Pete Suder?  You used to hear his name in the early listings for that class much more than you do now.  

I think he matured/grew before other guys and they caught up to him. He’s probably a low major/mid major guy IMO. Maybe a Ball State/ISU kind of guy. 

• Thanks 2