Offseason 2022

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If you look at the past few champions you will see teams where they had players stay 4 years like Villanova, Baylor and UNC. They all had older players and it didn't hurt them with players staying.

Yeah I think there’s a balance.

What if TJD comes back, JHS is a Day 1 stud and Bates takes a step… we win it all, they all get drafted. That’s going to help recruiting the most, right?

We show we can win, we can develop guys, we can help guys reach their potential early…. We can be a destination for any player then. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you look at the past few champions you will see teams where they had players stay 4 years like Villanova, Baylor and UNC. They all had older players and it didn't hurt them with players staying.

Yeah the one and done model for winning a championship is a thing of the past. Teams that win might still have them but experienced guard play or even just overall experience is the way to go now.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've tried a couple times to explain to our visiting friends on here and in the theme of consistency I'll say the same thing. We want TJD to go to the pros. We want him to get drafted and contribute. The sooner that happens...the sooner Coach Woodson can point to guys and say I can do the same for you.

As a selfish college fan I'd love for TJD to return. We could put up 25 wins next year....but long term the sooner we get guys to the league the sooner recruiting becomes just a bit easier.

*I know someone will come along and point out Kentucky results soon so I'll add I know. 

One area where Woodson has something on most other college coaches, he doesn't have to prove he can develop NBA guys...he has already done that.  What he did in Atlanta was basically that.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I think there’s a balance.

What if TJD comes back, JHS is a Day 1 stud and Bates takes a step… we win it all, they all get drafted. That’s going to help recruiting the most, right?

We show we can win, we can develop guys, we can help guys reach their potential early…. We can be a destination for any player then. 

I'm good with that balance...as long as it's not a Wisconsin balance of having "experience" and 4 24 year olds playing vs 18 year olds and flaming out early. 

Balance as you say is the key. Baylor and Nova have great balance. 7 draft picks in 1st two rounds last couple years. I like that balance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseys4Hope said:

Do y'all have a lot of good analysis here? The boards for MBB out here in the Pac12 are always dead, especially this time of year.

This board slows down during the summer, but it’s never really dead. Late summer/early fall has been helped by the recent run of IU football (2021 not withstanding…ugh). 

The Indiana fan base is for the most part fairly to extremely basketball savvy, so if anything, we tend to boil everything down to the n-th degree and over analyze. Indiana is also unique in the sense that there’s a fairly large segment of the fan base that are staunch basketball “traditionalists”, both off and on the court. Most are somewhere in the middle, but you won’t find many “win at all costs/be as modern and edgy as possible” fans. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I’d think it’s going to be that he’s going to test the waters for the NBA draft. I can’t imagine we’ll hear anything about his true decision until June. But I know nothing.

My gut also says he stays….and Race leaves. 

With Woody's history, connections and knowledge. Does anyone think that TJD can learn anything from testing the waters that he hasn't already been told? I can not imagine that CMW hasn't commented to TJD as well as relayed comments from his peers in the league already. To me, TJD working out for the league is like studying for a test that you already know what the questions and answers are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah the one and done model for winning a championship is a thing of the past. Teams that win might still have them but experienced guard play or even just overall experience is the way to go now.

You need NBA talent to win, not necessarily one and done types. Talent is the way and always has been. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

You need NBA talent to win, not necessarily one and done types. Talent is the way and always has been. 

Well yeah of course you need talent, nobody is saying you don't, but it doesn't have to be all these 5-star players just passing through college to get to the NBA. Most championship teams have experience, just look at this years title game. It was mostly all upperclassmen with a few sophomores sprinkled in getting most of the playing time. And I think the only one to play in the title game that is a projected lottery pick is Agbaji.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

With Woody's history, connections and knowledge. Does anyone think that TJD can learn anything from testing the waters that he hasn't already been told? I can not imagine that CMW hasn't commented to TJD as well as relayed comments from his peers in the league already. To me, TJD working out for the league is like studying for a test that you already know what the questions and answers are.

I’m not 100% sure that’s the point. Teams can watch him workout, determine if he is a piece they need and hint if they are interested in drafting or signing him. It’s not all about feedback from a development standpoint, it’s also about gauging interest from teams to determine if he’s has a realistic chance at a contract. He can’t do that if he doesn’t meet with them.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Never just take the word of 1 person.  Just because CMW says X doesn't make it law.  He could get multiple levels of feedback that reinforce or contradict what CMW says.  He might get feedback that he would be better off going to another team and playing in a different style offense.  Coaches/scouts also get a chance to see him up close and personal for a specific time period and see how he does outside of the IU offense and coaching staff.

There is a ton that can be learned from both sides.  In my opinion

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Never just take the word of 1 person.  Just because CMW says X doesn't make it law.  He could get multiple levels of feedback that reinforce or contradict what CMW says.  He might get feedback that he would be better off going to another team and playing in a different style offense.  Coaches/scouts also get a chance to see him up close and personal for a specific time period and see how he does outside of the IU offense and coaching staff.

There is a ton that can be learned from both sides.  In my opinion

My point, that I didn't develop well, was this wouldn't only be feed back from CMW. What I imagine happens (and this is my assumption) during these workouts, are some designed maneuvers that everyone does and they get graded against one another. With CMW being in the league for what 85 yrs? I would imagine he assigns some of those anyway and there is tape. I also assume he would share that to all of his scout buddies, have his scout buddies attend practices, talk to his buddies about his evaluation.. yadda yadda yadda... If CMW promotes or is building our kids for their future, I bet he is doing all of these things. 

I'm probably just being to simplistic, but I can't imagine that there is much more to learn, than what COULD HAVE already been learned by/ shared with CMW's buddies. That's all. 

50 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My point, that I didn't develop well, was this wouldn't only be feed back from CMW. What I imagine happens (and this is my assumption) during these workouts, are some designed maneuvers that everyone does and they get graded against one another. With CMW being in the league for what 85 yrs? I would imagine he assigns some of those anyway and there is tape. I also assume he would share that to all of his scout buddies, have his scout buddies attend practices, talk to his buddies about his evaluation.. yadda yadda yadda... If CMW promotes or is building our kids for their future, I bet he is doing all of these things. 

I'm probably just being to simplistic, but I can't imagine that there is much more to learn, than what COULD HAVE already been learned by/ shared with CMW's buddies. That's all. 

Again, its not all about what CMW says and does.  He could be right.  He could be old school.  He could have a belief that 70% of other coaches don't believe.  Maybe it will be good for Trace to hear the same thing reinforced by other coaches or to hear a different way to do the same thing CMW has said.  Just because CMW has 85 years of NBA experience doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for and listen to other opinions.  

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

16 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That would break down to roughly $35k per athlete.  I said it before, get the Cook's involved in starting something with their billions of dollars and you would have enough to pay these guys a salary.

The Cook's, the Simon's, and maybe Cuban.  Get seed money from them, set up a foundation or foundations, and hire the players to do charity work or advertising or whatever. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Then we need a 3 point shooting wing from the portal.  Every guard and forward on the team better be working on the 3 ball all summer.  We should be in the BIG discussion preseason.

If we get a shooter or two or if a few players already on the team improves from the arc, with those two possibly returning I can easily see IU Top 15 to start the season. Which would make me do the happy dance lol.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That would break down to roughly $35k per athlete.  I said it before, get the Cook's involved in starting something with their billions of dollars and you would have enough to pay these guys a salary.

The Cook's, the Simon's, and maybe Cuban.  Get seed money from them, set up a foundation or foundations, and hire the players to do charity work or advertising or whatever. 

Cooks are involved 

• Like 3