2024 F Liam McNeeley Decommits from Indiana

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Only reason he isn't at Duke is two forwards came back that was expected to be back. Had nothing to do with the coaches. Also on Flagg I said pretty much a lick, not a total lock  and bet your mortgage on it

And you know this how? An email to Jon Scheyer? :) 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Only reason he isn't at Duke is two forwards came back that was expected to be back. Had nothing to do with the coaches. Also on Flagg I said pretty much a lock, not a total lock  and bet your mortgage on it

So Scheyer expected Filipowski and Mitchell back and he relayed that to Mgbako during the recruitment? 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

So do you think Scheyer told Mgbako he thought they'd come back? 

I think it was pretty obvious the way things went down that when Mgbako committed to Duke last Fall the expectation was that those guys were leaving Duke. 

Almost immediately after those guys announced they were coming back, Mgbako asked put. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No I don't because it was a surprise they came back especially Filipkowski?

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think it was pretty obvious the way things went down that when Mgbako committed to Duke last Fall the expectation was that those guys were leaving Duke. 

Almost immediately after those guys announced they were coming back, Mgbako asked put. 

I understand both comments, but you have to wonder what Scheyer said to Mgbako and his family when he committed...

Mac's Mom was awfully adamant in seeking out Mike Woodson when Mac decommitted...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand both comments, but you have to wonder what Scheyer said to Mgbako and his family when he committed...

Mac's Mom was awfully adamant in seeking out Mike Woodson when Mac decommitted...

He probably said he thought those guys would be in the NBA next season and Mgbako would slide right in those roles. 

It was a bit of a surprise that either guy came back. 

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

He probably said he thought those guys would be in the NBA next season and Mgbako would slide right in those roles. 

Yeah, I understand that...Mgbako did commit awfully early to Duke (April of 22)...guess that's a lesson in patience ... 

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm curious...don't know if you have any insight or not, but why did these guys come back?  Statistically, both were better than Lively.

What causes these guys to stay and JHS to go?

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm curious...don't know if you have any insight or not, but why did these guys come back?  Statistically, both were better than Lively.

What causes these guys to stay and JHS to go?

Filipkowski struggled early and really came on at the end. Filipkowski is in a unique position where he is one of the few guys who actually stands a chance of improving his stock by coming back. Filipkowski was probably a late first round pick last year, mid-first rounder at best. Think he stands a chance of getting drafted top 10 if he has a really good year.

Lively was drafted strictly on size and potential. Had he come back to Duke and had another meh year he risks falling out of the first round altogether. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

That sounds VERY promising and if we get McNeely I feel our chances for Queen sky rocket.

I think our biggest competition for Queen is Maryland and for McNeeley is Texas. If they want to play together IU is pretty much the only common denominator. With that being said Does Queen want to be a one and done? Is he too similar to TJD? Not that being similar to TJD is a bad thing but Woody wants to be a faced laser run and gun NBA style and said he had to change because of TJD. Does getting Queen affect that? I’d take Queen in a heart beat as he hustled and I think plays bigger than he is but if I remember correctly he is literally just a back to his back post player. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think our biggest competition for Queen is Maryland and for McNeeley is Texas. If they want to play together IU is pretty much the only common denominator. With that being said Does Queen want to be a one and done? Is he too similar to TJD? Not that being similar to TJD is a bad thing but Woody wants to be a faced laser run and gun NBA style and said he had to change because of TJD. Does getting Queen affect that? I’d take Queen in a heart beat as he hustled and I think plays bigger than he is but if I remember correctly he is literally just a back to his back post player. 

Given that our interest in all bigs other than Queen has apparently cooled considerably, I'm guessing the staff thinks he fits their preferred style.

Edited by IUProfessor

50 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Queen isn't an All-American in college like TJD was under Woodson. TJD also didn't have 4 good shooters around him so the offense made sense to start with him. Woodson can still have an inside player as long as he has 4 players than can extend the floor to have the offense he wants and he's trying to recruit those types. Queen already shows signs of being a really good passer, which helps.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Queen isn't an All-American in college like TJD was under Woodson. TJD also didn't have 4 good shooters around him so the offense made sense to start with him. Woodson can still have an inside player as long as he has 4 players than can extend the floor to have the offense he wants and he's trying to recruit those types. Queen already shows signs of being a really good passer, which helps.

Yes definitely didn’t mean all American like TJD meant more of back to basket type player only. With that being said you make some good points for sure!

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

dont want to turn this into a queen thread, but i dont know if you can say that yet. I think Queen is a better rated recruit than TJD was.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Nice find, IUFLA!  

I don't know who this guy is, but this post sure brightened my day.

image.png.6eeb7822194a251d0d46b6a07797f5a8.png

Nice find! 

Couple other things to feel good about:

-Other than Queen posting a pic of the posters on his bed, he didn’t post anything else from his Kansas visit. He definitely did for his IU and Maryland visits FWIW.

-Liam clearly follows IU fan accounts or searches his name on Twitter. Anyway, I’ve seen him like plenty of tweets recently about what our recruiting class could be and how important he is to making that come to fruition. He’s definitely aware that him committing first could cause a domino effect. 

ECD23620-BB61-4810-A975-5319A69C35BC.png

• Like 1